-   -   Lion and vers_string (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-alt/640028-lion-vers_string.html)

Ramon van Alteren 03-02-2012 07:46 PM

Lion and vers_string

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 19:13, Fabian Groffen <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 02-03-2012 17:15:21 +0100, Ramon van Alteren wrote:
>> I'm trying to get prefix working on my shiney new spotify laptop which
>> came with Lion and I am running into problems with binutils-apple
>> I have the gcc-4.2.1 version header but the compilation for
>> binutils-apple fails due to missing vers_string.
>>
>> Any idea where I should get that ?
>
> can you post a compile fail snippet?

gcc -m64 -march=nocona -ULTO_SUPPORT -DNDEBUG
-I/Users/ramon/gprefix/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/binutils-apple-4.2/work/libunwind/include
-Wall -I./../include -march=nocona -ULTO_SUPPORT -DNDEBUG
-I/Users/ramon/gprefix/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/binutils-apple-4.2/work/libunwind/include
-c -MD -dependency-file ./replace.d
-o ./replace.o replace.c
md -d -u ./Makedep ./replace.d
vers_string -c ar > ./vers.c
/Users/ramon/gprefix/tmp/usr/bin/bash: vers_string: command not found
make[1]: *** [vers.c] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/Users/ramon/gprefix/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/binutils-apple-4.2/work/cctools-809/ar'
make: *** [all] Error 1
emake failed
* ERROR: sys-devel/binutils-apple-4.2 failed (compile phase):
* emake failed for the cctools
*
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 98: Called src_compile
* environment, line 2574: Called compile_cctools
* environment, line 614: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* emake LIB_PRUNETRIE="-L../../${LD64}/src -lprunetrie"
EFITOOLS= LTO= COMMON_SUBDIRS='libstuff ar misc otool' SUBDIRS_32=
RC_CFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" OFLAG="${CFLAGS}" || die "emake failed for the
cctools";

/Ramon

Charles Davis 03-02-2012 11:29 PM

Lion and vers_string

On Mar 2, 2012, at 1:46 PM, Ramon van Alteren wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 19:13, Fabian Groffen <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> On 02-03-2012 17:15:21 +0100, Ramon van Alteren wrote:
>>> I'm trying to get prefix working on my shiney new spotify laptop which
>>> came with Lion and I am running into problems with binutils-apple
>>> I have the gcc-4.2.1 version header but the compilation for
>>> binutils-apple fails due to missing vers_string.
>>>
>>> Any idea where I should get that ?
Here, you can have mine, assuming you accept the APSL 1.0 ;).

For your reference, the Apple package (on opensource.apple.com) that contains this is bootstrap_cmds.

Chip

Fabian Groffen 03-03-2012 07:07 AM

Lion and vers_string

On 02-03-2012 17:29:21 -0700, Charles Davis wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2012, at 1:46 PM, Ramon van Alteren wrote:

> Here, you can have mine, assuming you accept the APSL 1.0 ;).
>
> For your reference, the Apple package (on opensource.apple.com) that contains this is bootstrap_cmds.

So perhaps we should start packing those too?

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Ramon van Alteren 03-03-2012 04:07 PM

Lion and vers_string

Hey Charles,

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 01:29, Charles Davis <cdavis@mymail.mines.edu> wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2012, at 1:46 PM, Ramon van Alteren wrote:

> Here, you can have mine, assuming you accept the APSL 1.0 ;).

Yes I do, thanx... That solved the issue.

> For your reference, the Apple package (on opensource.apple.com) that contains this is bootstrap_cmds.

OK, picked that up as well, compiling it as a xcode project failed on
my machine because of a missing Makefile in /Developer which seems to
be the issue in general. It looks like Apple decided to change
locations and move stuff around.

How did you install your version ?

/Ramon

Ramon van Alteren 03-03-2012 04:31 PM

Lion and vers_string

Hi Fabian,

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 09:07, Fabian Groffen <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 02-03-2012 17:29:21 -0700, Charles Davis wrote:

>> Here, you can have mine, assuming you accept the APSL 1.0 ;).
>>
>> For your reference, the Apple package (on opensource.apple.com) that contains this is bootstrap_cmds.
>
> So perhaps we should start packing those too?

