Old 03-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Fabian Groffen

Default The lost case of OpenBSD

I think I'll give up on bootstrapping on OpenBSD. Not only is the
machine (Athlon64X2 3800+) with OpenBSD slower than my Solaris/Sparc
502MHz machine, but both binutils and GCC appear to not know anything
about the target x86_64-pc-openbsd4.2... So I guess I quit with it.

Next thing to try is NetBSD4.0 or something. I hope it's less slow, as
it is no fun when a fast machine is demoted to an old Sparc by some
piece of software.

I also installed SFU (Interix 3.5) on a Windows2000 installation (it
feels even faster...) and was wondering, is there a guide somewhere how
to bootstrap on Interix? I already hit my first windows experience; it
claims the telnet server is running, but it definitely isn't: no ports
opened, and also their own telnet client can't connect...

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 03-19-2008, 06:20 AM
"Duft Markus"

Fabian Groffen <mailto:grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I think I'll give up on bootstrapping on OpenBSD. Not only is the
> machine (Athlon64X2 3800+) with OpenBSD slower than my Solaris/Sparc
> 502MHz machine, but both binutils and GCC appear to not know anything
> about the target x86_64-pc-openbsd4.2... So I guess I quit with it.
>
> Next thing to try is NetBSD4.0 or something. I hope it's less slow,
> as it is no fun when a fast machine is demoted to an old Sparc by some
> piece of software.
>
> I also installed SFU (Interix 3.5) on a Windows2000 installation (it
> feels even faster...) and was wondering, is there a guide somewhere

lol. If interix is faster than something else then the other thing is
realy sloow

> how to bootstrap on Interix? I already hit my first windows
> experience; it claims the telnet server is running, but it definitely
> isn't: no ports opened, and also their own telnet client can't
> connect...

There is the prefix-launcher installation WIKI [1], which could be
followed for interix too, but right now the prefix-launcher release is a
little too old. I use a SVN checkout of prefix-launcher, which then can
be built like this:

(in the prefix-launcher source dir):
gmake install PREFIX=/path/to/prefix-launcher/prefix DISTTYPE=SNAPSHOT

The disttype thing is to keep it from thinking it's a developer build
since it was checked out. The prefix default is /usr/local/ where it
would create a prefix-launcher-1pre.<date> directory.

The rest can be done as described in the prefix-launcher bootstrap WIKI
[2]. Hope this works, i'm just about to bootstrap a new prefix again
too, but have problems with the SHA256 hashes, since prefix-launcher
uses python 2.4 (argl...). The currently only solution i have is
deleting any manifest that produces hash failures.

Also most of the things i recently submitted to haubi for checkin are
tested on interix 5.2 (SUA, win 2003 R2 only) only - i'm working on 3.5
so far only system is really tested.

[1]
http://prefix-launcher.wiki.sourceforge.net/howto+install+prefix+launche
[2]
http://prefix-launcher.wiki.sourceforge.net/howto+bootstrap+gentoo-alt+p
refix

Cheers, Markus

Old 03-19-2008, 07:23 AM
"alessandro salvatori"

Fabien,

one of the last times I had been to Paris I stumbled upon a group
of guys that were going to the pkgsrc conference, and joined them to
learn more...

apparently pkgsrc "ports" are available for Interix, so perhaps some
of these guys may give you some guidance. if you bring portage to SFU,
you'd made me and many other people happy!!!

bonne chance!
-Alessandro

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:20 AM, Duft Markus <Markus.Duft@salomon.at> wrote:
> Fabian Groffen <mailto:grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > I think I'll give up on bootstrapping on OpenBSD. Not only is the
> > machine (Athlon64X2 3800+) with OpenBSD slower than my Solaris/Sparc
> > 502MHz machine, but both binutils and GCC appear to not know anything
> > about the target x86_64-pc-openbsd4.2... So I guess I quit with it.
> >
> > Next thing to try is NetBSD4.0 or something. I hope it's less slow,
> > as it is no fun when a fast machine is demoted to an old Sparc by some
> > piece of software.
> >
> > I also installed SFU (Interix 3.5) on a Windows2000 installation (it
> > feels even faster...) and was wondering, is there a guide somewhere
>
> lol. If interix is faster than something else then the other thing is
> realy sloow
>

