-   -   OT: gcc-apple and fortran support (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-alt/599273-ot-gcc-apple-fortran-support.html)

Fabian Groffen 11-16-2011 02:48 PM

OT: gcc-apple and fortran support

On 16-11-2011 16:34:42 +0100, Burcin Erocal wrote:
> I've been developing a (math oriented) scientific software distribution
> [1] based on gentoo-prefix and sage-on-gentoo [2]. This relies on the
> compiler and toolchain on the host instead of building everything from
> scratch. Progress is rather slow, since I don't have much time to work
> on this, but it's getting there.
>
> [1] https://bitbucket.org/burcin/sage-prefix
> [2] https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo
>
> It can build Sage [3] with all it's dependencies (modulo jmol - a java
> application for 3D graphs) on various linux distros. I don't have
> access to any OSX machines other than a 10.5 PPC box, where everything
> that doesn't need a fortran compiler works. I've had reports that OSX
> 10.6 is in a similar state.

If you'd use the Prefix toolchain, you could also do all fortran stuff
on OSX, since the Prefix gcc-apple has Fortran added :)

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Burcin Erocal 11-16-2011 03:55 PM

OT: gcc-apple and fortran support

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 16:48:11 +0100
Fabian Groffen <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 16-11-2011 16:34:42 +0100, Burcin Erocal wrote:
> > I've been developing a (math oriented) scientific software
> > distribution [1] based on gentoo-prefix and sage-on-gentoo [2].
> > This relies on the compiler and toolchain on the host instead of
> > building everything from scratch. Progress is rather slow, since I
> > don't have much time to work on this, but it's getting there.
> >
> > [1] https://bitbucket.org/burcin/sage-prefix
> > [2] https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo
> >
> > It can build Sage [3] with all it's dependencies (modulo jmol - a
> > java application for 3D graphs) on various linux distros. I don't
> > have access to any OSX machines other than a 10.5 PPC box, where
> > everything that doesn't need a fortran compiler works. I've had
> > reports that OSX 10.6 is in a similar state.
>
> If you'd use the Prefix toolchain, you could also do all fortran stuff
> on OSX, since the Prefix gcc-apple has Fortran added :)

The aim is to keep the size around that of Sage, 325 MB tarball with all
sources [1] or 469 MB lzma 64-bit linux binary. This is already
difficult, including the toolchain would make it impossible.

[1] http://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/sagemath/src/index.html
[2] http://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/sagemath/linux/64bit/index.html

Sage distributes g95 and gfortran binaries for OSX. I tried to use a g95
binary on the 10.5 PPC box mentioned above. It insisted on using
libtool installed on the host which was too old and couldn't handle
some of the options g95 gave. I might have to give gcc-apple a try
after all.

Cheers,
Burcin