There seems to be some activity from apple in providing open source
packages for the former xcode deps.
While searching for a solution yesterday I stumbled across this blogpost:
http://kennethreitz.com/xcode-gcc-and-homebrew.html

Which details how to install the developer tools from apple without
having to pull in the full xcode download.
Might be worthwhile to follow up on, the actual package is 170Mb or so
but annoyingly missing vers_string....

/Ramon

Charles Davis 03-03-2012 05:31 PM

Lion and vers_string

On Mar 3, 2012, at 10:07 AM, Ramon van Alteren wrote:

> Hey Charles,
>
> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 01:29, Charles Davis <cdavis@mymail.mines.edu> wrote:
>> For your reference, the Apple package (on opensource.apple.com) that contains this is bootstrap_cmds.
>
> OK, picked that up as well, compiling it as a xcode project failed on
> my machine because of a missing Makefile in /Developer which seems to
> be the issue in general. It looks like Apple decided to change
> locations and move stuff around.
>
> How did you install your version ?
You shouldn't need to build anything. vers_string is a shell script (vers_string.sh in the distribution); you can just do:

$ sudo install -c -o root -g wheel vers_string.sh /usr/bin/vers_string

and you'll have a working vers_string.

Chip

Fabian Groffen 03-04-2012 07:51 AM

Lion and vers_string

On 03-03-2012 18:31:12 +0100, Ramon van Alteren wrote:
> >> For your reference, the Apple package (on opensource.apple.com) that contains this is bootstrap_cmds.
> >
> > So perhaps we should start packing those too?
>
> There seems to be some activity from apple in providing open source
> packages for the former xcode deps.
> While searching for a solution yesterday I stumbled across this blogpost:
> http://kennethreitz.com/xcode-gcc-and-homebrew.html
>
> Which details how to install the developer tools from apple without
> having to pull in the full xcode download.
> Might be worthwhile to follow up on, the actual package is 170Mb or so
> but annoyingly missing vers_string....

Sounds like we better just "fix" binutils-apple not to use vers_string.
It's output isn't that complex, as it seems to me.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Fabian Groffen 03-04-2012 02:42 PM

Lion and vers_string

On 04-03-2012 09:51:24 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:

> > > So perhaps we should start packing those too?
> >
> > There seems to be some activity from apple in providing open source
> > packages for the former xcode deps.
> > While searching for a solution yesterday I stumbled across this blogpost:
> > http://kennethreitz.com/xcode-gcc-and-homebrew.html
> >
> > Which details how to install the developer tools from apple without
> > having to pull in the full xcode download.
> > Might be worthwhile to follow up on, the actual package is 170Mb or so
> > but annoyingly missing vers_string....
>
> Sounds like we better just "fix" binutils-apple not to use vers_string.
> It's output isn't that complex, as it seems to me.

I patched this up now. Do you have /usr/bin/md, or is that missing too?

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Fabian Groffen 03-04-2012 03:22 PM

Lion and vers_string

> > > So perhaps we should start packing those too?
> >
> > There seems to be some activity from apple in providing open source
> > packages for the former xcode deps.
> > While searching for a solution yesterday I stumbled across this blogpost:
> > http://kennethreitz.com/xcode-gcc-and-homebrew.html
> >
> > Which details how to install the developer tools from apple without
> > having to pull in the full xcode download.
> > Might be worthwhile to follow up on, the actual package is 170Mb or so
> > but annoyingly missing vers_string....
>
> Sounds like we better just "fix" binutils-apple not to use vers_string.
> It's output isn't that complex, as it seems to me.

Ok, please remove/rename your /usr/bin/vers_string (I renamed it too,
but just to check) and see if binutils-apple-4.3 will emerge.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Ramon van Alteren 03-05-2012 04:22 PM

Lion and vers_string

Hi Fabian,

I have /usr/bin/md

And I checked and the updated version solves the problem, at least it
emerges in my existing prefix when I remove vers_string.

/Ramon