FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Catalyst

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-04-2008, 02:31 AM
Peter Stuge
 
Default stage4 glibc ebuild stomps my locale.gen

Hello, am new on this list but have been using catalyst a few years
to build x86 stage4 systems. Lovely tool.

glibc ebuilds insist on generating all locales. I find this quite
annoying because I do not want them and it takes a lot of time. I
find no relevant bug on b.g.o and want to check with you that I'm not
just doing something silly. I think someone else should also have
noticed this too.

I tried to add /etc/locale.gen to stage3-x86-2008.0.tar.bz2 but no.

--8<-- glibc-2.6.1.ebuild
pkg_preinst() {
..
# Shouldnt need to keep this updated
[[ -e ${ROOT}/etc/locale.gen ]] && rm -f "${D}"/etc/locale.gen
..
}

pkg_postinst() {
..
if ! is_crosscompile && [[ ${ROOT} == "/" ]] ; then
..
# if the host locales.gen contains no entries, we'll
# install everything
local locale_list="${ROOT}etc/locale.gen"
if [[ -z $(locale-gen --list --config "${locale_list}") ]] ; then
ewarn "Generating all locales; edit /etc/locale.gen to save time/space"
..
}
-->8--


It seems I can not win. Should I file a bug against the glibc ebuild
or am I just doing something wrong? The 2.8 ebuild still looks like
the above.


--8<-- running catalyst -f stage4.spec
>>> Emerging (36 of 66) sys-libs/glibc-2.6.1 to /
* >>> SetUID: [chmod go-r] /usr/lib/misc/glibc/pt_chown ... [ ok ]
sed: can't read /etc/locale.gen: No such file or directory
* Generating all locales; edit /etc/locale.gen to save time/space
* Generating locale-archive: forcing # of jobs to 1
* Generating 381 locales (this might take a while) with 1 jobs
-->8--


//Peter
 
Old 09-04-2008, 02:37 AM
Andrew Gaffney
 
Default stage4 glibc ebuild stomps my locale.gen

Peter Stuge wrote:

Hello, am new on this list but have been using catalyst a few years
to build x86 stage4 systems. Lovely tool.

glibc ebuilds insist on generating all locales. I find this quite
annoying because I do not want them and it takes a lot of time. I
find no relevant bug on b.g.o and want to check with you that I'm not
just doing something silly. I think someone else should also have
noticed this too.


Yes, we've noticed. However, releng doesn't build stage4 tarballs, so we didn't
care.



I tried to add /etc/locale.gen to stage3-x86-2008.0.tar.bz2 but no.


And how did you add a locale.gen to the stage3? You can't do it with catalyst,
since stage <=3 doesn't support an overlay, so I can only assume you unpacked
it, added the file, and repacked it, which we obviously don't support


--
Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator
 
Old 09-04-2008, 02:51 AM
Peter Stuge
 
Default stage4 glibc ebuild stomps my locale.gen

Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> >I think someone else should also have noticed this too.
>
> Yes, we've noticed. However, releng doesn't build stage4 tarballs,
> so we didn't care.

I care. Is b.g.o the right way to go?


> I can only assume you unpacked it, added the file, and repacked it,

Correct.


> which we obviously don't support

Sure. It was a somewhat desperate attempt. A workaround might be to
put a hacked glibc ebuild in my overlay, but I would like to avoid
that upkeep in the long run.


//Peter
 
Old 09-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Chris Gianelloni
 
Default stage4 glibc ebuild stomps my locale.gen

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 04:51 +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> > >I think someone else should also have noticed this too.
> >
> > Yes, we've noticed. However, releng doesn't build stage4 tarballs,
> > so we didn't care.
>
> I care. Is b.g.o the right way to go?

Yes.

> > which we obviously don't support
>
> Sure. It was a somewhat desperate attempt. A workaround might be to
> put a hacked glibc ebuild in my overlay, but I would like to avoid
> that upkeep in the long run.

Well, it needs to be fixed in the glibc ebuild, rather than catalyst.
File a bug against glibc and feel free to add catalyst@gentoo.org to the
CC list, so we can watch/track the bug, also.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Developer
wolf31o2.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:29 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org