Old 09-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Askar Bektassov (Аскар Бектасов)

Default does 'emerge world' replace already updated packages?

Hi all,
My question is straightforward, under what circumstances 'emerge world' re-emerges packages even if installed and updated?
The issue I am having is that 'emerge world' reinstalls approx 46 packages. I have not been using portage for a while (was a regular Gentoo/Linux user few years ago), but usually in order to maintain an updated system

$ emerge world -pv
would have showed me only those packages which are proposed to be updated (or reinstalled if they are linked against some peculiar library).

I never used --update at that time, as its omission was already producing desired effect:
$ eix-sync$ emerge world -DN
was already moving my tree to the packages with highest best version and/or modified use flags.*

Now that I discovered Gentoo Portage, I immediately replaced fink and macports, but found a slightly different portage behavior and now I wonder if this is an issue or not (I am not even sure whether I am able to express my concern).

Thanks to anybody who can eventually address my concern,Cheers,Askar Bektassov
(Аскар Бектасов)

$ emerge --infoPortage 2.2.01.19120-prefix (prefix/darwin/macos/10.7/x64, gcc-4.2.1, unavailable, 11.1.0 x86_64)

================================================== ===============System uname: Darwin-11.1.0-x86_64-i386-64bitTimestamp of tree: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 20:39:53 +0000distcc 3.1-toolwhip.1 i386-apple-darwin11.0 [disabled]

app-shells/bash: * * *4.2_p10dev-lang/python: * * *2.7.2dev-util/cmake: * * * 2.8.5-r2dev-util/pkgconfig: * 0.25-r2sys-devel/autoconf: * 2.68sys-devel/automake: * 1.11.1

sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.1-r00.2sys-devel/libtool: * *2.4-r01.1sys-devel/make: * * * 3.82Repositories: gentoo_prefix overlayInstalled sets:*ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x64-macos"

ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"CBUILD="x86_64-apple-darwin11"CFLAGS="-march=nocona -pipe -O2"CHOST="x86_64-apple-darwin11"CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"

CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/portage /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo"CXXFLAGS="-march=nocona -pipe -O2"DISTDIR="/Users/askarbektassov/Library/Gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles"

FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs collision-protect distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles fixpackages news nostrip parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"

FFLAGS=""GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"LDFLAGS="-Wl,-dead_strip_dylibs"PKGDIR="/Users/askarbektassov/Library/Gentoo/usr/portage/packages"

PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/Users/askarbektassov/Library/Gentoo/"PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"

PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/Users/askarbektassov/Library/Gentoo/var/tmp"PORTDIR="/Users/askarbektassov/Library/Gentoo/usr/portage"PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/Users/askarbektassov/Library/Gentoo/usr/local/portage"

SYNC="rsync://rsync.prefix.freens.org/gentoo-portage-prefix"USE="aqua bash-completion coreaudio cracklib cxx exif mmx mmxext modules ncurses nls objc objc++ prefix readline sse sse2 ssl ssse3 unicode x64-macos zlib" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan stage tables krita karbon braindump" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="Darwin" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse" KERNEL="Darwin" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" PHP_TARGETS="php5-3" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"

Unset: *CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LINGUAS, MAKEOPTS, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

Askar Bektassov
(Аскар Бектасов)

Old 09-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Jeremy Olexa