Old 10-24-2011, 01:47 AM
Nicolas Pinto

Default Prefix: how to prevent the linker to prepend -L/usr/lib/../lib64 ?

Hello,

Many of the build problems I'm having with Gentoo Prefix come from the
fact that gcc/ld has "hardcoded" linker search paths (e.g. -L
/usr/lib/../lib64) coming *before* the gentoo prefix ones (i.e.
$EPREFIX/usr/lib, etc.) and causing many packages to fail emerging on
most Linux distributions (CentOS, RedHat, Mandriva, Ubuntu, even
Gentoo itself) where the system libraries are incompatible.

The only workaround I found is the ugly
LDFLAGS="-l:$EPREFIX/usr/lib/libXXX.so" emerge YYY.

Any thoughts on what what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Nicolas

Old 10-24-2011, 03:36 AM
Martin Luessi

Nicolas,

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Nicolas Pinto <nicolas.pinto@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Many of the build problems I'm having with Gentoo Prefix come from the
> fact that gcc/ld has "hardcoded" linker search paths (e.g. -L
> /usr/lib/../lib64) coming *before* the gentoo prefix ones (i.e.
> $EPREFIX/usr/lib, etc.) and causing many packages to fail emerging on
> most Linux distributions (CentOS, RedHat, Mandriva, Ubuntu, even
> Gentoo itself) where the system libraries are incompatible.
>
> The only workaround I found is the ugly
> LDFLAGS="-l:$EPREFIX/usr/lib/libXXX.so" emerge YYY.
>
> Any thoughts on what what I am doing wrong?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nicolas

Did you by any chance emerge gcc with the "vanilla" useflag enabled? I
am asking since I had similar problems when I was installing
gentoo-prefix on CentOS a few weeks ago. Gcc 4.5.3 wouldn't compile
without the "vanilla" useflag enabled, so I enabled it. After that
many packages failed to compile since they were being linked against
system libraries instead of the prefix ones. What I did is mask gcc
versions that are too new (>4.2.4 in my case) to be compatible with
the CentOs glibc.

Best,

Martin

Old 10-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 23-10-2011 23:36:12 -0400, Martin Luessi wrote:
> Did you by any chance emerge gcc with the "vanilla" useflag enabled? I
> am asking since I had similar problems when I was installing
> gentoo-prefix on CentOS a few weeks ago. Gcc 4.5.3 wouldn't compile
> without the "vanilla" useflag enabled, so I enabled it. After that
> many packages failed to compile since they were being linked against
> system libraries instead of the prefix ones. What I did is mask gcc
> versions that are too new (>4.2.4 in my case) to be compatible with
> the CentOs glibc.

Oh, thanks for the hint. I guess we should either mask vanilla, or
apply the critial prefix patches for this regardless of USE=vanilla.

Mind filing a bug for this?

Thanks a lot for the insight!

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 12-08-2011, 05:05 AM
Nicolas Pinto

I was indeed using USE=vanilla to get gcc 4.5.3 to compile and it
appears that all my issues where caused by this useflag.

So I removed this useflag and masked >sys-devel/gcc-4.2.4-r01.

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Nicolas

--
Nicolas Pinto
http://web.mit.edu/pinto

Old 12-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Jeremy Olexa

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Nicolas Pinto <nicolas.pinto@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was indeed using USE=vanilla to get gcc 4.5.3 to compile and it
> appears that all my issues where caused by this useflag.
>
> So I removed this useflag and masked >sys-devel/gcc-4.2.4-r01.

You shouldn't need to mask it (anymore), see bug 289757. Please test
if you have time.
-Jeremy