Old 05-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Benda Xu

Default OpenRC on Prefix for service daemons

Dear All,

Have you ever wanted to start a daemon from prefix in a gentoo way but

noticed portage saying

,----

| * removed /etc/init.d and /etc/conf.d directories until bug #196294 has been resolved

`----

to you? It has been disappointing for to me to manually start daemons

repeatedly.

A solution introducing OpenRC[1] is around the corner waiting for your

trial and review:

* * *https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC/Prefix

As you can see from the contents,

* *1 USING heroxbd's openrc-prefix overlay

* * * *1.1 install baselayout-prefix and portage from the overlay

* *2 GETTING openrc-9999 emerged on prefix

* * * *2.1 glibc and sysvinit

* * * *2.2 OpenRC config

* *3 EXAMPLE: tinc

* * * *3.1 prefixify init script

* * * *3.2 fire up tincd from OpenRC

* *4 EXAMPLE: nginx

* * * *4.1 prefixify init script

* * * *4.2 prefixify nginx.conf

* * * *4.3 normal privilege

* * * *4.4 add nginx to default runlevel and fire up

* *5 Further Reading

following the tutorial will give you a working tinc and/or nginx managed

by OpenRC, and of course a common base to start any daemon from Prefix

in the unified Gentoo way with power of OpenRC.

Enjoy Don't forget to email or bug me for feedback.

Cheers!

Benda

1. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/openrc/

Old 05-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Alan Hourihane

Wonderful !

Benda, I have some patches floating around for an older version of
OpenRC to support FreeMiNT.

Alan.