-   -   Mock up Linux bootstrap guide (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-alt/9905-mock-up-linux-bootstrap-guide.html)

Fabian Groffen 12-01-2007 01:22 PM

Mock up Linux bootstrap guide

On 02-10-2007 18:45:42 +1000, Matt Michalowski wrote:
> Without a C++ compiler, ncurses and Python will fail to compile during the
> bootstrap. I see a couple of potential options here:
> - The "As prerequisite, you need a GCC compiler" line could clarify that
> you need both gcc and g++ from GCC.

Added this now.

> - Code listings 1.7 & 1.13 could have USE="nocxx" emerge bash / python.
> - Perhaps an instruction or (bootstrap_tree could do this) to:
> $ echo 'sys-libs/ncurses nocxx' >> $EPREFIX/etc/portage/package.use
> $ echo 'dev-lang/python nocxx' >> $EPREFIX/etc/portage/package.use
> with an instruction to clear them later.

I prefer you to do this if you understand the implications of not having
a C++ compiler ;)

> The autoconf-2.13 ebuild has texinfo as a dependency, and will fail to
> emerge unless the system provides makeinfo. I think Code Listing 1.10
> ("emerge --oneshot --nodeps texinfo") should be moved before Code Listing
> 1.8 (emerge autotools).

I think Rabbe's patches basically changed this order.

> Similarly, the libtool ebuild calls automake-wrapper's aclocal, which in
> turn executes gawk. Hence the emerge libtool in Code Listing 1.11 ("emerge
> --oneshot --nodeps libtool") will fail unless the system also provides
> gawk, so perhaps Code Listing 1.15 ("emerge --oneshot gawk") should come
> before this.

Hmmm... a Linux system without gawk? In that case bootstrap gawk
first...

> So apart from these minor hiccups, all went well, great work Fabian. :)

Thanks :)

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Fabian Groffen 12-01-2007 01:23 PM

On 17-09-2007 10:54:27 +0200, rabbe@bahnhof.se wrote:
> > On 14-09-2007 17:26:07 +0200, rabbe@bahnhof.se wrote:
> >> Hi Fabian,
> >>
> >> yes, I emerged python every time whether needed or not. Trying your
> >> commands,

Is this the dreaded SLES 9 machine that also couldn't build a
compiler/linker?

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Rabbe Fogelholm 12-02-2007 12:05 PM

Mock up Linux bootstrap guide

No, this is from an attempt to bootstrap prefix Gentoo on a Gentoo box. I never got
it to work BTW.

--Rabbe

Rabbe Fogelholm 12-02-2007 12:10 PM

Mock up Linux bootstrap guide

The dreaded SLES 9 machine is scheduled for Resting In Peace now. If all goes well it
will be reinstalled with SLED 10 next week. For new prefix challenges, and some Real
Work in between :-)

--Rabbe