-   Gentoo Catalyst (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-catalyst/)
-   -   Newbie/starter guide ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-catalyst/594607-newbie-starter-guide.html)

David Rault 11-04-2011 01:12 PM

Newbie/starter guide ?

Hi guys

i've been using gentoo for quite some time now but i'm totally new to
catalyst
i've dumped the livedvd image on a USB key and it works fine (with
persistence on secondary partition on the key)
but there are a few customisation i'd like to make (custom packages,
french locale, l10n for KDE, wifi settings/passkey for autostart...)

so i was considering building my own live distrib (on USB key)

yet i find it hard to get started (did not find many resources to get on
track)

* emerged catalyst
* read the man page
* checked out svn://anonsvn.gentoo.org/releng/trunk/releases/11.2
* browsed the catalyst page+FAQ on gentoo.org
* browsed/searched through the mail archives

is there :
- some docs somewhere else ?
- a script you guys might be using to perform autobuilds (and that might
prove useful) ?
- someone with a few minutes to write the few explanations needed to get
started (and understand what i'm doing)

right now i have a running system (clean install from last week!), a
freshly baked catalyst (2.0.6.918) and the official 11.2 spec files from svn

i guess the logical/easiest testrun would be to try and build the
official live myself before customising my own

thanks for your advice

David

Raśl Porcel 11-05-2011 05:07 PM

Newbie/starter guide ?

On 11/04/2011 03:12 PM, David Rault wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> i've been using gentoo for quite some time now but i'm totally new to
> catalyst
> i've dumped the livedvd image on a USB key and it works fine (with
> persistence on secondary partition on the key)
> but there are a few customisation i'd like to make (custom packages,
> french locale, l10n for KDE, wifi settings/passkey for autostart...)
> so i was considering building my own live distrib (on USB key)
>
> yet i find it hard to get started (did not find many resources to get on
> track)
> * emerged catalyst
> * read the man page
> * checked out svn://anonsvn.gentoo.org/releng/trunk/releases/11.2
> * browsed the catalyst page+FAQ on gentoo.org
> * browsed/searched through the mail archives
>
> is there :
> - some docs somewhere else ?
> - a script you guys might be using to perform autobuilds (and that might
> prove useful) ?
> - someone with a few minutes to write the few explanations needed to get
> started (and understand what i'm doing)
>
> right now i have a running system (clean install from last week!), a
> freshly baked catalyst (2.0.6.918) and the official 11.2 spec files from
> svn
>
> i guess the logical/easiest testrun would be to try and build the
> official live myself before customising my own
>
> thanks for your advice
>
> David

Hi David,

I wrote a small howto some months ago:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/howto_catalyst.txt

Although it doesn't cover installcds, and i have zero experience with
livecds/livedvds. I mean, i've played building installcds, which are
livecds but lack graphical interface, but thats pretty much it.
If you look at the installcds(i haven't looked at the livecds/dvds ones
from 10/11...) specs, you'll see they're quite simple.

The scripts for creating autobuilds are available here:
http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/releng/trunk/tools/

vapier also has a script to do autobuilds, although it only does
stage1-3: http://dev.gentoo.org/~vapier/build-stages

I agree that you should try to reproduce the 11.2 livecd/dvd(i don't
know if its a cd or dvd) and see if it builds+works out of the box.

Good luck