Old 07-31-2008, 04:05 AM
"David Shay"

Default Firefox / Bon Echo on LiveCD

I'm trying to build a generic/livecd type and having an issue with
putting Firefox on it. It compiles fine, and emerge shows it's using
the "bindist" use flag, which seems to indicate that it should be
getting branded as "Firefox" and not "Bon Echo". I used the exact
same use flags when I emerged it outside of catalyst and I get the
Firefox branding, but it seems no matter what I try, inside the
catalyst build, I get the Bon Echo branding. Even tried 3.0.1, where
I think I got the "Minefield" branding.

In any case, I thought it might have been based on things other than
use flags, such as a "LINGUAS" setting, so I even tried manipulating
the make.conf inside of the chrooted livecd stage 1 build directory,
but that didn't work either. (In fact, I even built a patch to
catalyst to set this and a few other things automatically, see next
post). No luck there, either, though.

One of the reasons I care is because certain sites actually care about
the branding, because the branding actually changes the user agent
string. For instance, CNN video doesn't work, even though it
otherwise can. Yes, I can install "User Agent Switcher" and
manipulate this, but I don't want to have to do yet one more
manipulation, especially installing firefox add-ons via catalyst, when
I shouldn't have to do this.

Any other ideas?

Old 07-31-2008, 04:19 AM
lurker

On 31/07/08 06:05, David Shay wrote:
> I'm trying to build a generic/livecd type and having an issue with
> putting Firefox on it. It compiles fine, and emerge shows it's using
> the "bindist" use flag, which seems to indicate that it should be
> getting branded as "Firefox" and not "Bon Echo". I used the exact
> same use flags when I emerged it outside of catalyst and I get the
> Firefox branding, but it seems no matter what I try, inside the
> catalyst build, I get the Bon Echo branding. Even tried 3.0.1, where
> I think I got the "Minefield" branding.

The "bindist" USE flag implies that what you are compiling will be
redistributed. The Firefox license/copyright/whatever prohibits
redistribution of self-compiled binaries from the Firefox sources.
Therefore your binary needs to be branded as something different if you
wish to redistribute it.

> Any other ideas?

If you refuse to alter the useragent you either have to install
www-client/mozilla-firefox-bin instead, or add something like
"www-client/mozilla-firefox -bindist" to package.use (using the portage
config overlay). But in the latter case you might break the law (depends
on which country you live in) if you redistribute the compiled binaries
to others.

Hope that helps.