-   -   Case-sensitive filesystem (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-alt/51695-case-sensitive-filesystem.html)

Dirk Tilger 02-10-2008 06:16 AM

Case-sensitive filesystem

On 2006-11-21, Fabian Groffen <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 21-11-2006 10:56:21 -0700, Nathan wrote:
>> So, I noticed that my filesystem on my MacBook Pro isn't set to be
>> case-sensitive. What's the easiest way for me to make it case
>> sensitive? I have about 100GB of junk already and have to use the
>> machine for my daily work...
>
> You have only one partition, right? In that case, just ignore it. I
> removed the offending licence at the time it gave problems, and am using
> an case IN-sensitive filesystem for the prefix installation itself, and
> have no problems. So I'd say go for it.

Hi Fabian and everyone else,

I just ran into some problems and found this thread while researching. I
ported =dev-php/PEAR-PEAR-1.6.2 to prefix on my system and noticed that
they try to create an executable shell script "pear" in a directory that
has already the "PEAR" subdirectory.

For myself I could get around with just renaming that "pear" script to
its original name "pear.sh", but since this script might be called from
other ebuilds I'm wondering what the right approach would be to get that
change "upstream".

What's Gentoo's policy for life on a case-insensitive filesystem?

Dirk.

Fabian Groffen 02-10-2008 07:24 AM

Case-sensitive filesystem

On 10-02-2008 07:16:44 +0000, Dirk Tilger wrote:
> Hi Fabian and everyone else,
>
> I just ran into some problems and found this thread while researching. I
> ported =dev-php/PEAR-PEAR-1.6.2 to prefix on my system and noticed that
> they try to create an executable shell script "pear" in a directory that
> has already the "PEAR" subdirectory.

Yep, this happens for more packages, unfortunately.

> For myself I could get around with just renaming that "pear" script to
> its original name "pear.sh", but since this script might be called from
> other ebuilds I'm wondering what the right approach would be to get that
> change "upstream".

Only if upstream cares, they could probably rename the PEAR directory
into something that isn't case-insensitively the same.

> What's Gentoo's policy for life on a case-insensitive filesystem?

None, as it doesn't exist. And frankly, I really hate Apple doing it
even still in Leopard.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level