Old 03-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Philipp Riegger

Default Summer of Code Proposal: GNAP Love

Good morning,

I have some ideas for Summer of Code which i'd like to discuss with you.

I'm mostly interested in making GNAP usable and my proposal includes
lots of tasks in GNAP and catalyst, of which i'd like to finish as many
as possible and do some research on the rest.

catalyst tasks:

• Squashfs snapshot support
I don't like it, that it takes so much time to unpack a new snapshot and
it takes so much disk space to store it. Plan is: distribute tree
snapshots as squashfs images, mount them directly into the workdir,
use /mnt/distfiles and /mnt/packages instead of snapshot subdirectories.

• (Squashfs seedstage support)
Maybe the same is possible for stages? A future plan for this could be
to mount the squashfs image directly and use unionfs for the real work,
but i have no idea how deleting files in such a setup works. Research is
necessary here.

• uclibc-cross-compiling support
Cross compiling is hard, but it should be possible to build arch-uclibc
from arch. Research, what needs to be done combined with the
implementation, if possible. This would also make GNAP more flexible.

• Documentation
In an email from some days ago i read, that documentation is planed for
after the release. I could support this and proofread it, since i need
the knowledge anyway.

• (Code cleanups)
I write this everywhere, but since i need a basic understanding, i have
to read (parts of) the source and maybe i find something worth
improving.

• Cross compiling research
This is the continuation of the uclibc stuff with some plans on what
could be done how.

• Non-root builds research
Wouldn't it be nice if being root was not necessary for using catalyst?
I would like to look into the possibilities there and what is needed to
make it reality.

GNAP tasks:

• Code/Tree hosting, VCS
I've done some work last year and that does only exist as some patches,
since there is no central repository for GNAP development. First i'd
like to establish one and move all existing resources there.

• GNAP 2.1
There are some known and easy to fix bugs in GNAP 2.0. There have also
been some code cleanups. The last thing is, that the current GNAP is not
really usable, since the tree snapshot is so old, that most of the
distfiles are not fetchable from mirrors or other places. So i'd like to
make a new release, be it in the tree or in an overlay.

• Reimplementation in python research
Catalyst is written in python, maybe we could make better use of it if
we reimplemented some parts of GNAP in python? This is just a research
item, i'd like to look into it and form some statement about it. I'll
probably not do it.

• uclibc-cross-compiling support
This depends on catalyst.

• (Cross-compiling support)
My last years project. My thoughts/plans about that should be discussed
with the community and put on the GNAP development website.

• GNAP releases, long term support
This is just an idea i have. Think of something like this: With each
gentoo release, we take the release snapshot, form our reduced GNAP
snapshot (only supported profiles, unsupported USE flags masked,
unneeded ebuilds (X, desktop stuff) not in the tree) and support it for
some time security wise (like the releng team does during release). This
is more of a research topic, with informing what needs to be done,
writing of scripts, maybe doing a proof of concept (maintaining a
snapshot for some weeks to see how it works).

Thanks for reading this, any comments are welcome, constructive,
destructive, "this is not necessary" and "i like to see this one", and
most of all "i/we've been working on this with the following results".
This is not about occupying me, this is about helping.

I set the Reply-To to gnap-dev, you're welcome to join there, it's
really really low traffic at the moment.

Philipp

Old 03-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Andrew Gaffney

Philipp Riegger wrote:

Good morning,

I have some ideas for Summer of Code which i'd like to discuss with you.

I'm mostly interested in making GNAP usable and my proposal includes
lots of tasks in GNAP and catalyst, of which i'd like to finish as many
as possible and do some research on the rest.

catalyst tasks:

• Squashfs snapshot support
I don't like it, that it takes so much time to unpack a new snapshot and
it takes so much disk space to store it. Plan is: distribute tree
snapshots as squashfs images, mount them directly into the workdir,
use /mnt/distfiles and /mnt/packages instead of snapshot subdirectories.

Eh, I've never found unpacking a new snapshot to be all that cumbersome. While
it probably wouldn't take much to implement this, I don't like the idea. At
least, I'd never use it, since it would remove the ability to poke around in the
snapshot_cache.

• (Squashfs seedstage support)
Maybe the same is possible for stages? A future plan for this could be
to mount the squashfs image directly and use unionfs for the real work,
but i have no idea how deleting files in such a setup works. Research is
necessary here.

