Old 07-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Derek Davis

Default HPPA catalyst liveCD won't boot

I'm trying to make an HPPA live CD using catalyst, but it seems that
nothing is working correctly for me. The main problem that I'm running
into now is that when I try to boot, palo says that it can't find any
32-bit kernels. I've even gone so far as to grab the kernel right from
the working Gentoo liveCD, and I still get the same error, so I'm
figuring that my problem is either how I'm making the iso or how I'm
running palo on the iso, but both of those commands I pulled right from
catalyst.

So here's the summary. I'm using catalyst version 2.0.6 and palo
1.5_pre20040515. I have a directory with initrd, vmlinux, vmlinux64 and
livecd in it, as well as the kernels and initrd in a subdirectory called
boot, just in case. boot also contains iplboot and palo.conf. palo.conf
is as follows:

--commandline=0/vmlinux initrd=initrd root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc
looptype=squashfs loop=/image.loop
--bootloader=boot/iplboot
--ramdisk=boot/initrd

In order to make the ISO, I run:

mkisofs -R -l -J -V "My LiveCD 5.0 HPPA" -o /root/My_LiveCD_HPPA.iso
/var/tmp/catalyst/builds/default/livecd-stage2-hppa1.1-5.0/

Then, from within the directory livecd-stage2-hppa1.1-5.0, I run:

palo -C /root/My_LiveCD_HPPA.iso -f boot/palo.conf

which results in:

palo version 1.14 root@hake Sun Mar 4 20:59:31 Local time zone must be
set--see zic manual page 2007
ipl: addr 226455552 size 36864 entry 0x0
ko 0x0 ksz 0 k64o 0x0 k64sz 0 rdo 0 rdsz 0
<>
ipl: addr 226455552 size 36864 entry 0x0
ko 0x0 ksz 0 k64o 0x0 k64sz 0 rdo 204414976 rdsz 858774
<0/vmlinux initrd=initrd root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc looptype=squashfs
loop=/image.loop>

I then burn the ISO using cdrecord, and boot on an HP k series machine.
When I tell it to boot from the CD, it shows me the same config that I
specified in palo.conf, but when I tell it to continue booting, it says
that I've chosen the kernel I specified, but then that it can't find any
32-bit kernels. It then returns to the prompt to edit the palo.conf
details.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be happening? In case
it's relevant, catalyst actually failed in many ways to make this CD
before this point. For instance, mksquashfs would hang every time and in
the same spot. Even when I created a directory with a single file in it
and try to make a squashfs, mqsquashfs would hang at 100% and never
create the result. Also, the way that catalyst would execute palo would
fail, because it was looking for boot/palo.conf, but catalyst wasn't
running palo from within a directory that contained boot/palo.conf. Even
compiling the default hppa kernel when using the 2007.0 stage file and
portage snapshot failed with compile errors. I've worked around those
problems for now, but this last one has me stumped.

I've googled for this problem, and even looked a bit in the palo source
code, but haven't found anything helpful yet.

Sorry for the lengthy message. Hopefully this provides enough info for
someone to see the problem. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Derek

Old 07-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Andrew Gaffney

Derek Davis wrote:

I'm trying to make an HPPA live CD using catalyst, but it seems that
nothing is working correctly for me. The main problem that I'm running
into now is that when I try to boot, palo says that it can't find any
32-bit kernels. I've even gone so far as to grab the kernel right from
the working Gentoo liveCD, and I still get the same error, so I'm
figuring that my problem is either how I'm making the iso or how I'm
running palo on the iso, but both of those commands I pulled right from
catalyst.

First you say you're using catalyst and then you say that you're running
commands by hand that you copied from catalyst. Which is it?

Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator

Old 07-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Derek Davis

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 10:54:49AM -0500, Andrew Gaffney said:
> Derek Davis wrote:
>> I'm trying to make an HPPA live CD using catalyst, but it seems that
>> nothing is working correctly for me. The main problem that I'm running
>> into now is that when I try to boot, palo says that it can't find any
>> 32-bit kernels. I've even gone so far as to grab the kernel right from
>> the working Gentoo liveCD, and I still get the same error, so I'm
>> figuring that my problem is either how I'm making the iso or how I'm
>> running palo on the iso, but both of those commands I pulled right from
>> catalyst.
>
> First you say you're using catalyst and then you say that you're running
> commands by hand that you copied from catalyst. Which is it?

A bit of both. I run catalyst entirely, except for mksquashfs since that
was hanging. For that, I copy the contents to another machine, make the
squashfs, then copy it back. Everything else was run from within
catalyst. However, I also sometimes ran the last two commands (mkisofs
and palo) by hand just so that I could make quick changes to the ISO
without re-running catalyst, since my build machine is extremely slow.

Derek

Old 07-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Derek Davis

Of course, after days of searching and only barely after submitting to
this list, I get it working. I needed to add the -k option to palo,
specifying a kernel on the command line. I suppose I could have added a
--recoverykernel option to palo.conf, and I guess that would have done
the same thing, but this did it. Thanks anyways.

Derek