Old 02-10-2009, 06:54 PM
lurker

Default root console on boot

Hi list,

When I generate liveCDs using catalyst they always end up with a root
console being open on tty1 after boot. How can I disable this and have
it behave like a normal Gentoo install?

A somewhat related question: why is it only possible to login on tty1?
tty2 and up just give blank screens with no login prompts.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Tuesday 10 February 2009 14:54:18 lurker wrote:
> When I generate liveCDs using catalyst they always end up with a root
> console being open on tty1 after boot. How can I disable this and have
> it behave like a normal Gentoo install?
>
> A somewhat related question: why is it only possible to login on tty1?
> tty2 and up just give blank screens with no login prompts.

look at the inittab
-mike

Old 02-10-2009, 08:22 PM
lurker

On 10/02/09 21:17, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 February 2009 14:54:18 lurker wrote:
>> When I generate liveCDs using catalyst they always end up with a root
>> console being open on tty1 after boot. How can I disable this and have
>> it behave like a normal Gentoo install?
>>
>> A somewhat related question: why is it only possible to login on tty1?
>> tty2 and up just give blank screens with no login prompts.
>
> look at the inittab

I have checked inittab and it looks ok. However, now I noticed that the
inittab that's in the iso differs from the one when the iso is running.
On the running system a line has been added for the root console, and
tty1-tty2 logins are disabled, just as expected. It seems this is done
sometime during boot, but I'm not sure when. I've checked the initrd,
but nothing there seems to be responsible. Any clues?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Tuesday 10 February 2009 16:22:17 lurker wrote:
> On 10/02/09 21:17, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Tuesday 10 February 2009 14:54:18 lurker wrote:
> >> When I generate liveCDs using catalyst they always end up with a root
> >> console being open on tty1 after boot. How can I disable this and have
> >> it behave like a normal Gentoo install?
> >>
> >> A somewhat related question: why is it only possible to login on tty1?
> >> tty2 and up just give blank screens with no login prompts.
> >
> > look at the inittab
>
> I have checked inittab and it looks ok. However, now I noticed that the
> inittab that's in the iso differs from the one when the iso is running.
> On the running system a line has been added for the root console, and
> tty1-tty2 logins are disabled, just as expected. It seems this is done
> sometime during boot, but I'm not sure when. I've checked the initrd,
> but nothing there seems to be responsible. Any clues?

ive never toyed with livecds, so i'm just guessing. try grepping the init.d
scripts. or look at the source scripts from catalyst itself (iirc, there's a
"livecd support" dir or some such).
-mike