Old 04-03-2008, 06:05 AM
"Duft Markus"

Default eselect + bashcomp -- does it work in prefix?

Jeremy <mailto:jer.gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
> bug 214459 inspired me to look into eselect and bash completion. I
> question its reliability.
>
> % eselect bashcomp list
> Available completions:
> [1] cowsay *
> [2] eselect *
> [3] genlop *
> [4] subversion *
> [5] vim *
> [6] xxd
>
> So, I have eselect bashcomp enabled but when I try to tab complete
> some eselect command either nothing happens or it completes with the
> files in the CWD.

I have the same problem, and discussed this with haubi too. Seems like
nobody looks at the ~/.bash-completion.d/* files. Have you got bashcomp
emerged? I think this adds a script to profile.d which sources those,
but i'm not sure.

Cheers, Markus

Old 04-03-2008, 06:37 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 03-04-2008 08:05:32 +0200, Duft Markus wrote:
> Jeremy <mailto:jer.gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > So, I have eselect bashcomp enabled but when I try to tab complete
> > some eselect command either nothing happens or it completes with the
> > files in the CWD.
>
> I have the same problem, and discussed this with haubi too. Seems like
> nobody looks at the ~/.bash-completion.d/* files. Have you got bashcomp
> emerged? I think this adds a script to profile.d which sources those,
> but i'm not sure.

I'm no bash "interactive" user, so I have no clue how this is supposed
to work. It feels pretty much like you have to do some magic in your
own ~/.bash_rc, or mess with your "global" config, as in:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Use_TAB-completion_when_emerging_packages

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 04-03-2008, 03:50 PM
"Duft Markus"

Fabian Groffen <mailto:grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 03-04-2008 08:05:32 +0200, Duft Markus wrote:
>> Jeremy <mailto:jer.gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> So, I have eselect bashcomp enabled but when I try to tab complete
>>> some eselect command either nothing happens or it completes with the
>>> files in the CWD.
>>
>> I have the same problem, and discussed this with haubi too. Seems
>> like nobody looks at the ~/.bash-completion.d/* files. Have you got
>> bashcomp emerged? I think this adds a script to profile.d which
>> sources those, but i'm not sure.
>
> I'm no bash "interactive" user, so I have no clue how this is supposed
> to work. It feels pretty much like you have to do some magic in your
> own ~/.bash_rc, or mess with your "global" config, as in:
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Use_TAB-completion_when_emerging_packages

Ok, finally i got it to work attached is a small patch. The whole
thing was not ready for prefix at all.... I'm not sure if the
eprefixify's in the ebuild are in the correct position... At least
things work then for me with this:

emerge bash-completion
eselect bashcomp enable base
eselect bashcomp enable svn

Gives nice bashcomp for svn for me

Cheers, Markus

Old 04-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Jeremy

Duft Markus wrote:

Ok, finally i got it to work attached is a small patch. The whole
thing was not ready for prefix at all.... I'm not sure if the
eprefixify's in the ebuild are in the correct position... At least
things work then for me with this:

Yea, I figured it wasn't ready for prefix but I couldn't quite get it
working. Thanks for the patch! I'll try it out soon.

-Jeremy

Old 04-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Michael Haubenwallner

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 17:50 +0200, Duft Markus wrote:
> Fabian Groffen <mailto:grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> I have the same problem, and discussed this with haubi too. Seems
> >> like nobody looks at the ~/.bash-completion.d/* files. Have you got
> >> bashcomp emerged? I think this adds a script to profile.d which
> >> sources those, but i'm not sure.
> >
> > I'm no bash "interactive" user, so I have no clue how this is supposed
> > to work. It feels pretty much like you have to do some magic in your
> > own ~/.bash_rc, or mess with your "global" config, as in:
> > http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Use_TAB-completion_when_emerging_packages
>
> Ok, finally i got it to work attached is a small patch. The whole

Have just proxy-committed this patch...

/haubi/

--
Michael Haubenwallner
Gentoo on a different level

Old 04-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Jeremy

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Duft Markus <Markus.Duft@salomon.at> wrote:
> emerge bash-completion
> eselect bashcomp enable base
> eselect bashcomp enable svn

I'm slightly confused about how gentoo handles bash completion in
general. I was talking about eselect w/ USE=bashcomp and mduft patched
app-shells/bash-completion which is masked due to "Masked for
testing new enablement via eselect"

What is the correct method now-a-days?

-Jeremy

Old 04-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Jeremy

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Jeremy <jer.gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the correct method now-a-days?

Ah, sorry for the noise. It just kinda clicked now about thats masked
for testing does not exactly mean broken. Just alittle ambiguity there
that didn't make sense.

I'm going with the approach that bash completion via eselect needs the
bash-completion package..Not sure if that is accurate or not. Anyway
bash-completion confuses something with my shell and I will need to
look into it more.