Old 09-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Fabian Groffen

Default emerge gcc 4.4.x/4.5.x fails on CentOS 5.5

On 24-09-2011 08:58:00 -0400, Martin Luessi wrote:
> >> If my time allows it, I'll look into it in five minutes, this is just a
> >> message to everyone having this issue that there may be a light on the
> >> horizon!
> >
> > try USE=vanilla, see if that works
>
> Be careful with that. I was able to install gcc 4.5 using -vanilla bit
> then later on random packages would fail to compile. In particular I
> had a problem with libxml2, which seemed to get linked to system
> libraries instead of the ones in prefix. I'm not sure if this is
> related, all I know is that the problem goes away when using gcc 4.2.

You're absolutely right. It was meant as try to see if one of the
patches affected the build. The produced GCC is unusable in Prefix
indeed.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 09-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Moritz Schlarb

Okay, but - just for my understanding - why isn't it possible to have
glibc in prefix ?

Old 09-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Moritz Schlarb

Old 11-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Benda Xu

Hi,

Just to narrow things down.

** env GENTOO_PATCH_EXCLUDE=10_all_gcc-default-fortify-source.patch emerge =gcc-4.5*

on CentOS 5 works, this is the point USE=vanilla actually do the click.

that patch is for tuning on -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 by default for C, C++, ObjC, ObjC++, which is mostly for hardening the system. I guess we can disable it on certain systems.

BTW, One strange thing is that USE=-fortran emerge =gcc-4.5* works too.

Yours,
Benda