Old 11-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Marshall McMullen

Default module loading errors

I'm sure this is a "known" problem, but wanted to make sure....

I'm still getting sporadic module loading errors on AIX where the
modules are being looked for in the tmp/portage/.../image directory rather
than the directory it actually gets merged into. e.g:

0509-150 Dependent module /gsa/ausgsa-p5/15/gnu/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/subversion-1.4.5/image//gsa/ausgsa/projects/g/gnu/usr/lib/libsvn_wc-1.so could not be loaded.

I've figured out I can circumvent this problem by copying any needed
libraries into the directory it is looking for them in. However, is
there a more permanent "proper" fix for this yet?

My continued thanks for this awesome project, you guys are awesome!!

Old 11-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Michael Haubenwallner

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 17:43 +0000, Marshall McMullen wrote:
> I'm sure this is a "known" problem, but wanted to make sure....
>
> I'm still getting sporadic module loading errors on AIX where the
> modules are being looked for in the tmp/portage/.../image directory rather
> than the directory it actually gets merged into. e.g:
>
> 0509-150 Dependent module /gsa/ausgsa-p5/15/gnu/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/subversion-1.4.5/image//gsa/ausgsa/projects/g/gnu/usr/lib/libsvn_wc-1.so could not be loaded.

Yes, subversion still is broken on aix.

> I've figured out I can circumvent this problem by copying any needed
> libraries into the directory it is looking for them in. However, is
> there a more permanent "proper" fix for this yet?

Unfortunately not.
You get subversion to _work_ when you do this ?

Btw, I've started to get more insight into "aix shared objects and
runtime linking" (-brtl linker flag) for how it changes runtime
behaviour, how libtool (does|should) handle it, how it could help with
missing 'soname' support, and whether we should use it in prefix or not.
Any input on this topic welcome!

> My continued thanks for this awesome project, you guys are awesome!!

Thank you!

/haubi/
--
Michael Haubenwallner
Gentoo on a different level

Old 11-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Marshall McMullen

Haubi,

>> I've figured out I can circumvent this problem by copying any needed
>> libraries into the directory it is looking for them in. However, is
>> there a more permanent "proper" fix for this yet?

> Unfortunately not.
> You get subversion to _work_ when you do this ?

Actually, yes! I know, I figured that would never work, but it actually
works fairly well. The only problem I previously reported with the
thread subject "[AIX] subversion failures". However, those are easily
worked around by deleting the offending directories from the portage
tree then restarting the 'emerge --sync'.

> Btw, I've started to get more insight into "aix shared objects and
> runtime linking" (-brtl linker flag) for how it changes runtime
> behaviour, how libtool (does|should) handle it, how it could help with
> missing 'soname' support, and whether we should use it in prefix or not.
> Any input on this topic welcome!

Well, I'm certainly no expert on this, but I do work with some fellow
AIX developers that are _THE_ experts on the AIX Linker/Loader. If you
have specific questions or issues you'd like me to look into or get
answers to, please let me know and I'll look into them .

Thanks,
Marshall