-   Gentoo Catalyst (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-catalyst/)
-   -   Differences between 2.x and 3.x, future merging (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-catalyst/544340-differences-between-2-x-3-x-future-merging.html)

Raśl Porcel 06-25-2011 06:37 PM

On 06/25/2011 08:21 PM, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> Difference I have noticed (without searching) so far:
>
> - Subarch "sh4aeb" is not supported on 3.x but 2.x

Fixed :)

Sebastian Pipping 06-25-2011 06:47 PM

On 06/25/2011 08:37 PM, Raśl Porcel wrote:
> On 06/25/2011 08:21 PM, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
>> Difference I have noticed (without searching) so far:
>>
>> - Subarch "sh4aeb" is not supported on 3.x but 2.x
>
> Fixed :)

Looks like the class was already in there: on "make" my script throw an
assertion.

http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/catalyst.git;a=commitdiff;h=93bd6040e6324299664bde b132ce2a725c8f1b30

Still, thanks!

Best,

Sebastian

William Hubbs 06-25-2011 07:20 PM

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 02:26:33PM -0400, Matt Turner wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 2:21 PM, Sebastian Pipping <sping@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > Hello!
> >

> > The current process of copying changes from 2.x to 3.x or vice versa is
> > suboptimal, especially with no recent merge commit around.
> >
> > I would like to start this thread to list and discuss differences
> > between catalyst 2.x and 3.x so we can then decide what needs to be
> > merged in which direction and then have a single branch soon (ideally)
> > or at least two branches with clear and to-the-point diffs.
> >
> > Difference I have noticed (without searching) so far:
> >
> > *- Subarch "sh4aeb" is not supported on 3.x but 2.x
> >
> > *- Folder ./arch of 2.x is ./modules/catalyst/arch in 3.x
> >
> > Please add any differences you are aware of. *Many thanks!

There is a way to add the changes from catalyst_2 to master using git;
it will take someone who knows the code to make it happen, but you can
use rebase like so:

First, make sure that your copy of the repo is up to date and that you
have a branch called catalyst_2 that tracks the catalyst_2 branch. Then
do the following in the repo:

git checkout master
git rebase catalyst_2

Basically, this command will rework the master branch so that it
contains the changes that are only there but not in the catalyst_2
branch. You will have to resolve conflicts, then use git add and git
rebase--continue until that process is complete,.

Once you are done, run "git pull --rebase" to pick up the newest changes
in master, then git push to push everything back to master.

A conflict will look something like:

<<< HEAD
code
from
master
here
==========
code
from
other
branch
here
>>> catalyst_2

and you have to decide which piece of that code, or if it is parts of
both pieces, to keep, and remove the rest of it including the
<<< === and >>> lines.

For more info about how rebase works look at man git-rebase. Also I
learned a lot from http://progit.org/book and http://www.gitready.com.

Who knows the code well enough to do this?

Thanks,

William

William Hubbs 06-25-2011 08:25 PM

Differences between 2.x and 3.x, future merging

All,

doing the rebase may not be as hard as I first thought; I am playing
with it now and I'll let you know what I come up with.

William

Matt Turner 06-26-2011 02:22 AM

Differences between 2.x and 3.x, future merging

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 2:21 PM, Sebastian Pipping <sping@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Hello!
>

> The current process of copying changes from 2.x to 3.x or vice versa is
> suboptimal, especially with no recent merge commit around.
>
> I would like to start this thread to list and discuss differences
> between catalyst 2.x and 3.x so we can then decide what needs to be
> merged in which direction and then have a single branch soon (ideally)
> or at least two branches with clear and to-the-point diffs.
>
> Difference I have noticed (without searching) so far:
>
> *- Subarch "sh4aeb" is not supported on 3.x but 2.x
>
> *- Folder ./arch of 2.x is ./modules/catalyst/arch in 3.x
>
> Please add any differences you are aware of. *Many thanks!

As an aside, patches should go into master first, and cherry-picked
back to catalyst_2, not the other way around.

Matt