-   -   make bootstrap-prefix.sh use consistent GENTOO_MIRRORS setting (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-alt/707252-make-bootstrap-prefix-sh-use-consistent-gentoo_mirrors-setting.html)

Liu Yubao 09-25-2012 03:05 PM

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 10:11 PM, Jeremy Olexa <darkside@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:24 PM, Liu Yubao <yubao.liu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [[ Directly cc some gentoo-alt dev because my last email to
>> gentoo-alt@ is ignored...]]
>
> Are you subscribed to the list? I see no email from you at all.

No, I don't subscribe it, I don't know it forbids my emails.

I have subscribed it now, could you help to apply that patch to the
bootstrap-prefix.sh script?

Attach the patch and comment again, it's small, hope I didn't bother you much.

There is a little annoying issue in the bootstrap-prefix.sh script,
this script uses $GENTOO_MIRRORS/xxx.tar.gz to download
tar balls, but emerge uses $GENTOO_MIRRORS/distfiles/xxx.tar.gz,
so I can't use same mirror site for stage1/stage2/stage3 which makes
the bootstrap process very slow.

Thanks,
Yubao Liu

09-26-2012 01:16 AM

Liu Yubao <yubao.liu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 10:11 PM, Jeremy Olexa <darkside@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> Attach the patch and comment again, it's small, hope I didn't bother you much.
>

> There is a little annoying issue in the bootstrap-prefix.sh script,
> this script uses $GENTOO_MIRRORS/xxx.tar.gz to download
> tar balls, but emerge uses $GENTOO_MIRRORS/distfiles/xxx.tar.gz,
> so I can't use same mirror site for stage1/stage2/stage3 which makes
> the bootstrap process very slow.

Side note, you can export GENTOO_MIRROR twice, as (in Chinese)

http://wiki.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn/GentooPrefix

Fabian may give an explanation why the script is coded as such.

Cheers,
Benda

Liu Yubao 09-26-2012 02:08 AM

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 9:16 AM, <heroxbd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Liu Yubao <yubao.liu@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 10:11 PM, Jeremy Olexa <darkside@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>> Attach the patch and comment again, it's small, hope I didn't bother you much.
>>

>> There is a little annoying issue in the bootstrap-prefix.sh script,
>> this script uses $GENTOO_MIRRORS/xxx.tar.gz to download
>> tar balls, but emerge uses $GENTOO_MIRRORS/distfiles/xxx.tar.gz,
>> so I can't use same mirror site for stage1/stage2/stage3 which makes
>> the bootstrap process very slow.
>
> Side note, you can export GENTOO_MIRROR twice, as (in Chinese)
>
> http://wiki.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn/GentooPrefix
>
> Fabian may give an explanation why the script is coded as such.

Benda, nice to see you in this mailing list:-) Some days ago I read the
wiki page when I checked the tuna mirror site, I feel the steps described
in that wiki page is too complex, it separates the one-shot script into
multiple stages and thus highly depends on the internal implementation
of the script which the even the legacy gentoo-prefix manual bootstrap
guide doesn't describe, I feel my solution is much cleaner, but as you
said, maybe the author(Fabian?) has some special purpose to not align
with GENTOO_MIRRORS convention of emerge.

Regards,
Yubao Liu

Benda Xu 09-26-2012 03:11 AM

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Liu Yubao <yubao.liu@gmail.com> wrote:

Benda, nice to see you in this mailing list:-) *
:D nice to meet you.
*
Some days ago I *read the

wiki page when I checked the tuna mirror site, I feel the steps described

in that wiki page is too complex, *it separates the one-shot script into

multiple stages and thus highly depends on the internal implementation

of the script which the even the legacy gentoo-prefix manual bootstrap

guide doesn't describe, I feel my solution is much cleaner, but as you

said, maybe the author(Fabian?) has some special purpose to not align

with GENTOO_MIRRORS convention of emerge.

Yeah, you are right. Don't look at the steps in that wiki, which is outdated since the rewrite of bootstrap script.

I meant these two export may be used at different stages, replace mirror.tuna... with your favorite mirror.

export GENTOO_MIRRORS=http://mirror.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn/gentoo/distfiles

export GENTOO_MIRRORS=http://mirror.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn/gentoo

Fabian Groffen 09-26-2012 06:47 AM

On 26-09-2012 12:11:43 +0900, Benda Xu wrote:
> I meant these two export may be used at different stages, replace
> mirror.tuna... with your favorite mirror.
>
> export GENTOO_MIRRORS=[2]http://mirror.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn/gentoo/distfiles

> export GENTOO_MIRRORS=[3]http://mirror.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn/gentoo

I think the patch would be ok, but we could also add "/distfiles" to
GENTOO_MIRRORS if it's not there yet, to reduce the necessary changes to
just 1 line.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Fabian Groffen 09-30-2012 11:35 AM

On 26-09-2012 08:47:26 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 26-09-2012 12:11:43 +0900, Benda Xu wrote:
> > I meant these two export may be used at different stages, replace
> > mirror.tuna... with your favorite mirror.
> >
> > export GENTOO_MIRRORS=[2]http://mirror.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn/gentoo/distfiles

> > export GENTOO_MIRRORS=[3]http://mirror.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn/gentoo
>
> I think the patch would be ok, but we could also add "/distfiles" to
> GENTOO_MIRRORS if it's not there yet, to reduce the necessary changes to
> just 1 line.

Just to be clear on this one, I committed this, so your use-case should
work now.

Thanks

--
Fabian Groffen