Old 03-27-2008, 04:46 PM
Michael Weiser

Default linkage of libiconv on mac os x

Hello,

I noticed that quite a number of binaries and libraries in my prefix
installation are linked against /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib as well as
${EPREFIX}/usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib. My system is Mac OS X 10.5.2.

The cause seems obvious: If some package doesn't add
-I${EPREFIX}/usr/include and -L${EPREFIX}/usr/lib to its CFLAGS and
LDFLAGS, it will link against the system's libiconv. If this package
happens to be a library like glib, it pulls it into all the binaries
that link against it.

This hasn't caused any problems thus far but I'm wondering if this is
known behaviour or a bug in my setup.
--
Thanks in advance,
Micha

Old 03-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Fabian Groffen

On 27-03-2008 18:46:02 +0100, Michael Weiser wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed that quite a number of binaries and libraries in my prefix
> installation are linked against /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib as well as
> ${EPREFIX}/usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib. My system is Mac OS X 10.5.2.
>
> The cause seems obvious: If some package doesn't add
> -I${EPREFIX}/usr/include and -L${EPREFIX}/usr/lib to its CFLAGS and
> LDFLAGS, it will link against the system's libiconv. If this package
> happens to be a library like glib, it pulls it into all the binaries
> that link against it.

This is exactly the reason we are using wrappers that inject those
flags. If gcc and ld aren't first in your default search-path, things
will get difficult.

> This hasn't caused any problems thus far but I'm wondering if this is
> known behaviour or a bug in my setup.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level