Old 09-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Amit Dor-Shifer

Default How do I get /dev entries onto a livecd image?

Hello again.

I'm trying to get /dev/watchdog onto my CD. I'm using a squashfs fstype.

The device is properly created by the kernel build stage, yet it doesn't
end-up in the image. Seems the 'unbind' action unmounts /dev from the
source before calling mksquashfs.

Any ideas how to circumvent this problem?

Amit

Old 09-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Andrew Gaffney

Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:

Hello again.

I'm trying to get /dev/watchdog onto my CD. I'm using a squashfs fstype.

The device is properly created by the kernel build stage, yet it doesn't
end-up in the image. Seems the 'unbind' action unmounts /dev from the
source before calling mksquashfs.

Any ideas how to circumvent this problem?

/dev is managed by udev on the LiveCD, the same as a normal install. You'll have
to create a udev rule file that creates this device and add it to the LiveCD
with livecd/overlay.

Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Genkernel + Release Engineering Lead

Old 09-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Amit Dor-Shifer

Sorry. Wrong there. I meant I want /dev/watchdog inside the loop, in the
squashfs image.

Does that change the answer?
Amit

Old 09-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Andrew Gaffney

Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
Sorry. Wrong there. I meant I want /dev/watchdog inside the loop, in the
squashfs image.

Does that change the answer?

No, it doesn't. The only reason it works on your normal install is because a
tmpfs is already mounted on /dev and udev is managing it. In the case of a
LiveCD, it doesn't matter what you put in /dev in the squashfs, since it gets
"hidden" when the tmpfs is mounted over it at boottime.

Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Genkernel + Release Engineering Lead