-   -   take arm-linux (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-alt/652119-take-arm-linux.html)

04-03-2012 11:33 AM

take arm-linux

Dear all,

I am going to maintain arm-linux. Just made an update to

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix

One thing I want to try is just to use arm to represent arm-linux.

GLEP22 defines that ${arch} defaults ${arch}-linux. We are treating x86
and x86-linux differently just for maintaining a separate prefix
tree. Now that gx86 are merged into prefix, and soon they will be one,
it is reasonable to expect arch-linux and arch finally to be merged,
too.

arm and arm-linux would be a first trial. Let's hope it can prove the
concept.

Yours,
Benda
--
XU Benda
Research Center for Neutrino Science
Tohoku University
JAPAN

http://www.awa.tohoku.ac.jp/~benda

Jeremy Olexa 04-03-2012 12:26 PM

take arm-linux

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 6:33 AM, <heroxbd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am going to maintain arm-linux. Just made an update to
>
> *http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix
>
> One thing I want to try is just to use arm to represent arm-linux.
>
> GLEP22 defines that ${arch} defaults ${arch}-linux. We are treating x86
> and x86-linux differently just for maintaining a separate prefix
> tree. Now that gx86 are merged into prefix, and soon they will be one,
> it is reasonable to expect arch-linux and arch finally to be merged,
> too.
>
> arm and arm-linux would be a first trial. Let's hope it can prove the
> concept.

arm-linux profiles already exist. I proved it was easy to do years ago
so I'm confused on what you are trying to do. However, do not add any
arm-linux keywords to the tree! Also, you are extremely confused about
what it means now that gx86 and prefix are "merged" (Hint, nothing
changed and nothing is more or less 'merged'). I am also confused
about what you mean by "expect arch-linux and arch finally to be
merged" -- 'x86-linux' will never become 'x86'
-Jeremy