Old 06-25-2011, 02:07 AM
Matt Turner

Default catalyst's ccache USE flag seems a bit stupid

In the catalyst ebuild we have

# Here is where we actually enable ccache
use ccache &&
dosed 'sptions="autoresume kernptions="autoresume ccache kern:'
/etc/catalyst/catalyst.conf
dosed "s:/usr/lib/catalyst:/usr/$(get_libdir)/catalyst:"
/etc/catalyst/catalyst.conf

The ccache USE flag simply adds ccache to RDEPEND and trivially
modifies a .conf file.

Can we assume that people using catalyst are smart enough to realize
that if they turn on ccache in the .conf file that they need to
install ccache?

Matt

Old 06-25-2011, 02:17 AM
Sebastian Pipping

On 06/25/2011 04:07 AM, Matt Turner wrote:
> In the catalyst ebuild we have
>
> # Here is where we actually enable ccache
> use ccache &&
> dosed 'sptions="autoresume kernptions="autoresume ccache kern:'
> /etc/catalyst/catalyst.conf
> dosed "s:/usr/lib/catalyst:/usr/$(get_libdir)/catalyst:"
> /etc/catalyst/catalyst.conf
>
> The ccache USE flag simply adds ccache to RDEPEND and trivially
> modifies a .conf file.

Confirming.

> Can we assume that people using catalyst are smart enough to realize
> that if they turn on ccache in the .conf file that they need to
> install ccache?

I agree we can assume that^^^.

I am not sure what you are suggesting for change, though:

(A) Removing use flag ccache altogether?

That could result in the uninstallation of the
ccache package if it was the sole dependency of catalyst.
Correct?

(B) Remove the sed magic only?

That would remove the comfort of automatic addition
of option ccache. Any gains?

(C) Something else?

Best,

Sebastian