> > how to bootstrap on Interix? I already hit my first windows
> > experience; it claims the telnet server is running, but it definitely
> > isn't: no ports opened, and also their own telnet client can't
> > connect...
>
> There is the prefix-launcher installation WIKI [1], which could be
> followed for interix too, but right now the prefix-launcher release is a
> little too old. I use a SVN checkout of prefix-launcher, which then can
> be built like this:
>
> (in the prefix-launcher source dir):
> gmake install PREFIX=/path/to/prefix-launcher/prefix DISTTYPE=SNAPSHOT
>
> The disttype thing is to keep it from thinking it's a developer build
> since it was checked out. The prefix default is /usr/local/ where it
> would create a prefix-launcher-1pre.<date> directory.
>
> The rest can be done as described in the prefix-launcher bootstrap WIKI
> [2]. Hope this works, i'm just about to bootstrap a new prefix again
> too, but have problems with the SHA256 hashes, since prefix-launcher
> uses python 2.4 (argl...). The currently only solution i have is
> deleting any manifest that produces hash failures.
>
> Also most of the things i recently submitted to haubi for checkin are
> tested on interix 5.2 (SUA, win 2003 R2 only) only - i'm working on 3.5
> so far only system is really tested.
>
> [1]
> http://prefix-launcher.wiki.sourceforge.net/howto+install+prefix+launche
> [2]
> http://prefix-launcher.wiki.sourceforge.net/howto+bootstrap+gentoo-alt+p
> refix
>
> Cheers, Markus
>

> > --
>

> > Fabian Groffen
> > Gentoo on a different level

In C, you merely shoot yourself in the foot.

In C++, you accidentally create a dozen instances of yourself and
shoot them all in the foot. Providing emergency medical care is
impossible, because you can't tell which are bitwise copies and which
are just pointing at others and saying, "That's me, over there."

A l e s s a n d r o
S a l v a t o r i

Old 03-19-2008, 08:32 AM
"Duft Markus"

alessandro salvatori <mailto:sandr8@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fabien,
>
> one of the last times I had been to Paris I stumbled upon a group
> of guys that were going to the pkgsrc conference, and joined them to
> learn more...
>
> apparently pkgsrc "ports" are available for Interix, so perhaps some
> of these guys may give you some guidance. if you bring portage to SFU,
> you'd made me and many other people happy!!!

Hi Alessandro!

There are lots of packages available for SUA 5.2 allready. I just have
to find some time to test them on SFU 3.5 too. On SUA i have for example
xfce4, some X terminals, audacious (currently streaming to an esound
daemon built from cygwin) and some other cool stuff running. But SUA 5.2
runs on windows server 2003 R2 only, so for XP you will have to wait a
little

Cheers, Markus

> bonne chance!
> -Alessandro

<snip>

Old 03-19-2008, 09:42 AM
"Duft Markus"

Duft Markus <mailto:Markus.Duft@salomon.at> wrote:
> Fabian Groffen <mailto:grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
<snip>

> The rest can be done as described in the prefix-launcher bootstrap
> WIKI [2]. Hope this works, i'm just about to bootstrap a new prefix
> again too, but have problems with the SHA256 hashes, since
> prefix-launcher uses python 2.4 (argl...). The currently only
> solution i have is deleting any manifest that produces hash failures.

Arg, forgot something: at the stage mirrorconfig (when eprefix-launcher
stops for the first time) you will want to svn up the prefix tree. I
know at that time there is no svn client compiled, but you can use
tortoise svn for windows for example.

