FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Alt

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Nils Ohlmeier
 
Default Installation workaround for findutils on Mac OS X

Hello,

I just wanted to share my installation experience of Gentoo Prefix on
Mac OS X 10.5.2 (with iPod SDK installed - not sure if that makes a
difference).


I followed this instructions
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-macos.xml


I had no issue with the step './bootstrap-prefix.sh $EPREFIX/tmp
findutils' but later on the linking failed at the 'emerge --oneshot
findutils' step.
The linker bailed out a signal 10 (bus error) and complained about
missing symbol '_strrchr'.
I looked around and it turned out that all current versions in the
portage tree from 4.2.32 to 4.3.13 had the same issue. Further digging
showed that the problem was actually the gnulib contained in the
findutils. Particularly fts.c and progname.c are the only files which
contain a call to strrchr().
It turned out that I only could successfully bootstrap the findutils in
the first step, because that step fetches findutils 4.2.31. And this old
version of the findutils contains an old version of the gnulib which
does not contain fts.c or progname.c.
Thus I created an ebuild for findutils-4.2.31 by hand and emerge that
with 'emerge --oneshot =findutils-4.2.31'. After that I was able to
finish the Gentoo Prefix bootstrap. And after the 'emerge --sync' the
upgrade to findutils-4.4.0 went smooth.


--
gentoo-alt@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-31-2008, 05:25 PM
Fabian Groffen
 
Default Installation workaround for findutils on Mac OS X

On 30-03-2008 18:31:20 +0200, Nils Ohlmeier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just wanted to share my installation experience of Gentoo Prefix on Mac
> OS X 10.5.2 (with iPod SDK installed - not sure if that makes a
> difference).

Can you run /usr/bin/gcc --version and post the output, please?

> I followed this instructions
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-macos.xml
>
> I had no issue with the step './bootstrap-prefix.sh $EPREFIX/tmp findutils'
> but later on the linking failed at the 'emerge --oneshot findutils' step.
> The linker bailed out a signal 10 (bus error) and complained about missing
> symbol '_strrchr'.
> I looked around and it turned out that all current versions in the portage
> tree from 4.2.32 to 4.3.13 had the same issue. Further digging showed that
> the problem was actually the gnulib contained in the findutils.
> Particularly fts.c and progname.c are the only files which contain a call
> to strrchr().
> It turned out that I only could successfully bootstrap the findutils in the
> first step, because that step fetches findutils 4.2.31. And this old
> version of the findutils contains an old version of the gnulib which does
> not contain fts.c or progname.c.
> Thus I created an ebuild for findutils-4.2.31 by hand and emerge that with
> 'emerge --oneshot =findutils-4.2.31'. After that I was able to finish the
> Gentoo Prefix bootstrap. And after the 'emerge --sync' the upgrade to
> findutils-4.4.0 went smooth.

Looks like the compiler/linker installed by prefix is less buggy than
what's on your system now. At least that's a good thing


--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level
--
gentoo-alt@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-31-2008, 05:42 PM
Nils Ohlmeier
 
Default Installation workaround for findutils on Mac OS X

Fabian Groffen schrieb:

On 30-03-2008 18:31:20 +0200, Nils Ohlmeier wrote:

Hello,

I just wanted to share my installation experience of Gentoo Prefix on Mac
OS X 10.5.2 (with iPod SDK installed - not sure if that makes a
difference).


Can you run /usr/bin/gcc --version and post the output, please?


$ /usr/bin/gcc --version
i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5478)

Alternatively I have also a gcc-4.2 available:
i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5555)

But compiler produced exactly the same error. No wonder as the linker
had the issue ;-)


I followed this instructions
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-macos.xml


I had no issue with the step './bootstrap-prefix.sh $EPREFIX/tmp findutils'
but later on the linking failed at the 'emerge --oneshot findutils' step.
The linker bailed out a signal 10 (bus error) and complained about missing
symbol '_strrchr'.
I looked around and it turned out that all current versions in the portage
tree from 4.2.32 to 4.3.13 had the same issue. Further digging showed that
the problem was actually the gnulib contained in the findutils.
Particularly fts.c and progname.c are the only files which contain a call
to strrchr().
It turned out that I only could successfully bootstrap the findutils in the
first step, because that step fetches findutils 4.2.31. And this old
version of the findutils contains an old version of the gnulib which does
not contain fts.c or progname.c.
Thus I created an ebuild for findutils-4.2.31 by hand and emerge that with
'emerge --oneshot =findutils-4.2.31'. After that I was able to finish the
Gentoo Prefix bootstrap. And after the 'emerge --sync' the upgrade to
findutils-4.4.0 went smooth.


