Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo Alt (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-alt/)
-   -   Emerge Zsh on Mac OS X Mountain Lion (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-alt/700700-emerge-zsh-mac-os-x-mountain-lion.html)

Ke Wu 09-05-2012 07:30 AM

Emerge Zsh on Mac OS X Mountain Lion
 
Hi everyone,*
This is my first time to use gentoo prefix on Mac OS. My friend has been recommending it to me for a long time.
The installation took a while but all went well. I used this script to install gentoo prefix on Mac:*http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/alt/browser/trunk/prefix-overlay/scripts/bootstrap-prefix.sh?format=txt
However, when I was trying to install zsh, the compile of zsh kept failing.
The command I used is simply "emerge zsh", but I got the following error msg over and over:
>>> Source configured.>>> Compiling source in /Users/kewu/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/app-shells/zsh-5.0.0/work/zsh-5.0.0 ...make*make[1]: Entering directory `/Users/kewu/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/app-shells/zsh-5.0.0/work/zsh-5.0.0/Src'cd .. && /Users/kewu/Gentoo/bin/bash $top_srcdir/Src/mkmakemod.sh Src Makemodcreating Src/Makemod.in/Users/kewu/Gentoo/bin/bash: line 8: 42534 Illegal instruction: 4 */Users/kewu/Gentoo/bin/bash $top_srcdir/Src/mkmakemod.sh Src Makemodmake[1]: *** [Makemod] Error 132make[1]: Leaving directory `/Users/kewu/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/app-shells/zsh-5.0.0/work/zsh-5.0.0/Src'make: *** [all] Error 1** ERROR: app-shells/zsh-5.0.0 failed (compile phase):** * emake failed***** If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=app-shells/zsh-5.0.0'`,** the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=app-shells/zsh-5.0.0'`.** The complete build log is located at '/Users/kewu/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/app-shells/zsh-5.0.0/temp/build.log'.** The ebuild environment file is located at '/Users/kewu/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/app-shells/zsh-5.0.0/temp/environment'.** Working directory: '/Users/kewu/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/app-shells/zsh-5.0.0/work/zsh-5.0.0'** S: '/Users/kewu/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/app-shells/zsh-5.0.0/work/zsh-5.0.0'
Anyone knows the possible reason for this and how should I make it work?
Thank you for your time
-Ke

"Gibson, John" 09-05-2012 05:00 PM

Emerge Zsh on Mac OS X Mountain Lion
 
Ke,



I ran into that error when I tried to bootstrap on a Snow Leopard install a year ago or so. *In the end I gave up and went back to using an older prefix build that I made while using either Leopard or Tiger (I can't remember which). *This was using a 17" MacBook
Pro with the all silver keyboard and XCode 3-something.



I recently bootstrapped again on a MacBook Pro with the removable battery and the black keyboard and*either XCode 4.4.0 or 4.4.1, I can't remember which.* This was a couple of weeks before Fabian overhauled the bootstrapping script. *There were a couple
of hangups, but I ended up with a working bash and zsh. *The versions that I have are:*bash-4.2_p10 and zsh-5.0.0. *Note that bash-4.2_p29 failed to emerge during the bootstrap and so I masked it. *I'd try emerging a different version of bash and then retrying
the zsh emerge.




John



On Sep 5, 2012, at 12:30 AM, Ke Wu wrote:



Hi everyone,*



This is my first time to use gentoo prefix on Mac OS. My friend has been recommending it to me for a long time.



The installation took a while but all went well. I used this script to install gentoo prefix on Mac:*http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/alt/browser/trunk/prefix-overlay/scripts/bootstrap-prefix.sh?format=txt



However, when I was trying to install zsh, the compile of zsh kept failing.



The command I used is simply "emerge zsh", but I got the following error msg over and over:




>>> Source configured.
>>> Compiling source in /Users/kewu/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/app-shells/zsh-5.0.0/work/zsh-5.0.0 ...
make*
make[1]: Entering directory `/Users/kewu/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/app-shells/zsh-5.0.0/work/zsh-5.0.0/Src'
cd .. && /Users/kewu/Gentoo/bin/bash $top_srcdir/Src/mkmakemod.sh Src Makemod
creating Src/Makemod.in
/Users/kewu/Gentoo/bin/bash: line 8: 42534 Illegal instruction: 4 */Users/kewu/Gentoo/bin/bash $top_srcdir/Src/mkmakemod.sh Src Makemod
make[1]: *** [Makemod] Error 132
make[1]: Leaving directory `/Users/kewu/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/app-shells/zsh-5.0.0/work/zsh-5.0.0/Src'
make: *** [all] Error 1
** ERROR: app-shells/zsh-5.0.0 failed (compile phase):
** * emake failed
***
** If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=app-shells/zsh-5.0.0'`,
** the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=app-shells/zsh-5.0.0'`.
** The complete build log is located at '/Users/kewu/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/app-shells/zsh-5.0.0/temp/build.log'.
** The ebuild environment file is located at '/Users/kewu/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/app-shells/zsh-5.0.0/temp/environment'.
** Working directory: '/Users/kewu/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/app-shells/zsh-5.0.0/work/zsh-5.0.0'
** S: '/Users/kewu/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/app-shells/zsh-5.0.0/work/zsh-5.0.0'




Anyone knows the possible reason for this and how should I make it work?