Cheers, Markus

Old 03-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 19-03-2008 11:42:21 +0100, Duft Markus wrote:
> Duft Markus <mailto:Markus.Duft@salomon.at> wrote:
> > Fabian Groffen <mailto:grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > The rest can be done as described in the prefix-launcher bootstrap
> > WIKI [2]. Hope this works, i'm just about to bootstrap a new prefix
> > again too, but have problems with the SHA256 hashes, since
> > prefix-launcher uses python 2.4 (argl...). The currently only
> > solution i have is deleting any manifest that produces hash failures.
>
> Arg, forgot something: at the stage mirrorconfig (when eprefix-launcher
> stops for the first time) you will want to svn up the prefix tree. I
> know at that time there is no svn client compiled, but you can use
> tortoise svn for windows for example.

I selected NFS support in the SFU installer, so I hope that it also
reasonably works, such that I can work over NFS with my dev-tree.

(But this idea may be a bit too much to ask for Windows...)

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 03-19-2008, 11:01 AM
"Duft Markus"

Fabian Groffen <mailto:grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 19-03-2008 11:42:21 +0100, Duft Markus wrote:
>> Duft Markus <mailto:Markus.Duft@salomon.at> wrote:
>>> Fabian Groffen <mailto:grobian@gentoo.org> wrote: <snip>
>>>
>>> The rest can be done as described in the prefix-launcher bootstrap
>>> WIKI [2]. Hope this works, i'm just about to bootstrap a new prefix
>>> again too, but have problems with the SHA256 hashes, since
>>> prefix-launcher uses python 2.4 (argl...). The currently only
>>> solution i have is deleting any manifest that produces hash
>>> failures.
>>
>> Arg, forgot something: at the stage mirrorconfig (when
>> eprefix-launcher stops for the first time) you will want to svn up
>> the prefix tree. I know at that time there is no svn client
>> compiled, but you can use tortoise svn for windows for example.
>
> I selected NFS support in the SFU installer, so I hope that it also
> reasonably works, such that I can work over NFS with my dev-tree.

Wow, i never tried NFS with interix, but i think it should work (they
dropped support for it inlater version though i think ).

> (But this idea may be a bit too much to ask for Windows...)

Maybe, yes

I just had another problem. Prefix-launcher uses "-strict digest", which
means that it creates manifests with the 2.4 python, which again are
b0rked then, so i again had to delete all Manifest files from the prefix
tree after the final python 2.5 was used... What a mess. Could it be,
that portage isn't listening to -strict anymore for Manifest
verification?

Cheers, Markus

Old 03-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 19-03-2008 13:01:39 +0100, Duft Markus wrote:
> >> Arg, forgot something: at the stage mirrorconfig (when
> >> eprefix-launcher stops for the first time) you will want to svn up
> >> the prefix tree. I know at that time there is no svn client
> >> compiled, but you can use tortoise svn for windows for example.
> >
> > I selected NFS support in the SFU installer, so I hope that it also
> > reasonably works, such that I can work over NFS with my dev-tree.
>
> Wow, i never tried NFS with interix, but i think it should work (they
> dropped support for it inlater version though i think ).

urks

> > (But this idea may be a bit too much to ask for Windows...)
>
> Maybe, yes
>
> I just had another problem. Prefix-launcher uses "-strict digest", which
> means that it creates manifests with the 2.4 python, which again are
> b0rked then, so i again had to delete all Manifest files from the prefix
> tree after the final python 2.5 was used... What a mess. Could it be,
> that portage isn't listening to -strict anymore for Manifest
> verification?

Why don't we upgrade to python 2.5 in the prefix-launcher? I did the
same in bootstrap-prefix recently, as the prefix tree only contains
python 2.5 as well.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 03-19-2008, 11:54 AM
"Duft Markus"

Fabian Groffen <mailto:grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 19-03-2008 13:01:39 +0100, Duft Markus wrote:
<snip>

> Why don't we upgrade to python 2.5 in the prefix-launcher? I did the
> same in bootstrap-prefix recently, as the prefix tree only contains
> python 2.5 as well.

Yeah, i sugested that today hopefully not too much work...

Cheers, Markus

Old 03-29-2008, 05:30 AM
"alessandro salvatori"

has somebody setup some page with the current progress on Interix?

thanks!
-Alessandro