Old 01-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Åsmund Grammeltvedt

Default catalyst related kernel problem?

On Tuesday 08 January 2008 15:34:09 lurker wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Often when I build systems with catalyst I encounter the following
>
> kernel freeze after the boot loader has completed:
> > [ ... lots of kernel loading stuff which seems ok ... ]
> > Freeing unused kernel memory: 172k freed
> > request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
> > request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
> > request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
> > request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
> > request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000

I had an issue with the same symptoms. It turned out that after some builds,
the initramfs would contain empty files instead of links to busybox.

In my case, the only way I could get it to work consistently was to patch
genkernel to use symbolic links instead, when setting up the initramfs.

--
Åsmund Grammeltvedt
Snap TV

Old 01-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Andrew Gaffney

Åsmund Grammeltvedt wrote:

Often when I build systems with catalyst I encounter the following

kernel freeze after the boot loader has completed:

[ ... lots of kernel loading stuff which seems ok ... ]
Freeing unused kernel memory: 172k freed
request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000

I had an issue with the same symptoms. It turned out that after some builds,
the initramfs would contain empty files instead of links to busybox.

In my case, the only way I could get it to work consistently was to patch
genkernel to use symbolic links instead, when setting up the initramfs.

It would be nice if you would file a bug about this with as much information as
you have.

Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator

Old 01-08-2008, 03:25 PM
lurker

On 08/01/08 15:46, Åsmund Grammeltvedt wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 January 2008 15:34:09 lurker wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Often when I build systems with catalyst I encounter the following
>>
>> kernel freeze after the boot loader has completed:
>>> [ ... lots of kernel loading stuff which seems ok ... ]
>>> Freeing unused kernel memory: 172k freed
>>> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
>>> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
>>> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
>>> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
>>> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
>
> I had an issue with the same symptoms. It turned out that after some builds,
> the initramfs would contain empty files instead of links to busybox.
>
> In my case, the only way I could get it to work consistently was to patch
> genkernel to use symbolic links instead, when setting up the initramfs.

Interesting. Care to share any of the details? I'm not as well-versed in
catalys as I would like..

Old 01-12-2008, 12:20 AM
lurker

On 08/01/08 15:46, Åsmund Grammeltvedt wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 January 2008 15:34:09 lurker wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Often when I build systems with catalyst I encounter the following
>>
>> kernel freeze after the boot loader has completed:
>>> [ ... lots of kernel loading stuff which seems ok ... ]
>>> Freeing unused kernel memory: 172k freed
>>> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
>>> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
>>> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
>>> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
>>> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
>
> I had an issue with the same symptoms. It turned out that after some builds,
> the initramfs would contain empty files instead of links to busybox.
>
> In my case, the only way I could get it to work consistently was to patch
> genkernel to use symbolic links instead, when setting up the initramfs.

After upgrading to busybox-1.8.2 I've not experienced this any more.
Perhaps it's just a coincidence due to the random nature of this problem.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Chris Gianelloni

On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 02:20 +0100, lurker wrote:
> > In my case, the only way I could get it to work consistently was to patch
> > genkernel to use symbolic links instead, when setting up the initramfs.
>
> After upgrading to busybox-1.8.2 I've not experienced this any more.
> Perhaps it's just a coincidence due to the random nature of this problem.

Are you talking about the host system or in your genkernel.conf ?

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead

Old 01-12-2008, 04:15 PM
lurker

On 12/01/08 17:49, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 02:20 +0100, lurker wrote:
>>> In my case, the only way I could get it to work consistently was to patch
>>> genkernel to use symbolic links instead, when setting up the initramfs.
>> After upgrading to busybox-1.8.2 I've not experienced this any more.
>> Perhaps it's just a coincidence due to the random nature of this problem.
>
> Are you talking about the host system or in your genkernel.conf ?

What I did was simply to add busybox-1.8.2 to the stage3 build, then
rebuild the livecd stages and generate the iso. But now I realise that
it probably doesn't have anything to do with what genkernel do later on
(?) as genkernel seems to use its own busybox (version 1.1.3) which is
uses for its initrd images. So I guess I just was lucky...

Old 01-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Chris Gianelloni

On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 18:15 +0100, lurker wrote:
> >> After upgrading to busybox-1.8.2 I've not experienced this any more.
> >> Perhaps it's just a coincidence due to the random nature of this problem.
> >
> > Are you talking about the host system or in your genkernel.conf ?
>
> What I did was simply to add busybox-1.8.2 to the stage3 build, then
> rebuild the livecd stages and generate the iso. But now I realise that
> it probably doesn't have anything to do with what genkernel do later on
> (?) as genkernel seems to use its own busybox (version 1.1.3) which is
> uses for its initrd images. So I guess I just was lucky...

Well, sometimes luck counts... =]