Looks like the compiler/linker installed by prefix is less buggy than
what's on your system now. At least that's a good thing


At least the installed macport was not the problem (that did not made
any difference) ;-)


Greetings
Nils
--
gentoo-alt@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-02-2008, 07:13 AM
Matt Michalowski
 
Default Installation workaround for findutils on Mac OS X

Nils Ohlmeier wrote:
Thus I created an ebuild for findutils-4.2.31 by hand and emerge that
with 'emerge --oneshot =findutils-4.2.31'. After that I was able to
finish the Gentoo Prefix bootstrap. And after the 'emerge --sync' the
upgrade to findutils-4.4.0 went smooth.





Am I alone in not being able to emerge findutils-4.4.0 from 4.3.13? I
get this error on x86-macosx, x86-linux & amd64-linux installs, when
it's trying to make the doc:


Making all in doc
make[2]: Entering directory
`/opt/hwbp/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/findutils-4.4.0/work/findutils-4.4.0/doc'
make[3]: Entering directory
`/opt/hwbp/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/findutils-4.4.0/work/findutils-4.4.0'
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/opt/hwbp/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/findutils-4.4.0/work/findutils-4.4.0'

restore=: && backupdir=".am$$" &&
am__cwd=`pwd` && cd . &&
rm -rf $backupdir && mkdir $backupdir &&
if (/bin/sh
/opt/hwbp/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/findutils-4.4.0/work/findutils-4.4.0/build-aux/missing
--run makeinfo --version) >/dev/null 2>&1; then
for f in find.info find.info-[0-9] find.info-[0-9][0-9]
find.i[0-9] find.i[0-9][0-9]; do

if test -f $f; then mv $f $backupdir; restore=mv; else :; fi;
done;
else :; fi &&
cd "$am__cwd";
if /bin/sh
/opt/hwbp/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/findutils-4.4.0/work/findutils-4.4.0/build-aux/missing
--run makeinfo -I .

-o find.info find.texi;
then
rc=0;
cd .;
else
rc=$?;
cd . &&
$restore $backupdir/* `echo "./find.info" | sed 's|[^/]*$||'`;
fi;
rm -rf $backupdir; exit $rc
find.texi:10: @include `../locate/dblocation.texi': No such file or
directory.

find.texi:554: warning: undefined flag: LOCATE_DB.
find.texi:2681: warning: undefined flag: LOCATE_DB.
find.texi:2683: warning: undefined flag: LOCATE_DB.
find.texi:3160: warning: undefined flag: LOCATE_DB.
find.texi:3346: warning: undefined flag: LOCATE_DB.
find.texi:5230: warning: undefined flag: LOCATE_DB.
find.texi:5238: warning: undefined flag: LOCATE_DB.
makeinfo: Removing output file `find.info' due to errors; use --force to
preserve.

make[2]: *** [find.info] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/opt/hwbp/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/findutils-4.4.0/work/findutils-4.4.0/doc'

make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/opt/hwbp/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/findutils-4.4.0/work/findutils-4.4.0'

make: *** [all] Error 2

I can understand dblocation.texi not being built since the ebuild seds
out the locate directory from the top level Makefile, but so do the
earlier ebuilds and they get through fine. Any ideas?


Matt.

