Old 12-09-2008, 08:10 AM
"Fred Elno"

Default mkisofs failed with "Unknown charset" error

Hi the list,

I'm actually trying to build a livecd using catalyst, every thing goes right until I reach the last step, the iso
generating process with mkisofs.

mkisofs failed with this error: "Unknown charset"
and then he give me a list of known charsets

The livecd use a squashfs loop and the command passed to mkisofs is this:

mkisofs -J -R -l -V "catalyst 2008.0" -o /tmp/install-amd64.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat
-no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table /home/ftp/catalyst/builds/default/livecd-stage2-amd64-2008.0/

Because it is the last step of the livecd creation process and everything before goes right, I've tryed to run the
command manually:

mkisofs -J -R -l -V "catalyst 2008.0" -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4
-boot-info-table -o /tmp/install-amd64.iso /home/ftp/catalyst/builds/default/livecd-stage2-amd64-2008.0/

and in this way everything is working.

I have found that the error must come from the -l option which is passed with catalyst, when I manually run the
command, -l option change the charset to ISO-8859-1 which one is found in my locale, but when the command is run from
catalyst
the script failed and mkisofs is unable to find my ISO-8859-1 charset from my locale.

Did someone have an idea about something I have missed, perhaps an argument in my stage2 spec file?

Thanks.

http://www.drakonix.fr

Old 12-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Andrew Gaffney

Fred Elno wrote:
> I have found that the error must come from the -l option which is passed with catalyst, when I manually run the
> command, -l option change the charset to ISO-8859-1 which one is found in my locale, but when the command is run from
> catalyst
> the script failed and mkisofs is unable to find my ISO-8859-1 charset from my locale.

I'm not sure where you got the impression that the -l option has anything to do
with character sets. According to the man page, it just controls whether
filenames are allowed to be 31 characters vs. the MS-DOS 8.3 restriction.

Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Genkernel + Release Engineering Lead

Old 12-09-2008, 04:43 PM
"Fred Elno"

> Fred Elno wrote:
>> I have found that the error must come from the -l option which is passed with catalyst, when I manually run the
>> command, -l option change the charset to ISO-8859-1 which one is found in my locale, but when the command is run
>> from
>> catalyst
>> the script failed and mkisofs is unable to find my ISO-8859-1 charset from my locale.
>
> I'm not sure where you got the impression that the -l option has anything to do
> with character sets. According to the man page, it just controls whether
> filenames are allowed to be 31 characters vs. the MS-DOS 8.3 restriction.

You are right, but the error I see seem to have something to deal with character set and perhaps I have not being able
to explain my problem clearly (I have probably misunderstood what -l option was supposed to do).
Here is what output is given with catalyst:

$ catalyst -f /home/ftp/catalyst/livecd-stage2.spec
[...]
Resume point detected, skipping target_setup operation...
--- Running action sequence: setup_overlay
--- Running action sequence: create_iso
Creating ISO using ISOLINUX bootloader
mkisofs -J -R -l -V "catalyst 2008.0" -o /home/ftp/catalyst/iso/install-amd64.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin
-c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table
/home/ftp/catalyst/builds/default/livecd-stage2-amd64-2008.0/
Unknown charset
Known charsets are:
iso8859-2
iso8859-13
iso8859-16
[...]
iso8859-14
cp852
cp10081
mkisofs: 'iconv -l' lists more available names.
Cannot make ISO image

and if I type manually the same commandline used for mkisofs, it work:

$ mkisofs -J -R -l -V "catalyst 2008.0" -o /home/ftp/catalyst/iso/install-amd64.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin
-c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table
/home/ftp/catalyst/builds/default/livecd-stage2-amd64-2008.0/
Setting input-charset to 'ISO-8859-1' from locale.
Size of boot image is 4 sectors -> No emulation
11.45% done, estimate finish Tue Dec 9 18:28:19 2008
[...]
91.62% done, estimate finish Tue Dec 9 18:28:19 2008
Total translation table size: 2048
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 2022
Total directory bytes: 4096
Path table size(bytes): 26
Max brk space used 0
43668 extents written (85 MB)

That's why I was thinking about something strange that's happening perhaps not because of -l option but probably
related to character set:

From the command ran with catalyst, mkisofs is not able to set my input-charset to 'ISO-8859-1'
If mkisofs is ran from a console, the setting of my input-charset is correctly done and the iso file is correctly
generated.

I hope that I am not too confused in my understanding of this problem.