FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Catalyst

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default Too many problems with groupadd when creating stage3

On Tuesday 20 October 2009 19:56:09 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 13:52 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Thursday 15 October 2009 13:50:40 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > or just fix catalyst
> >
> > erm, that's probably wrong. catalyst does what it's told as directed by
> > the portage tree profiles. so the profiles probably need tweaking to
> > produce a sane stage2.
>
> Tried it. If you'd prefer, I can pull up the list of bugs where we hit
> this on nearly every release, but since a viable solution was never
> reached, I don't see how it would help.
>
> Our main "fix" was to not build stages for desktop profiles, or to use a
> complete stage3 tarball as input for another stage3, but that's equally
> as broken.
>
> I'd *gladly* fix catalyst to work around this, if I had a clue how to do
> so. Hacking profiles ended up yielding nothing workable, just so
> everyone knows.

not sure why we're still even using this stage[123] system. seems like
catalyst could be implemented in all of three commands:
ROOT=/tmp/stage3_pre emerge system -e
chroot /tmp/stage3 env ROOT=/tmp/stage3 emerge system -e

then we wouldnt need these USE="build bootstrap" hacks nor would we need the
packages.build cruft
-mike
 
Old 10-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Andrew Gaffney
 
Default Too many problems with groupadd when creating stage3

On 10/28/2009 03:42 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> not sure why we're still even using this stage[123] system. seems like
> catalyst could be implemented in all of three commands:
> ROOT=/tmp/stage3_pre emerge system -e
> chroot /tmp/stage3 env ROOT=/tmp/stage3 emerge system -e
>
> then we wouldnt need these USE="build bootstrap" hacks nor would we need the
> packages.build cruft

I added a target called 'system' over 6 months ago in the catalyst-3 branch in
git (now the master branch) that does exactly this. There are a few things
missing compared to a "real" stage3, but it's just stuff like .ph files and
other random things that can't be generated when $ROOT != "/".

I had considered backporting it to catalyst-2, but I'd rather not touch the
catalyst-2 code any more than necessary at this point.

If anyone wants to play with it, you can get catalyst-3 by using the
dev-util/catalyst-9999 ebuild in the tree. However, I cannot guarantee that it's
in a working state at any given time.

--
Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Genkernel + Release Engineering Lead
 
Old 10-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default Too many problems with groupadd when creating stage3

On Thursday 29 October 2009 08:34:48 Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> On 10/28/2009 03:42 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > not sure why we're still even using this stage[123] system. seems like
> > catalyst could be implemented in all of three commands:
> > ROOT=/tmp/stage3_pre emerge system -e
> > chroot /tmp/stage3 env ROOT=/tmp/stage3 emerge system -e
> >
> > then we wouldnt need these USE="build bootstrap" hacks nor would we need
> > the packages.build cruft
>
> I added a target called 'system' over 6 months ago in the catalyst-3 branch
> in git (now the master branch) that does exactly this. There are a few
> things missing compared to a "real" stage3, but it's just stuff like .ph
> files and other random things that can't be generated when $ROOT != "/".

i'm not entirely sure the second ROOT= is necessary if a clean up script does
a sufficient job of catching all accumulated cruft. i was just throwing the
idea out there again, but seems it isnt terribly necessary if it's been picked
up at some point.
-mike
 
Old 10-30-2009, 01:10 AM
Andrew Gaffney
 
Default Too many problems with groupadd when creating stage3

On 10/29/2009 08:56 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thursday 29 October 2009 08:34:48 Andrew Gaffney wrote:
>> On 10/28/2009 03:42 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>>> not sure why we're still even using this stage[123] system. seems like
>>> catalyst could be implemented in all of three commands:
>>> ROOT=/tmp/stage3_pre emerge system -e
>>> chroot /tmp/stage3 env ROOT=/tmp/stage3 emerge system -e
>>>
>>> then we wouldnt need these USE="build bootstrap" hacks nor would we need
>>> the packages.build cruft
>>
>> I added a target called 'system' over 6 months ago in the catalyst-3 branch
>> in git (now the master branch) that does exactly this. There are a few
>> things missing compared to a "real" stage3, but it's just stuff like .ph
>> files and other random things that can't be generated when $ROOT != "/".
>
> i'm not entirely sure the second ROOT= is necessary if a clean up script does
> a sufficient job of catching all accumulated cruft. i was just throwing the
> idea out there again, but seems it isnt terribly necessary if it's been picked
> up at some point.
> -mike

I didn't pay too much attention to what you actually said (aside from ROOT and
'emerge -e system'). The catalyst-3 'system' target just does the first command.
It's basically the stage1 procedure with @system instead of packages.build.

--
Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Genkernel + Release Engineering Lead
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:00 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org