-   -   RFC: changing sys-apps/portage python API to use $EROOT instead of $ROOT for keys to portage.db and similar map objects (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-alt/582398-rfc-changing-sys-apps-portage-python-api-use-eroot-instead-root-keys-portage-db-similar-map-objects.html)

Zac Medico 10-01-2011 05:34 PM

RFC: changing sys-apps/portage python API to use $EROOT instead of $ROOT for keys to portage.db and similar map objects

Hi,

As I integrate prefix support into mainline portage, I think it will
make more sense to use $EROOT instead of $ROOT for keys to portage.db
and similar map objects. This will also affect the portageq commands
which take a <root> parameter. The reason that I think $EROOT makes more
sense for these keys is that it will allow for multiple prefixes to
exist simultaneously in maps like portage.db.

This won't affect non-prefix users, since $EROOT == $ROOT when $EPREFIX
is empty. So, I'm asking here because if might affect prefix users who
use portageq, or any programs installed in a prefix that use the
sys-apps/portage python API. If necessary, I suppose that python
programs could have some compatibility code which checks whether or no
$EROOT is contained in portage.db, and fall back to "/" otherwise.
--
Thanks,
Zac