FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Alt

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Fabian Groffen
 
Default Interix bootstrapping

On 19-03-2008 13:01:39 +0100, Duft Markus wrote:
> > I selected NFS support in the SFU installer, so I hope that it also
> > reasonably works, such that I can work over NFS with my dev-tree.
>
> Wow, i never tried NFS with interix, but i think it should work (they
> dropped support for it inlater version though i think ).

/net works out of the box. That's even more than on *BSD.
I'm really impressed by this Microsoft product. My NFS server doesn't
like the windows box because it has of course not the same user id's,
but using the map user in the SFU MMC, it seems I can fix that.
Currently I am with stunning amazement looking at how bash-3.2 is
configuring without problems on Interix using a slightly hacked up
bootstrap-bash.sh script. If that finishes, I'm really starting to
wonder why Microsoft made something working so smooth that immitates
their potential rivals...

It seems there is no tool that can download files (used IE, uck!) in
Interix by default, right? ftp seems to dislike command line usage.


--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level
--
gentoo-alt@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Fabian Groffen
 
Default Interix bootstrapping

On 19-03-2008 23:05:43 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> Currently I am with stunning amazement looking at how bash-3.2 is
> configuring without problems on Interix using a slightly hacked up
> bootstrap-bash.sh script. If that finishes, I'm really starting to
> wonder why Microsoft made something working so smooth that immitates
> their potential rivals...

OMG, it just installed, and runs fine.


--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level
--
gentoo-alt@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-19-2008, 09:47 PM
"alessandro salvatori"
 
Default Interix bootstrapping

Fabian,

are you gonna jot down some documentation?

Alessandro - wagging his tail...

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 19-03-2008 23:05:43 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> > Currently I am with stunning amazement looking at how bash-3.2 is
> > configuring without problems on Interix using a slightly hacked up
> > bootstrap-bash.sh script. If that finishes, I'm really starting to
> > wonder why Microsoft made something working so smooth that immitates
> > their potential rivals...
>
> OMG, it just installed, and runs fine.
>
>
>
>
> --
> Fabian Groffen
> Gentoo on a different level
> --
> gentoo-alt@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
>
>



--
In C, you merely shoot yourself in the foot.

In C++, you accidentally create a dozen instances of yourself and
shoot them all in the foot. Providing emergency medical care is
impossible, because you can't tell which are bitwise copies and which
are just pointing at others and saying, "That's me, over there."

A l e s s a n d r o
S a l v a t o r i
--
gentoo-alt@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-20-2008, 06:26 AM
"Duft Markus"
 
Default Interix bootstrapping

Fabian Groffen <mailto:grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 19-03-2008 23:05:43 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
>> Currently I am with stunning amazement looking at how bash-3.2 is
>> configuring without problems on Interix using a slightly hacked up
>> bootstrap-bash.sh script. If that finishes, I'm really starting to
>> wonder why Microsoft made something working so smooth that immitates
>> their potential rivals...
>
> OMG, it just installed, and runs fine.

this part of the system should be quite usable by now, yes. But still,
very cool that it works for you too

Cheers, Markus

>
>
> --
> Fabian Groffen
> Gentoo on a different level

--
gentoo-alt@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-20-2008, 08:11 AM
Fabian Groffen
 
Default Interix bootstrapping

On 20-03-2008 08:26:15 +0100, Duft Markus wrote:
> Fabian Groffen <mailto:grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > On 19-03-2008 23:05:43 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> >> Currently I am with stunning amazement looking at how bash-3.2 is
> >> configuring without problems on Interix using a slightly hacked up
> >> bootstrap-bash.sh script. If that finishes, I'm really starting to
> >> wonder why Microsoft made something working so smooth that immitates
> >> their potential rivals...
> >
> > OMG, it just installed, and runs fine.
>
> this part of the system should be quite usable by now, yes. But still,
> very cool that it works for you too

It's just one package, but hey, it's Windows afterall


--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level
--
gentoo-alt@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-20-2008, 08:29 AM
Fabian Groffen
 
Default Interix bootstrapping

On 19-03-2008 15:47:45 -0700, alessandro salvatori wrote:
> Fabian,
>
> are you gonna jot down some documentation?

I'll try and see how far I'll get using my own old-fashioned way of
bootstrapping. I do expect to need prefix-launcher, hence that will
result in my first experience with it... In any case, if or if not I
succeed, I'll put my experiences online (in the worst case like I did
for OpenBSD).


--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level
--
gentoo-alt@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-20-2008, 09:02 AM
"Duft Markus"
 
Default Interix bootstrapping

Fabian Groffen <mailto:grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 20-03-2008 08:26:15 +0100, Duft Markus wrote:
>> Fabian Groffen <mailto:grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>> On 19-03-2008 23:05:43 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
>>>> Currently I am with stunning amazement looking at how bash-3.2 is
>>>> configuring without problems on Interix using a slightly hacked up
>>>> bootstrap-bash.sh script. If that finishes, I'm really starting to
>>>> wonder why Microsoft made something working so smooth that
>>>> immitates their potential rivals...
>>>
>>> OMG, it just installed, and runs fine.
>>
>> this part of the system should be quite usable by now, yes. But
>> still, very cool that it works for you too
>
> It's just one package, but hey, it's Windows afterall

Lol, i'm using xfterm4 right now for daily work, and it's quite stable
(not a single problem until now) so bash is somehow.... Trivial

Cheers, Markus

>
>
> --
> Fabian Groffen
> Gentoo on a different level

--
gentoo-alt@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:57 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org