Old 03-29-2008, 05:46 AM
Fabian Groffen

Default The lost case of OpenBSD

On 28-03-2008 23:30:22 -0700, alessandro salvatori wrote:
> has somebody setup some page with the current progress on Interix?

Good question, I failed after patch, as all other necessary packages
don't compile out of the box.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 03-31-2008, 08:04 AM
"Duft Markus"

Fabian Groffen <mailto:grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 28-03-2008 23:30:22 -0700, alessandro salvatori wrote:
>> has somebody setup some page with the current progress on Interix?
>
> Good question, I failed after patch, as all other necessary packages
> don't compile out of the box.

The steps i use to bootstrap on interix is the following:

1) check out a copy of prefix-launcher HEAD from sourceforge svn (using
a windows svn client).
(svn repo:
http://prefix-launcher.svn.sf.net/svnroot/prefix-launcher/prefix-launche
r/trunk)
the checkout should be somewhere beneath the SFU/SUA directory tree
(e.g. C:SFU on XP/SFU 3.5,
and %windir%SUA on Server 2003 R2/SUA 5.2 and later). Simply create
a tools dir there (so
for example C:SFU ools and checkout prefix-launcher in a subdir of
that tools dir).
2) get GNU make sources (3.81) from some GNU mirror. (use the tar.gz,
not bz2!)
3) build GNU make in some temporary directory:
(fire up a korn shell, the link is somewhere on the start menu).
$ cd /tools (this is the one created earlier from windows for the
prefix-launcher checkout)
$ tar xfz /dev/fs/C/path/to/make-3.81.tar.gz
$ cd make*
$ ./configure --program-prefix=g
$ make && make install
4) build prefix-launcher:
$ cd /tools/prefix-launcher-trunk (or wherever you checked it out).
$ gmake install PREFIX=/tools DISTTYPE=SNAPSHOT

the PREFIX default is /usr/local. Under $PREFIX prefix-launcher
creates a directory named
prefix-launcher-1pre.<date> for example, so don't worry about
colissions with installed
software.
5) create the directory where the gentoo prefix should be installed (i
use /opt/gentoo):
$ mkdir /opt/gentoo
6) use the eprefix-bootstrap script from prefix-launcher to start
bootstrapping:
$ /tools/prefix-launcher.1pre.*/*/bin/eprefix-bootstrap
--eprefix=/opt/gentoo
7) the script stops after emerging an initial portage. Now is the time
to add at least
one mirror to /opt/gentoo/etc/make.conf, just as eprefix-bootstrap
will tell you.
8) before continuing, update the portage tree with the windows svn
client. The portage
tree can be found under C:SFUoptgentoousrportage on XP and
under
%windir%SUAoptgentoousrportage on Server 2003 R2 and later.
9) simply repeat the bootstrap command:
$ /tools/prefix-launcher.1pre.*/*/bin/eprefix-bootstrap
--eprefix=/opt/gentoo
10) the bootstrap script stops at stage useconfig again to allow
configuration of the USE
flags used for the emerge -e system. Is use "-fortran ncurses nls
python readline ssl zlib"
11) again repeat the bootstrap command:
$ /tools/prefix-launcher.1pre.*/*/bin/eprefix-bootstrap
--eprefix=/opt/gentoo

That should give a gentoo prefix just like any other

Troubleshooting:
1) If it complains, that portage failed to verify Manifest's, the do
this (this is due to
an old python in prefix-launcher, but i didn't manage to update
it... Arg):
$ find /opt/gentoo/usr/portage -name Manifest -exec rm -f {} ';'
after that continue with the same command as before.

If you have questions, just ask me.
Another thing: you will need some good profiles, and i have some. If you
are interested, just write me, and i'll send the along with some
instructions.

Cheers, Markus