Old 02-14-2008, 01:41 AM
lurker

Default reference manual gone?

Greetings again,

I've been searching for the catalyst reference manual the last couple of
days but cannot seem to find it. It used to reside in
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst/2.x/reference.xml as
currently stated by
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=3#doc_chap4

I thinkg it was linked to from the catalyst main page
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst but now there's only the FAQ.

What's going on?

Old 02-14-2008, 06:01 AM
Chris Gianelloni

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 03:41 +0100, lurker wrote:
> What's going on?

I removed it because it was incorrect and I got tired of people using
it, then complaining that it's incorrect when the entire top of the
manual explained how it was incorrect.

Basically, I got tired of people not reading, then complaining to me
about it.

We'll be putting up a new manual once we get one written. Realize that
the "2.x" manual was *nothing* more than the 1.x manual renamed. It had
no useful content for anyone, really. The best (and only) official
documentation is the example specs, which are installed automatically by
catalyst.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead

Old 02-15-2008, 02:00 AM
"M. Edward (Ed) Borasky"

Chris Gianelloni wrote:

I removed it because it was incorrect and I got tired of people using
it, then complaining that it's incorrect when the entire top of the
manual explained how it was incorrect.

Basically, I got tired of people not reading, then complaining to me
about it.

We'll be putting up a new manual once we get one written. Realize that
the "2.x" manual was *nothing* more than the 1.x manual renamed. It had
no useful content for anyone, really. The best (and only) official
documentation is the example specs, which are installed automatically by
catalyst.

Speaking of example specs, are the ones for 2008.0 available publicly yet?

Old 02-15-2008, 02:06 AM
Andrew Gaffney

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

Chris Gianelloni wrote:

I removed it because it was incorrect and I got tired of people using
it, then complaining that it's incorrect when the entire top of the
manual explained how it was incorrect.

Basically, I got tired of people not reading, then complaining to me
about it.

We'll be putting up a new manual once we get one written. Realize that
the "2.x" manual was *nothing* more than the 1.x manual renamed. It had
no useful content for anyone, really. The best (and only) official
documentation is the example specs, which are installed automatically by
catalyst.

Speaking of example specs, are the ones for 2008.0 available publicly yet?

Yes, but they're still a work in progress, which they will be right up until we
actually release. They're available from the shiny new releng repo in gentoo's SVN.

Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator