Old 08-29-2012, 09:55 PM
junqihu

Default how to compile firefox on Mac Os X 10.8

Hi, all!

I'm a newbie on using Mac OS X and gentoo prefix. Hence, I have many problems arised in using them to resolve. One of them is how to compile firefox by gentoo prefix, although I know that there is a package named firefox for mac on mozilla's project page.

Ok, let's see what happened?

$ emerge -av firefox

Calculating dependencies... done!

The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
#required by www-client/firefox-14.0.1, required by firefox (argument)
=x11-libs/cairo-1.12.2-r3 X
#required by www-client/firefox-14.0.1, required by firefox (argument)
> =x11-libs/pango-1.30.1 X
#required by www-client/firefox-14.0.1, required by firefox (argument)
> =media-libs/libpng-1.5.12 apng

Use --autounmask-write to write changes to config files (honoring CONFIG_PROTECT).

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=sys-apps/dbus-1.6.2".
(dependency required by "dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.100" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "www-client/firefox-14.0.1[dbus]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "firefox" [argument])

The first question, I face to, is whether USE flag X should be select, because X11 for mac have been separated from Mac OS X since Mountain Lion. In fact, I have replaced USE Flag X by aqua in $EPREFIX/etc/make.conf.

Obviously, without proper ebuild on dbus is another question. Same problem also raised on installing the package, app-text/xdvipdfmx, when USE flag xetex is chosen for app-text/texlive. Maybe, the procedure on ebuild transition from gentoo-portage to gentoo-portage-prefix should be mentioned.

Anyone could help me?

Old 08-30-2012, 12:56 AM
Junqi Hu

The second problem has been solved by the script ecopy in $EPREFIX/usr/portage/scripts.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:14 AM
François Bissey

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 08:56:45 Junqi Hu wrote:
> The second problem has been solved by the script ecopy in
> $EPREFIX/usr/portage/scripts.
> On 2012-8-30, at 上午5:55, junqihu <junqihu@me.com> wrote:
> > Hi, all!
> >
> > I'm a newbie on using Mac OS X and gentoo prefix. Hence, I have many
> > problems arised in using them to resolve. One of them is how to compile
> > firefox by gentoo prefix, although I know that there is a package named
> > firefox for mac on mozilla's project page.
> >
> > Ok, let's see what happened?

> > --
> >
> > $ emerge -av firefox
> >
> > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
> >
> > Calculating dependencies... done!
> >
> > The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
> > #required by www-client/firefox-14.0.1, required by firefox (argument)
> > =x11-libs/cairo-1.12.2-r3 X
> > #required by www-client/firefox-14.0.1, required by firefox (argument)
> >
> >> =x11-libs/pango-1.30.1 X
> >
> > #required by www-client/firefox-14.0.1, required by firefox (argument)
> >
> >> =media-libs/libpng-1.5.12 apng
> >
> > Use --autounmask-write to write changes to config files (honoring
> > CONFIG_PROTECT).
> >
> > emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=sys-apps/dbus-1.6.2".
> > (dependency required by "dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.100" [ebuild])
> > (dependency required by "www-client/firefox-14.0.1[dbus]" [ebuild])
> > (dependency required by "firefox" [argument])

> > --
> >
> > The first question, I face to, is whether USE flag X should be select,
> > because X11 for mac have been separated from Mac OS X since Mountain
> > Lion. In fact, I have replaced USE Flag X by aqua in
> > $EPREFIX/etc/make.conf.
> >
> > Obviously, without proper ebuild on dbus is another question. Same problem
> > also raised on installing the package, app-text/xdvipdfmx, when USE flag
> > xetex is chosen for app-text/texlive. Maybe, the procedure on ebuild
> > transition from gentoo-portage to gentoo-portage-prefix should be
> > mentioned.
> >
> > Anyone could help me?

Well, we are missing an ebuild for dbus-1.6.2 but not dbus full stop.
The ebuild for dbus-glib-0.100 shouldn't technically be in the tree since one
of its dependency isn't but that kind of check is a lot of work.
Try masking (etc/portage/package.mask) =dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.100
may be firefox will be happy with dbus-glib-0.98.

Francois

Old 08-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Junqi Hu

On 2012-8-30, at 上午11:14, François Bissey <francois.bissey@canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 08:56:45 Junqi Hu wrote:
>> The second problem has been solved by the script ecopy in
>> $EPREFIX/usr/portage/scripts.
>> On 2012-8-30, at 上午5:55, junqihu <junqihu@me.com> wrote:
>>> Hi, all!
>>>
>>> I'm a newbie on using Mac OS X and gentoo prefix. Hence, I have many
>>> problems arised in using them to resolve. One of them is how to compile
>>> firefox by gentoo prefix, although I know that there is a package named
>>> firefox for mac on mozilla's project page.
>>>
>>> Ok, let's see what happened?

