-   Gentoo Catalyst (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-catalyst/)
-   -   RFC: Feature wish list (catalyst/genkernel)I am a big fan of both projects (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-catalyst/134142-rfc-feature-wish-list-catalyst-genkernel-i-am-big-fan-both-projects.html)

Mick Reed 07-30-2008 04:55 AM

RFC: Feature wish list (catalyst/genkernel)I am a big fan of both projects

I am a big fan of both projects, although I have yet to master either.
For genkernel, I would like to see perhaps a directory structure set up to
build for multiple targets, each with its own directory and configs. This is
also how I imagine using catalyst, although I have yet to really understand
the structure of it either. Mostly, I haven't had the time to learn it yet.

Also for genkernel, does it actually build all of (busybox, device-mapper,
lvm, etc) and where would we specify the use flags, configs for each of
those? It would be really slick to have a sort of spec file for these, as
there is for catalyst. This would assist the multiple target system.

If these are obvious and I haven't RTFM yet, then just ignore them, I'll catch
up soon.

I am interested in helping with documentation. I'm a good technical writer
and generally interested in catalyst and genkernel's future. I'll be lurking
around.

Thanks!
Mick Reed

"Conway S. Smith" 07-30-2008 10:18 PM

RFC: Feature wish list (catalyst/genkernel)I am a big fan of both projects

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:55:19 -0700
Mick Reed <oregon.mick@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am interested in helping with documentation. I'm a good
> technical writer and generally interested in catalyst and
> genkernel's future. I'll be lurking around.

Improved Catalyst documentation is something I think should be a high
priority. I seem to recall a while before the 2008.0 release someone
said they were planning on working on docs after the release, but I
don't have time right now to look for the specific email. It's been a
while since I tried to use it, but I remember it not working, and
finding it frustratingly difficult to figure out why it wasn't
working. I think it may have been I was trying to build off a 2007.0
stage3, with a current portage tree snapshot, and maybe there were
too many things that had changed too much. I'll be giving it another
try this week w/ a 2008.0 stage3, hopefully I'll have better luck.

Thanks,
Conway S. Smith