Old 09-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Amit Dor-Shifer

Default How did package XYZ get into the liveCD?

Hi all.
After finishing stage2, looking at the image file, I see that it
includes /sbin/sfdisk:

disk_replace ~ # mount|grep image.squashfs
/var/tmp/catalyst/builds/replace_disk/livecd-stage2-i686-101/image.squashfs
on /mnt/cdrom type squashfs (ro,loop=/dev/loop0)

disk_replace ~ # ls -la /mnt/cdrom/sbin/sfdisk
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 51684 Jun 15 16:28 /mnt/cdrom/sbin/sfdisk

which AFAIK belongs to util-linux (so my root FS says).

disk_replace ~ # equery b /sbin/sfdisk
[ Searching for file(s) /sbin/sfdisk in *... ]
sys-apps/util-linux-2.13.1.1 (/sbin/sfdisk)

I didn't specify util-linux in livecd/packages, nor did I see it merged
in stage1's output. In fact, the binary that resides in my sqashfs image
is the same one from the initial stage3 I downloaded from gentoo:

disk_replace bla # tar xvjf
/var/tmp/catalyst/builds/stage3-x86-2008.0.tar.bz2 ./sbin/sfdisk

./sbin/sfdisk
disk_replace bla # ls
sbin
disk_replace bla # cd sbin/
disk_replace sbin # md5sum sfdisk
68f84ca6f42380cb8594051dc7fd6e13 sfdisk
disk_replace sbin # md5sum /mnt/cdrom/sbin/sfdisk
68f84ca6f42380cb8594051dc7fd6e13 /mnt/cdrom/sbin/sfdisk

So, I'm confused. Which parts of the liveCD get built and which are just
copied from the initial stage3 tarball?

Thanks,
Amit

Old 09-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Andrew Gaffney

Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
So, I'm confused. Which parts of the liveCD get built and which are just
copied from the initial stage3 tarball?

*Everything* is copied from the stage3 tarball. That's how catalyst works. Each
step builds upon the previous step.

Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Genkernel + Release Engineering Lead

Old 09-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Peter Stuge

Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
> >So, I'm confused. Which parts of the liveCD get built and which are just
> >copied from the initial stage3 tarball?
>
> *Everything* is copied from the stage3 tarball. That's how catalyst works.
> Each step builds upon the previous step.

To remove stuff, use livecd/unmerge, livecd/empty and livecd/rm in
the livecd-stage2 spec.

//Peter

Old 09-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Amit Dor-Shifer

Thanks.
Seems like I missed a major design concept of catalyst. Might I have
skipped the documentation that specifies this concept? I've read the
manpage, as-well-as
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD_with_Catalyst_for_newbies,
the FAQ and the examples. But I couldn't really infer this from any of
those.

More so, In the catalyst FAQ
(http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst/faq.xml), I read:

when catalyst builds a stage1, the stage1 itself does not inherit any
binaries or libraries from the seed that is used.

Is that FAQ obsolete? the "seed" is the original stage3, right? Looks
like my stage1 (and the livecd stage too) did in-fact inherit binaries
from the seed.

Amit

Old 09-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Andrew Gaffney

Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
when catalyst builds a stage1, the stage1 itself does not inherit any
binaries or libraries from the seed that is used.

Is that FAQ obsolete? the "seed" is the original stage3, right? Looks
like my stage1 (and the livecd stage too) did in-fact inherit binaries
from the seed.

That is true *only* of the stage1. Everything else inherits everything from its
seed.

Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Genkernel + Release Engineering Lead

Old 09-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Amit Dor-Shifer

Here's /sbin/sfdisk in my stage1:

disk_replace ~ # md5sum
/var/tmp/catalyst/tmp/replace_disk/livecd-stage1-i686-101/sbin/sfdisk

Old 09-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Andrew Gaffney

Andrew Gaffney wrote:

Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
when catalyst builds a stage1, the stage1 itself does not inherit any
binaries or libraries from the seed that is used.

Is that FAQ obsolete? the "seed" is the original stage3, right? Looks
like my stage1 (and the livecd stage too) did in-fact inherit
binaries from the seed.

That is true *only* of the stage1. Everything else inherits everything
from its seed.

livecd-stage1 != stage1

Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Genkernel + Release Engineering Lead