-   -   sparc mysql-5.5.20 (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-alt/632499-sparc-mysql-5-5-20-a.html)

Scott Spyrison 02-13-2012 06:55 PM

sparc mysql-5.5.20

Hello,

I had a successful emerge system on sparc following the excellent
guide on bootstrapping Solaris. *I ran into a recently reported issue
with debianutils not being on the mirors, but worked through it based
on the information in the issue report. *My next step was to take a
backup of course, and then I started thinking about emerging packages.

The first one I tried was mysql-5.5.20 (with minimal). *I encountered
two issues, only one of which I was able to work-around.

1) emerge failed with:

Can't create output directory for
${EPREFIX}/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mysql-5.5.20/work/mysql-5.5.20_build/sql/share/ukrainian

The root cause of this was not anything ukrainian, but the fact that
${EPREFIX}/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mysql-5.5.20/work/mysql-5.5.20_build/sql/share
did not exist. I created it manually during the emerge from a
different shell (not good, I know, just testing) and then I had a
successful build. I see output indicating [100%] Buiilt target
symlink_libmysqlclient_r.so Install the project...

2) emerge then fails during install, and with --debug I can see:

+ newins ${EPREFIX}/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mysql-5.5.20/temp/my.cnf.ok my.cnf
You should not use ${EPREFIX} with helpers.
--> ${EPREFIX}/etc/mysql
* ERROR: dev-db/mysql-5.5.20 failed (install phase):
* newins failed

I intend to debug further, and I need to check more carefully on
Buzilla, but initially I did not see any reports on this. Any
suggestions, or indication that this is a localized problem as opposed
to a bug?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott Spyrison 02-14-2012 04:29 PM

sparc mysql-5.5.20

Been a while since I used Gentoo... and I am new to Gentoo Prefix.
I was in the Testing branch by default for some reason, because I had not configured make.conf otherwise. *
Long story short, explicitly configuring for the stable branch results in a clean build of*mysql-5.1.61 (sparc)

Now, on to openldap...

Jeremy Olexa 02-14-2012 05:06 PM

sparc mysql-5.5.20

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Scott Spyrison <spyrison@hawk.iit.edu> wrote:
> Been a while since I used Gentoo... and I am new to Gentoo Prefix.
>
> I was in the Testing branch by default for some reason, because I had not
> configured make.conf otherwise.
>
> Long story short, explicitly configuring for the stable branch results in a
> clean build of*mysql-5.1.61 (sparc)

There is no concept of "stable" and "testing" in Gentoo Prefix. It is
all at the same visibility level.
-Jeremy

Fabian Groffen 02-14-2012 05:14 PM

sparc mysql-5.5.20

Hi Scott,

On 13-02-2012 13:55:51 -0600, Scott Spyrison wrote:
> I had a successful emerge system on sparc following the excellent
> guide on bootstrapping Solaris. *I ran into a recently reported issue
> with debianutils not being on the mirors, but worked through it based
> on the information in the issue report. *My next step was to take a
> backup of course, and then I started thinking about emerging packages.

Ok, good to hear!

> The first one I tried was mysql-5.5.20 (with minimal). *I encountered
> two issues, only one of which I was able to work-around.
>
> 1) emerge failed with:
>
> Can't create output directory for
> ${EPREFIX}/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mysql-5.5.20/work/mysql-5.5.20_build/sql/share/ukrainian

Hmmm, odd.

> The root cause of this was not anything ukrainian, but the fact that
> ${EPREFIX}/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mysql-5.5.20/work/mysql-5.5.20_build/sql/share
> did not exist. I created it manually during the emerge from a
> different shell (not good, I know, just testing) and then I had a
> successful build. I see output indicating [100%] Buiilt target
> symlink_libmysqlclient_r.so Install the project...
>
> 2) emerge then fails during install, and with --debug I can see:
>
> + newins ${EPREFIX}/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mysql-5.5.20/temp/my.cnf.ok my.cnf
> You should not use ${EPREFIX} with helpers.
> --> ${EPREFIX}/etc/mysql
> * ERROR: dev-db/mysql-5.5.20 failed (install phase):
> * newins failed

This is a wrong ebuild/eclass. So don't waste your time on it. I'll
see if I can fix it now. Thanks.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Scott Spyrison 02-14-2012 06:14 PM

sparc mysql-5.5.20

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Jeremy Olexa <darkside@gentoo.org> wrote:

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Scott Spyrison <spyrison@hawk.iit.edu> wrote:

> Been a while since I used Gentoo... and I am new to Gentoo Prefix.

> I was in the Testing branch by default for some reason, because I had not

> configured make.conf otherwise.

> Long story short, explicitly configuring for the stable branch results in a

> clean build of*mysql-5.1.61 (sparc)

There is no concept of "stable" and "testing" in Gentoo Prefix. It is

all at the same visibility level.

*Ah, ok. *I have some reading to do on terminology then. *Sounds like I'm confusing keyword masking.
When I did not set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in make.conf, I got*mysql-5.5.20. *When I set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~sparc" I also got*mysql-5.5.20. *Latest iteration, when I set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="sparc" I got*mysql-5.1.56. *That's what I meant by testing/stable.

Jeremy Olexa 02-14-2012 07:09 PM

sparc mysql-5.5.20

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Scott Spyrison <spyrison@hawk.iit.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Jeremy Olexa <darkside@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Scott Spyrison <spyrison@hawk.iit.edu>
>> wrote:
>> > Been a while since I used Gentoo... and I am new to Gentoo Prefix.
>> >
>> > I was in the Testing branch by default for some reason, because I had
>> > not
>> > configured make.conf otherwise.
>> >
>> > Long story short, explicitly configuring for the stable branch results
>> > in a
>> > clean build of*mysql-5.1.61 (sparc)
>>
>> There is no concept of "stable" and "testing" in Gentoo Prefix. It is
>> all at the same visibility level.
>

> *Ah, ok. *I have some reading to do on terminology then. *Sounds like I'm
> confusing keyword masking.
>
> When I did not set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in make.conf, I got*mysql-5.5.20. *When I
> set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~sparc" I also got*mysql-5.5.20. *Latest iteration,
> when I set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="sparc" I got*mysql-5.1.56. *That's what I meant
> by testing/stable.

Oops. Full stop. "sparc" is NOT Gentoo Prefix, "sparc-solaris" is. You
best post your emerge --info now. You are bound for many more issues
with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=sparc.

-Jeremy

Scott Spyrison 02-14-2012 07:15 PM

sparc mysql-5.5.20

Oops. Full stop. "sparc" is NOT Gentoo Prefix, "sparc-solaris" is. You
best post your emerge --info now. You are bound for many more issues

with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=sparc.
*lol (at myself)
Let me go back and revisit with sparc-solaris then :-) *I'll post back if I have any challenges.