>>> --
>>>
>>> $ emerge -av firefox
>>>
>>> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>>>
>>> Calculating dependencies... done!
>>>
>>> The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
>>> #required by www-client/firefox-14.0.1, required by firefox (argument)
>>> =x11-libs/cairo-1.12.2-r3 X
>>> #required by www-client/firefox-14.0.1, required by firefox (argument)

>>> #required by www-client/firefox-14.0.1, required by firefox (argument)

>>> Use --autounmask-write to write changes to config files (honoring
>>> CONFIG_PROTECT).
>>>
>>> emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=sys-apps/dbus-1.6.2".
>>> (dependency required by "dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.100" [ebuild])
>>> (dependency required by "www-client/firefox-14.0.1[dbus]" [ebuild])
>>> (dependency required by "firefox" [argument])

>>> --
>>>
>>> The first question, I face to, is whether USE flag X should be select,
>>> because X11 for mac have been separated from Mac OS X since Mountain
>>> Lion. In fact, I have replaced USE Flag X by aqua in
>>> $EPREFIX/etc/make.conf.
>>>
>>> Obviously, without proper ebuild on dbus is another question. Same problem
>>> also raised on installing the package, app-text/xdvipdfmx, when USE flag
>>> xetex is chosen for app-text/texlive. Maybe, the procedure on ebuild
>>> transition from gentoo-portage to gentoo-portage-prefix should be
>>> mentioned.
>>>
>>> Anyone could help me?
>
> Well, we are missing an ebuild for dbus-1.6.2 but not dbus full stop.
> The ebuild for dbus-glib-0.100 shouldn't technically be in the tree since one
> of its dependency isn't but that kind of check is a lot of work.
> Try masking (etc/portage/package.mask) =dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.100
> may be firefox will be happy with dbus-glib-0.98.
>
> Francois

Thank you for your comments.

There is another problem I couldn't solve.

$ emerge -av firefox

Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "sys-devel/bsdmake".
(dependency required by "virtual/pmake-0" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "sys-freebsd/freebsd-mk-defs-9.0-r1" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "dev-libs/libexecinfo-1.1" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "www-client/firefox-14.0.1" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "firefox" [argument])

The ebuild for sys-devel/bsdmake is missing even while I use the script ecopy to try to generate it.

What can I do?

Old 08-30-2012, 08:20 AM
Konstantin Tokarev

30.08.2012, 01:55, "junqihu" <junqihu@me.com>:
> Hi, all!
>
> I'm a newbie on using Mac OS X and gentoo prefix. Hence, I have many problems arised in using them to resolve. One of them *is how to compile firefox by gentoo prefix, although I know *that there is a package named firefox for mac on mozilla's project page.

Are you sure you need to build firefox? There are official binaries for your system [1].

> The first question, I face to, is whether USE flag X should be select, because X11 for mac have been separated from Mac OS X *since Mountain Lion.

You should install X from [2]. It's the same X.org fork which was shipped as part of Mac OS X since 10.5

[1] http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html
[2] http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/

Konstantin

Old 08-30-2012, 09:23 AM
Francois Bissey

On 30/08/12 19:22, Junqi Hu wrote:

> On 2012-8-30, at 上午11:14, François Bissey <francois.bissey@canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 08:56:45 Junqi Hu wrote:
>>> The second problem has been solved by the script ecopy in
>>> $EPREFIX/usr/portage/scripts.

>> Well, we are missing an ebuild for dbus-1.6.2 but not dbus full stop.
>> The ebuild for dbus-glib-0.100 shouldn't technically be in the tree since one
>> of its dependency isn't but that kind of check is a lot of work.
>> Try masking (etc/portage/package.mask) =dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.100
>> may be firefox will be happy with dbus-glib-0.98.
>>
>> Francois
>>

> Thank you for your comments.
>
> There is another problem I couldn't solve.

> $ emerge -av firefox

> Calculating dependencies... done!
>
> emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "sys-devel/bsdmake".
> (dependency required by "virtual/pmake-0" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "sys-freebsd/freebsd-mk-defs-9.0-r1" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "dev-libs/libexecinfo-1.1" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "www-client/firefox-14.0.1" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "firefox" [argument])

> The ebuild for sys-devel/bsdmake is missing even while I use the script ecopy to try to generate it.

Not much that's very odd. the virtual/pmake ebuild goes this way:
RDEPEND="kernel_linux? ( sys-devel/pmake )
kernel_SunOS? ( sys-devel/pmake )
kernel_Darwin? ( sys-devel/bsdmake )"

So on OS X (darwin) you should have bsdmake. That's bugzilla material.

François

Old 08-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 30-08-2012 12:20:14 +0400, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> 30.08.2012, 01:55, "junqihu" <junqihu@me.com>:
> > Hi, all!
> >
> > I'm a newbie on using Mac OS X and gentoo prefix. Hence, I have many problems arised in using them to resolve. One of them *is how to compile firefox by gentoo prefix, although I know *that there is a package named firefox for mac on mozilla's project page.
>
> Are you sure you need to build firefox? There are official binaries for your system [1].

I completely concur with Konstantin here. It is very ambitious to try
and emerge firefox on your Mac, for numerous reasons. The end result
will most likely not be what you expect (no native aqua interface),
unless you are willing to do major changes in the ebuild and eclass
machinery.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 08-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Konstantin Tokarev

30.08.2012, 13:37, "Fabian Groffen" <grobian@gentoo.org>:
> On 30-08-2012 12:20:14 +0400, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
>
>> *30.08.2012, 01:55, "junqihu" <junqihu@me.com>:
>>> *Hi, all!
>>>
>>> *I'm a newbie on using Mac OS X and gentoo prefix. Hence, I have many problems arised in using them to resolve. One of them *is how to compile firefox by gentoo prefix, although I know *that there is a package named firefox for mac on mozilla's project page.
>> *Are you sure you need to build firefox? There are official binaries for your system [1].
>
> I completely concur with Konstantin here. *It is very ambitious to try
> and emerge firefox on your Mac, for numerous reasons. *The end result
> will most likely not be what you expect (no native aqua interface),
> unless you are willing to do major changes in the ebuild and eclass
> machinery.

junqihu: If you are brave enough to proceed, I'd recommended you to build Firefox
manually (i.e. outside prefix without ebuild), and when you get acceptable results,
make respective changes to ebuild (dependencies, configure options).

Konstantin