-   Gentoo Catalyst (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-catalyst/)
-   -   How do I get /dev entries onto a livecd image? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-catalyst/165254-how-do-i-get-dev-entries-onto-livecd-image.html)

Chris Gianelloni 09-24-2008 04:34 AM

On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 09:43 -0500, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
> > Sorry. Wrong there. I meant I want /dev/watchdog inside the loop, in the
> > squashfs image.
> > Does that change the answer?
>
> No, it doesn't. The only reason it works on your normal install is because a
> tmpfs is already mounted on /dev and udev is managing it. In the case of a
> LiveCD, it doesn't matter what you put in /dev in the squashfs, since it gets
> "hidden" when the tmpfs is mounted over it at boottime.

If you want the udev rule inside the squashfs, use livecd/root_overlay,
instead.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Developer

Amit Dor-Shifer 09-24-2008 06:37 AM

How do I get /dev entries onto a livecd image?

Resolved.
Was unrelated to catalyst/udev. My kernel config was missing enabling of
the hardware watchdog timer specific to my machine. I didn't suspect it
because when I looked into catalyst's tmp/ folder I saw the device entry
exists.
Once the kernel was set-up correctly, there was no need for any further
udev configuration.

Thanks!
Amit