Old 06-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Peter Stuge

Default Compile flag derivation logic (catalyst 2.x)

Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> >> Targets "stage3", "stage4", "generic_stage"
> >> 1) key "CFLAGS" subarch defaults
> >> 2) key "CFLAGS" earlier /etc/make.conf
> >
> > Are you saying that cflags specified in the spec file are totally
> > ignored for stage3 and stage4? That seems totally broken.
>
> That's my impression, yes.

Remember that the "proper" way to use catalyst is to build not only
the stage that you want but also those preceding it. So if you want a
stage4 then you should also build 1-2-3 first.

Considering that, it's not actually that bad an idea to only have
CFLAGS set while building stage 2, and later re-use that setting.

That said, this is kinda limited. I'm lazy so when I build my stage4
I start from a ready-made stage3 like I would on a manual install,
and sometimes I run into trouble because of it (perl 5.8->5.12 and
needing to hack perl-cleaner into the stage4 script), and I was
indeed expecting that my spec cflags would apply at least for what
got built in my stage4.

//Peter