Old 02-10-2009, 08:49 PM
lurker

Default root console on boot

On 10/02/09 22:28, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> try grepping the init.d scripts. or look at the source scripts from
> catalyst itself (iirc, there's a "livecd support" dir or some such).

I've recursively grepped every file in /usr/lib/catalyst,
/usr/share/genkernel, /etc and the initrd, and I found nothing. Have I
missed anything (I must have!)?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Andrew Gaffney

lurker wrote:
> On 10/02/09 22:28, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> try grepping the init.d scripts. or look at the source scripts from
>> catalyst itself (iirc, there's a "livecd support" dir or some such).
>
> I've recursively grepped every file in /usr/lib/catalyst,
> /usr/share/genkernel, /etc and the initrd, and I found nothing. Have I
> missed anything (I must have!)?

The files you're looking for are part of livecd-tools. There's a function called
livecd_fix_inittab() in livecd-functions.sh that rewrites the CD's inittab to
call the bashlogin script instead of a login process. However, I'm not sure what
actually calls the livecd_fix_inittab() function in the first place.

Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Genkernel + Release Engineering Lead

Old 02-10-2009, 10:13 PM
lurker

On 10/02/09 23:27, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> lurker wrote:
>> On 10/02/09 22:28, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>>> try grepping the init.d scripts. or look at the source scripts
>>> from catalyst itself (iirc, there's a "livecd support" dir or
>>> some such).
>>
>> I've recursively grepped every file in /usr/lib/catalyst,
>> /usr/share/genkernel, /etc and the initrd, and I found nothing.
>> Have I missed anything (I must have!)?
>
> The files you're looking for are part of livecd-tools. There's a
> function called livecd_fix_inittab() in livecd-functions.sh that
> rewrites the CD's inittab to call the bashlogin script instead of a
> login process.

Thanks a lot!

> However, I'm not sure what actually calls the livecd_fix_inittab()
> function in the first place.

FYI, after some grepping I found from where it is called: /sbin/rc,
around row 500 (this is with baselayout-1.12.11.1).

I could be off here, but wouldn't it be better if catalyst made these
changes to /etc/inittab in livecd-stage2 instead?

Old 02-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Andrew Gaffney

lurker wrote:
> On 10/02/09 23:27, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
>> lurker wrote:
>>> I've recursively grepped every file in /usr/lib/catalyst,
>>> /usr/share/genkernel, /etc and the initrd, and I found nothing.
>>> Have I missed anything (I must have!)?
>> The files you're looking for are part of livecd-tools. There's a
>> function called livecd_fix_inittab() in livecd-functions.sh that
>> rewrites the CD's inittab to call the bashlogin script instead of a
>> login process.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
>> However, I'm not sure what actually calls the livecd_fix_inittab()
>> function in the first place.
>
> FYI, after some grepping I found from where it is called: /sbin/rc,
> around row 500 (this is with baselayout-1.12.11.1).
>
> I could be off here, but wouldn't it be better if catalyst made these
> changes to /etc/inittab in livecd-stage2 instead?

If you look at the livecd_fix_inittab() function, it makes decisions on what to
write to /etc/inittab based on the /dev nodes that are present.

Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Genkernel + Release Engineering Lead