This isn't really feasible.

• uclibc-cross-compiling support
Cross compiling is hard, but it should be possible to build arch-uclibc
from arch. Research, what needs to be done combined with the
implementation, if possible. This would also make GNAP more flexible.

If you want a uclibc stage, use a profile that has uclibc as the default
virtual/libc provider.

• Documentation
In an email from some days ago i read, that documentation is planed for
after the release. I could support this and proofread it, since i need
the knowledge anyway.

It's planned for some time in the future when the people who have the knowledge
to write the documentation find the time and motivation.

• (Code cleanups)
I write this everywhere, but since i need a basic understanding, i have
to read (parts of) the source and maybe i find something worth
improving.

Catalyst is definitely in need of code cleanups. However, that's just a result
of a codebase that's changed hands multiple times over many years. We do random
cleanups already as we encounter code that needs it.

• Cross compiling research
This is the continuation of the uclibc stuff with some plans on what
could be done how.

Like I said on IRC, this is vapier's territory.

• Non-root builds research
Wouldn't it be nice if being root was not necessary for using catalyst?
I would like to look into the possibilities there and what is needed to
make it reality.

Mostly, this would require the ability to do "random" bind-mounts and chroot.
The only "sane" way to do this is to make catalyst suid root.

Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator

Old 03-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Philipp Riegger

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 09:17 -0500, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> Philipp Riegger wrote:
> > • Squashfs snapshot support
> > I don't like it, that it takes so much time to unpack a new snapshot and
> > it takes so much disk space to store it. Plan is: distribute tree
> > snapshots as squashfs images, mount them directly into the workdir,
> > use /mnt/distfiles and /mnt/packages instead of snapshot subdirectories.
>
> Eh, I've never found unpacking a new snapshot to be all that cumbersome. While
> it probably wouldn't take much to implement this, I don't like the idea. At
> least, I'd never use it, since it would remove the ability to poke around in the
> snapshot_cache.

Well, i've been playing around with different snapshots over time and
i've also been renaming the snapshot with each change to be able to undo
a change. But in times of source control management, this should be
unnecessary.

The main point here seems to be, that we use catalyst in completely
different ways. While i see /var/tmp only as catalysts working dir you
work there. I usually try to do my change in the tree or overlay, tar
it, copy it to /var/tmp and restart catalyst.

> > • (Squashfs seedstage support)
> > Maybe the same is possible for stages? A future plan for this could be
> > to mount the squashfs image directly and use unionfs for the real work,
> > but i have no idea how deleting files in such a setup works. Research is
> > necessary here.
>
> This isn't really feasible.

Do you mean in the way of "doable" or "usable"? I'm thinking of
diskspace and speed, again.

> > • uclibc-cross-compiling support
> > Cross compiling is hard, but it should be possible to build arch-uclibc
> > from arch. Research, what needs to be done combined with the
> > implementation, if possible. This would also make GNAP more flexible.
>
> If you want a uclibc stage, use a profile that has uclibc as the default
> virtual/libc provider.

Is that possible? Last time i checked, i needed an uclibc seedstage,
because otherwise catalyst wanted to build uclibc on a glibc system and
they were blocking each other.

> > • (Code cleanups)
> > I write this everywhere, but since i need a basic understanding, i have
> > to read (parts of) the source and maybe i find something worth
> > improving.
>
> Catalyst is definitely in need of code cleanups. However, that's just a result
> of a codebase that's changed hands multiple times over many years. We do random
> cleanups already as we encounter code that needs it.

So this might be an interesting task, which you would support? Or do you
think, it's already done all the time, this is not needed?

> > • Cross compiling research
> > This is the continuation of the uclibc stuff with some plans on what
> > could be done how.
>
> Like I said on IRC, this is vapier's territory.

But if we keep it like that, it's questionable when it will be done.
Maybe someone should look into vapiers thoughts and plans and work on
that.

Philipp

Old 03-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Philipp Riegger

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 13:57 +0100, Philipp Riegger wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I have some ideas for Summer of Code which i'd like to discuss with you.
[...]
> Philipp

Turns out, i won't have enough time for being a student in GSoC this
year. So, if another student plans to take over some of the tasks i
mentioned, he's more than welcome.

Philipp