--
gentoo-alt@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Fabian Groffen
 
Default Installation workaround for findutils on Mac OS X

On 02-04-2008 18:13:32 +1100, Matt Michalowski wrote:
> Nils Ohlmeier wrote:
>> Thus I created an ebuild for findutils-4.2.31 by hand and emerge that with
>> 'emerge --oneshot =findutils-4.2.31'. After that I was able to finish the
>> Gentoo Prefix bootstrap. And after the 'emerge --sync' the upgrade to
>> findutils-4.4.0 went smooth.
>>
>
>
> Am I alone in not being able to emerge findutils-4.4.0 from 4.3.13? I get
> this error on x86-macosx, x86-linux & amd64-linux installs, when it's
> trying to make the doc:

I'm starting to feel like we need stable and unstable keywords


> Making all in doc
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/opt/hwbp/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/findutils-4.4.0/work/findutils-4.4.0/doc'
> make[3]: Entering directory
> `/opt/hwbp/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/findutils-4.4.0/work/findutils-4.4.0'
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/opt/hwbp/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/findutils-4.4.0/work/findutils-4.4.0'
> restore=: && backupdir=".am$$" &&
> am__cwd=`pwd` && cd . &&
> rm -rf $backupdir && mkdir $backupdir &&
> if (/bin/sh
> /opt/hwbp/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/findutils-4.4.0/work/findutils-4.4.0/build-aux/missing
> --run makeinfo --version) >/dev/null 2>&1; then
> for f in find.info find.info-[0-9] find.info-[0-9][0-9]
> find.i[0-9] find.i[0-9][0-9]; do
> if test -f $f; then mv $f $backupdir; restore=mv; else :; fi;
> done;
> else :; fi &&
> cd "$am__cwd";
> if /bin/sh
> /opt/hwbp/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/findutils-4.4.0/work/findutils-4.4.0/build-aux/missing
> --run makeinfo -I .
> -o find.info find.texi;
> then
> rc=0;
> cd .;
> else
> rc=$?;
> cd . &&
> $restore $backupdir/* `echo "./find.info" | sed 's|[^/]*$||'`;
> fi;
> rm -rf $backupdir; exit $rc
> find.texi:10: @include `../locate/dblocation.texi': No such file or
> directory.
> find.texi:554: warning: undefined flag: LOCATE_DB.
> find.texi:2681: warning: undefined flag: LOCATE_DB.
> find.texi:2683: warning: undefined flag: LOCATE_DB.
> find.texi:3160: warning: undefined flag: LOCATE_DB.
> find.texi:3346: warning: undefined flag: LOCATE_DB.
> find.texi:5230: warning: undefined flag: LOCATE_DB.
> find.texi:5238: warning: undefined flag: LOCATE_DB.
> makeinfo: Removing output file `find.info' due to errors; use --force to
> preserve.
> make[2]: *** [find.info] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/opt/hwbp/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/findutils-4.4.0/work/findutils-4.4.0/doc'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/opt/hwbp/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/findutils-4.4.0/work/findutils-4.4.0'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> I can understand dblocation.texi not being built since the ebuild seds out
> the locate directory from the top level Makefile, but so do the earlier
> ebuilds and they get through fine. Any ideas?
>
> Matt.
>
> --
> gentoo-alt@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
>

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level
--
gentoo-alt@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-02-2008, 10:18 AM
 
Default Installation workaround for findutils on Mac OS X

> Nils Ohlmeier wrote:
>> Thus I created an ebuild for findutils-4.2.31 by hand and emerge that
>> with 'emerge --oneshot =findutils-4.2.31'. After that I was able to
>> finish the Gentoo Prefix bootstrap. And after the 'emerge --sync' the
>> upgrade to findutils-4.4.0 went smooth.
>>
>
>
> Am I alone in not being able to emerge findutils-4.4.0 from 4.3.13? I
> get this error on x86-macosx, x86-linux & amd64-linux installs, when
> it's trying to make the doc:

I'm not sure if this helps you, but I bootstrapped on x86-linux from
scratch this morning. My script has no special handling of findutils and
it seems that it emerges version 4.4.0 with no problems (3 times
altogether). But again, things may be different if 4.3.13 has been emerged
before.

--Rabbe Fogelholm

--
gentoo-alt@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:54 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org