Old 09-07-2012, 04:42 PM
yegle

Default a "compact" gentoo-prefix

Hi everyone,

I'm using Gentoo-prefix on a server with a very limited quota to normal user. That's about 2GB per user.
There are so many small files in $PORTDIR, it takes about 600MB. The default $PORTAGE_TMPDIR, $BUILD_PREFIX, $DISTDIR are all under $EPREFIX directory. The bootstrap process will fail in the middle because disk quota is reached.
Files of $PORTDIR can be retrieved using `emerge --sync`, and files in the other directories mentioned above are just temporary files. By setting them to somewhere under `/tmp` I successfully bootstrapped a Gentoo-prefix environment with all what I need in about 715MB.
My current solution by pointing temporary directories and portage directory to `/tmp` directory involve some manual fixes(e.g. update symbolic link $ERPEFIX/etc/make.profile) that maybe hard for someone new to Gentoo-prefix, and I don't think my solution is ideal.
Gentoo-prefix is used by many users on shared host, and these hosts always have disk quota limit. I hope someone can come up with a better idea, or at least update the bootstrap document to add some hint about overcoming disk quota limit.
--*
yegle

Old 09-08-2012, 01:21 AM
Jeremy Olexa

[...]

*To be honest, the masses are not holding a riot over this. I mean, you are the only one to bring it up in a long time. I see it as, a) users actually do not have such an issue or b) users know how to overcome their own limitations. We want the instructions to be simple and work for a large amount of users in a simple way (first impression). So, should we fix a non-problem? Is it a problem in the wild?*

Not sure. Got a patch or proof of concept to review?-Jeremy**

--*
yegle