Old 11-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Shinkan

Default LiveCD without Initrd

Hi again,

I would like to build a stage2 livecd which would contain a kernel without initrd.
I saw it is possible to specify genkernel options in spec file, so I put "--static", but how can I be sure Catalyst will not put any initrd reference in grub or things like this.

I would like to do this because I know my hardware targets so I do not want a "Gentoo LiveCD" like initrd which loads almost every possible driver at boot.

I'm open if is there's another solution than bypassing initrd.

--
Pierre.
"Sometimes when I'm talking, my words can't keep up with my thoughts. I wonder why we think faster than we speak. Probably so we can think twice." - Bill Watterson

Old 11-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Andrew Gaffney

On 11/27/2009 07:49 AM, Shinkan wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I would like to build a stage2 livecd which would contain a kernel
> without initrd.

The CD will not boot without an initramfs. The linuxrc in it is what mounts the
squashfs on the ISO and calls switch_root.

Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Genkernel + Release Engineering Lead

Old 11-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Shinkan

2009/11/27 Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@gentoo.org>

On 11/27/2009 07:49 AM, Shinkan wrote:

> Hi again,

> I would like to build a stage2 livecd which would contain a kernel

> without initrd.

The CD will not boot without an initramfs. The linuxrc in it is what mounts the

squashfs on the ISO and calls switch_root.

Right, silly me ...

Anyway, passing "--static" to genkernel gives a working boot sequence with no modules.
Thanks.
*

--

Andrew Gaffney * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/