Old 05-05-2011, 07:59 AM
Burcin Erocal

Default portage modifications for prefix

Hi,

I am trying to automate the bootstrapping process for gentoo-prefix as
much as possible, partly based on the instructions here:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~darkside/prefix/gentoo/bootstrap-gentoo.xml

However, I want this to work on linux flavors other than gentoo and the
python-2.6 requirement of portage is causing problems.

One way to work around this is to use one of the portage variants
at least for the bootstrap stage. AFAICT, pkgcore seems to support
python-2.4.

Is there a list of modifications that were merged in portage to get it
to work with the prefix tree? How much work would it be to make pkgcore
or paludis support these?

Cheers,
Burcin

Old 05-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 05-05-2011 09:59:01 +0200, Burcin Erocal wrote:
> I am trying to automate the bootstrapping process for gentoo-prefix as
> much as possible, partly based on the instructions here:
>
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~darkside/prefix/gentoo/bootstrap-gentoo.xml
>
> However, I want this to work on linux flavors other than gentoo and the
> python-2.6 requirement of portage is causing problems.

This is why we bootstrap python-2.6 on all non-Linux platforms. Check
the Solaris bootstrap guide for a much less-optimistic bootstrap
procedure.

> One way to work around this is to use one of the portage variants
> at least for the bootstrap stage. AFAICT, pkgcore seems to support
> python-2.4.

Prefix support is defined in PMS as EAPI-3. The "reference"
implementation, is the Prefix portage "prefix" branch [1], which does
much more than is documented in PMS, to 1) ease transition for Prefix
users (it e.g. defines EPREFIX and friends for *all* EAPIs) and 2) check
all kinds of conditions that only make sense in an offset environment.

> Is there a list of modifications that were merged in portage to get it
> to work with the prefix tree? How much work would it be to make pkgcore
> or paludis support these?

You probably want to look at prefix-launcher (I don't know the
intrinsics of this thing), and you might want to check what the
gentoo/openbsd team is doing currently to automate their OpenBSD
bootstrap.

[1] http://prefix.gentooexperimental.org:8000/portage-prefix/graph/
(there is also the portage.git tree on git.overlays.gentoo.org)

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 05-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Jeremy Olexa

I am trying to automate the bootstrapping process for gentoo-prefix as
much as possible, partly based on the instructions here:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~darkside/prefix/gentoo/bootstrap-gentoo.xml

This document is not supportable in *any* way. I don't know how many
warnings I need to add at the top to get this point across.

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap.xml

-Jeremy