-   -   OpenRC on Prefix for service daemons (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-alt/666066-openrc-prefix-service-daemons.html)

Benda Xu 05-12-2012 12:18 PM

OpenRC on Prefix for service daemons

Dear All,

Have you ever wanted to start a daemon from prefix in a gentoo way but

noticed portage saying

,----

| * removed /etc/init.d and /etc/conf.d directories until bug #196294 has been resolved

`----

to you? It has been disappointing for to me to manually start daemons

repeatedly.

A solution introducing OpenRC[1] is around the corner waiting for your

trial and review:

* * *https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC/Prefix

As you can see from the contents,

* *1 USING heroxbd's openrc-prefix overlay

* * * *1.1 install baselayout-prefix and portage from the overlay

* *2 GETTING openrc-9999 emerged on prefix

* * * *2.1 glibc and sysvinit

* * * *2.2 OpenRC config

* *3 EXAMPLE: tinc

* * * *3.1 prefixify init script

* * * *3.2 fire up tincd from OpenRC

* *4 EXAMPLE: nginx

* * * *4.1 prefixify init script

* * * *4.2 prefixify nginx.conf

* * * *4.3 normal privilege

* * * *4.4 add nginx to default runlevel and fire up

* *5 Further Reading

following the tutorial will give you a working tinc and/or nginx managed

by OpenRC, and of course a common base to start any daemon from Prefix

in the unified Gentoo way with power of OpenRC.

Enjoy ;) Don't forget to email or bug me for feedback.

Cheers!

Benda

1. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/openrc/

Alan Hourihane 05-12-2012 05:06 PM

OpenRC on Prefix for service daemons

Wonderful !

Benda, I have some patches floating around for an older version of
OpenRC to support FreeMiNT.

Alan.