-   -   alias repos: gentoo_prefix to gentoo (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-alt/625670-alias-repos-gentoo_prefix-gentoo.html)

justin 01-27-2012 10:49 AM

alias repos: gentoo_prefix to gentoo

Hi,

in order to use "normal" overlays with the prefix overlay I like to
suggest to add

alias = gentoo

to the repos layout.conf.

This is needed if the overlay request the gentoo tree as master.

Any objections?

justin

Fabian Groffen 01-27-2012 11:08 AM

On 27-01-2012 12:49:37 +0100, justin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in order to use "normal" overlays with the prefix overlay I like to
> suggest to add
>
> alias = gentoo
>
> to the repos layout.conf.
>
> This is needed if the overlay request the gentoo tree as master.

what does this change do exactly? e.g. does it affect the current state
(where the rsync tree has a repo_name) and/or what happens to current
dev setups of rsync tree overlaid with the prefix overlay
(gentoo_prefix)?

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Konstantin Tokarev 01-27-2012 11:09 AM

27.01.2012, 15:49, "justin" <jlec@gentoo.org>:
> Hi,
>
> in order to use "normal" overlays with the prefix overlay I like to
> suggest to add
>
> alias = gentoo
>
> to the repos layout.conf.
>
> This is needed if the overlay request the gentoo tree as master.
>
> Any objections?

Do you know overlays with prefix support?

Konstantin

justin 01-27-2012 12:32 PM

On 27/01/12 13:09, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:

> 27.01.2012, 15:49, "justin" <jlec@gentoo.org>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> in order to use "normal" overlays with the prefix overlay I like to
>> suggest to add
>>
>> alias = gentoo
>>
>> to the repos layout.conf.
>>
>> This is needed if the overlay request the gentoo tree as master.
>>
>> Any objections?
>
> Do you know overlays with prefix support?

We are trying to make all packages in the science overlay prefix aware.
this no guaranty but we try.

justin

justin 01-27-2012 12:32 PM

On 27/01/12 13:08, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 27-01-2012 12:49:37 +0100, justin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> in order to use "normal" overlays with the prefix overlay I like to
>> suggest to add
>>
>> alias = gentoo
>>
>> to the repos layout.conf.
>>
>> This is needed if the overlay request the gentoo tree as master.
>
> what does this change do exactly? e.g. does it affect the current state
> (where the rsync tree has a repo_name) and/or what happens to current
> dev setups of rsync tree overlaid with the prefix overlay
> (gentoo_prefix)?

Hi,

currently

$EPREFIX/usr/portage/profiles/repo_name

says

gentoo_prefix

For any overlay one can define in

$OVERLAY/metadata/layout.conf

masters = gentoo

which would break usage of the overlay in combination with the prefix
overlay because the master must be "gentoo". Setting alias = gentoo
(which the prefix tree should be more then less) would allow such use
case as it would alias the prefix-tree to act as getnoo-tree.

As far as I know there will be change for the ordinary usability of the
prefix tree. also for the dev setups I don't see a problem, because the
change allows the lower overlays to find its master, which shouldn't
effect the rsync-tree/prefix-overlay combination as such.

justin

Fabian Groffen 01-27-2012 01:10 PM

On 27-01-2012 14:32:59 +0100, justin wrote:
> As far as I know there will be change for the ordinary usability of the
> prefix tree. also for the dev setups I don't see a problem, because the
> change allows the lower overlays to find its master, which shouldn't
> effect the rsync-tree/prefix-overlay combination as such.

do you overlay on the svn tree, or the prefix rsync tree?

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

justin 01-27-2012 02:15 PM

On 27/01/12 15:10, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 27-01-2012 14:32:59 +0100, justin wrote:
>> As far as I know there will be change for the ordinary usability of the
>> prefix tree. also for the dev setups I don't see a problem, because the
>> change allows the lower overlays to find its master, which shouldn't
>> effect the rsync-tree/prefix-overlay combination as such.
>
> do you overlay on the svn tree, or the prefix rsync tree?

the prefix rsync tree.

Fabian Groffen 01-27-2012 03:19 PM

On 27-01-2012 16:15:23 +0100, justin wrote:
> On 27/01/12 15:10, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> > On 27-01-2012 14:32:59 +0100, justin wrote:
> >> As far as I know there will be change for the ordinary usability of the
> >> prefix tree. also for the dev setups I don't see a problem, because the
> >> change allows the lower overlays to find its master, which shouldn't
> >> effect the rsync-tree/prefix-overlay combination as such.
> >
> > do you overlay on the svn tree, or the prefix rsync tree?
> >

> the prefix rsync tree.

ok, the prefix rsync tree has repo_name = gentoo_prefix

the prefix svn tree has no repo_name

(I have it locally, with repo_name set to gentoo)

So you want an alias in the prefix rsync tree to "gentoo"?

hmmm, I don't think that would hurt anyone, does it?

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Fabian Groffen 02-15-2012 07:04 AM

alias repos: gentoo_prefix to gentoo

On 27-01-2012 12:49:37 +0100, justin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in order to use "normal" overlays with the prefix overlay I like to
> suggest to add
>
> alias = gentoo
>
> to the repos layout.conf.
>
> This is needed if the overlay request the gentoo tree as master.
>
> Any objections?

I've added this change to the rsync image now. I hope it doesn't cause
problems. If any, please report.

Thanks

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Jeremy Olexa 02-15-2012 12:32 PM

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 2:04 AM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 27-01-2012 12:49:37 +0100, justin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> in order to use "normal" overlays with the prefix overlay I like to
>> suggest to add
>>
>> alias = gentoo
>>
>> to the repos layout.conf.
>>
>> This is needed if the overlay request the gentoo tree as master.
>>
>> Any objections?
>
> I've added this change to the rsync image now. *I hope it doesn't cause
> problems. *If any, please report.

It is actually "aliases = gentoo", not alias. See portage(5).