Thank you for your time



-Ke

Konstantin Tokarev 09-05-2012 06:24 PM

Emerge Zsh on Mac OS X Mountain Lion
 
05.09.2012, 11:30, "Ke Wu" <ke.wu@ibeca.me>:
> Hi everyone,*This is my first time to use gentoo prefix on Mac OS. My friend has been recommending it to me for a long time.
> The installation took a while but all went well. I used this script to install gentoo prefix on Mac:*http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/alt/browser/trunk/prefix-overlay/scripts/bootstrap-prefix.sh?format=txt
> However, when I was trying to install zsh, the compile of zsh kept failing.
> The command I used is simply "emerge zsh", but I got the following error msg over and over:
>>>> Source configured.
>>>> Compiling source in /Users/kewu/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/app-shells/zsh-5.0.0/work/zsh-5.0.0 ...
> make
> make[1]: Entering directory `/Users/kewu/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/app-shells/zsh-5.0.0/work/zsh-5.0.0/Src'
> cd .. && /Users/kewu/Gentoo/bin/bash $top_srcdir/Src/mkmakemod.sh Src Makemod
> creating Src/Makemod.in
> /Users/kewu/Gentoo/bin/bash: line 8: 42534 Illegal instruction: 4 */Users/kewu/Gentoo/bin/bash $top_srcdir/Src/mkmakemod.sh Src Makemod

Which CFLAGS are you using? Looks like miscompilation.

--
Regards,
Konstantin

Ke Wu 09-05-2012 08:46 PM

Emerge Zsh on Mac OS X Mountain Lion
 
On Sep 5, 2012, at 11:24 AM, Konstantin Tokarev <annulen@yandex.ru> wrote:
05.09.2012, 11:30, "Ke Wu" <ke.wu@ibeca.me>:
Hi everyone,*This is my first time to use gentoo prefix on Mac OS. My friend has been recommending it to me for a long time.
The installation took a while but all went well. I used this script to install gentoo prefix on Mac:*http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/alt/browser/trunk/prefix-overlay/scripts/bootstrap-prefix.sh?format=txt
However, when I was trying to install zsh, the compile of zsh kept failing.
The command I used is simply "emerge zsh", but I got the following error msg over and over:
Source configured.
Compiling source in /Users/kewu/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/app-shells/zsh-5.0.0/work/zsh-5.0.0 ...
make
make[1]: Entering directory `/Users/kewu/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/app-shells/zsh-5.0.0/work/zsh-5.0.0/Src'
cd .. && /Users/kewu/Gentoo/bin/bash $top_srcdir/Src/mkmakemod.sh Src Makemod
creating Src/Makemod.in
/Users/kewu/Gentoo/bin/bash: line 8: 42534 Illegal instruction: 4 */Users/kewu/Gentoo/bin/bash $top_srcdir/Src/mkmakemod.sh Src Makemod

Which CFLAGS are you using? Looks like miscomputation.

My make.conf file looks like this:*
USE="unicode nls"CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -O2 -pipe"CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
In the log the it shows following configuration:
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild *N * * ] app-shells/zsh-5.0.0::gentoo *USE="unicode (-caps) -debug -doc -examples -gdbm -maildir -pcre -static" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 new), Size of downloads: 0 kB


--
Regards,
Konstantin

09-06-2012 12:01 AM

Emerge Zsh on Mac OS X Mountain Lion
 
Ke Wu <ke.wu@ibeca.me> writes:

> USE="unicode nls"
> CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -O2 -pipe"
> CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

This is not recommended, though I forgot the reason (maybe CFLAGS in
make.conf is itself cumulative.

Use CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe" and try again.

Cheers,
Benda

Ke Wu 09-06-2012 07:17 AM

Emerge Zsh on Mac OS X Mountain Lion
 
Hi everyone,
I reinstall gentoo prefix and now zsh could be emerged. Thanks for everyone's help.
There is one new problem, though.
I use oh-my-zsh to config zsh. After installing oh-my-zsh, the auto-completion in gentoo prefix zsh behaves weirdly.
say I am in zsh on gentoo prefix and the prompt looks like this:
~ >
I typed git:
~ > git
Then I hit tab key, what happened is the first two chars (in this case "gi") of what I typed became part of the prompt, so after tab the thing looked like:
~ > gigit<auto-completion options>
Although, if I continue to type:
~ > gigit pull origin
the command worked just fine, but this bug is really annoying. and this happened with every command I typed.
has anyone seen this kind of thing before?
Thanks in advance!
-Ke



On Sep 5, 2012, at 5:01 PM, heroxbd@gmail.com wrote:Ke Wu <ke.wu@ibeca.me> writes:

USE="unicode nls"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

This is not recommended, though I forgot the reason (maybe CFLAGS in
make.conf is itself cumulative.

Use CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe" and try again.

Cheers,
Benda

"Gregory M. Turner" 09-06-2012 09:46 AM

Emerge Zsh on Mac OS X Mountain Lion
 
On 9/6/2012 12:17 AM, Ke Wu wrote:

say I am in zsh on gentoo prefix and the prompt looks like this:

*~ >*

I typed git:

*~ > git*

Then I hit tab key, what happened is the first two chars (in this case
"gi") of what I typed became part of the prompt, so after tab the thing
looked like:

*~ > gigit*
*<auto-completion options>*

Although, if I continue to type:

*~ > gigit pull origin*

the command worked just fine, but this bug is really annoying. and this
happened with every command I typed.

has anyone seen this kind of thing before?

Thanks in advance!


I've seen such behavior although I don't use zsh. If you are lucky, the
problem is caused by an empty or broken TERMINFO database, a wrong
setting of the TERM environment variable, or a crappy terminal emulator.
I say lucky because these problems can be solved without hours of
head-scratching and pouring over obscure, boring information.


If you are unlucky, it's a bug in your zsh, in which case, get ready for
some fun times ahead :)


Did you emerge -e system yet? It might be that, during bootstrap, zsh
in your prefix didn't have an ncurses library to build against, or built
against the system libncurses instead of the one in your prefix; if
that's the problem, it will, with any luck, be fixed the second time around.


-gmt

Konstantin Tokarev 09-06-2012 12:06 PM

Emerge Zsh on Mac OS X Mountain Lion
 
06.09.2012, 04:01, "heroxbd@gmail.com" <heroxbd@gmail.com>:
> Ke Wu <ke.wu@ibeca.me> writes:
>
>> *USE="unicode nls"
>> *CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -O2 -pipe"
>> *CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
>
> This is not recommended, though I forgot the reason (maybe CFLAGS in
> make.conf is itself cumulative.
>
> Use CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe" and try again.

https://gentoo-handbook.lugons.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-macos.xml

"Note: You have to replace <my-cpu-flags> with something that matches your CPU. Intel-based Mac users (e.g. MacBook, CoreDuo) should at least have -march=prescott here to avoid compilation errors due to SSE instructions not being enabled."

--
Regards,
Konstantin

Jeremy Olexa 09-06-2012 04:18 PM

Emerge Zsh on Mac OS X Mountain Lion
 
On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 7:06 AM, Konstantin Tokarev <annulen@yandex.ru> wrote:
>
>
> 06.09.2012, 04:01, "heroxbd@gmail.com" <heroxbd@gmail.com>:
>> Ke Wu <ke.wu@ibeca.me> writes:
>>
>>> USE="unicode nls"
>>> CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -O2 -pipe"
>>> CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
>>
>> This is not recommended, though I forgot the reason (maybe CFLAGS in
>> make.conf is itself cumulative.
>>
>> Use CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe" and try again.
>
> https://gentoo-handbook.lugons.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-macos.xml

Please stop referring to "lugons.org" in the future - it is not official. ;-)
-Jeremy

Fabian Groffen 09-06-2012 05:48 PM

Emerge Zsh on Mac OS X Mountain Lion
 
On 06-09-2012 16:06:25 +0400, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
>
>
> 06.09.2012, 04:01, "heroxbd@gmail.com" <heroxbd@gmail.com>:
> > Ke Wu <ke.wu@ibeca.me> writes:
> >
> >> *USE="unicode nls"
> >> *CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -O2 -pipe"
> >> *CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
> >
> > This is not recommended, though I forgot the reason (maybe CFLAGS in
> > make.conf is itself cumulative.
> >
> > Use CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe" and try again.
>
> https://gentoo-handbook.lugons.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-macos.xml

As much as I like the Serbians/Belgraders, I really dislike these old
bootstrapping instructions being available there. We completely changed
the way we prefer to do bootstraps, and these docs no longer match
reality.

While it\'s fine to use this document for inspiration, remember that it
is no longer "supported" or "official".


--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:30 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.