-   -   Idea: external compilers in gcc-config (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-alt/503686-idea-external-compilers-gcc-config.html)

Konstantin Tokarev 03-21-2011 12:22 PM

Idea: external compilers in gcc-config

Hi all,

I think it would be great to have a possibility to select "external" gcc profiles in gcc-config:
a) add "system" compiler if host system is shipped with decent gcc version;
b) add compiler from another Prefix installation.

This feature would significantly speed up bootstrap of Prefix eliminating at least one build of
gcc in Gentoo-friendly environments like Linux and Mac OS X, and give some additional
flexibility in building of system.

Konstantin

Fabian Groffen 03-21-2011 12:28 PM

On 21-03-2011 16:22:08 +0300, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think it would be great to have a possibility to select "external" gcc profiles in gcc-config:
> a) add "system" compiler if host system is shipped with decent gcc version;
> b) add compiler from another Prefix installation.
>
> This feature would significantly speed up bootstrap of Prefix eliminating at least one build of
> gcc in Gentoo-friendly environments like Linux and Mac OS X, and give some additional
> flexibility in building of system.

I bootstrapped on Fedora 14 last week by skipping all
./bootstrap-prefix.sh commands apart from tree and portage, and that
worked fine.

Skipping the emerge of compiler and linker is really going to cause
trouble, since Gentoo Prefix uses modified versions that make sure all
the tools from the Prefix are found. This is an essential bit of Gentoo
Prefix, that distinguishes it from all other solutions that are around,
because it means you don't have to do anything special to make your
libraries and tools being found, once you're in the Prefix environment.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Konstantin Tokarev 03-21-2011 12:37 PM

21.03.2011, 16:28, "Fabian Groffen" <grobian@gentoo.org>:
> On 21-03-2011 16:22:08 +0300, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
>
>> *Hi all,
>>
>> *I think it would be great to have a possibility to select "external" gcc profiles in gcc-config:
>> *a) add "system" compiler if host system is shipped with decent gcc version;
>> *b) add compiler from another Prefix installation.
>>
>> *This feature would significantly speed up bootstrap of Prefix eliminating at least one build of
>> *gcc in Gentoo-friendly environments like Linux and Mac OS X, and give some additional
>> *flexibility in building of system.
>
> I bootstrapped on Fedora 14 last week by skipping all
> ./bootstrap-prefix.sh commands apart from tree and portage, and that
> worked fine.
>
> Skipping the emerge of compiler and linker is really going to cause
> trouble, since Gentoo Prefix uses modified versions that make sure all
> the tools from the Prefix are found. *This is an essential bit of Gentoo
> Prefix, that distinguishes it from all other solutions that are around,
> because it means you don't have to do anything special to make your
> libraries and tools being found, once you're in the Prefix environment.

Isn't it possible to workaround this problem without hardcoding search paths,
e.g. using -isystem and custom ld script when running portage?

(Dreaming about relocatable Prefix)

Konstantin

Fabian Groffen 03-21-2011 12:43 PM

On 21-03-2011 16:37:13 +0300, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> Isn't it possible to workaround this problem without hardcoding search paths,
> e.g. using -isystem and custom ld script when running portage?
>
> (Dreaming about relocatable Prefix)

you can wake up now, Prefixes won't ever be relocatable, since the
offset is hardcoded in more than just some library lookups.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Konstantin Tokarev 03-21-2011 01:04 PM

21.03.2011, 16:43, "Fabian Groffen" <grobian@gentoo.org>:
> On 21-03-2011 16:37:13 +0300, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
>
>> *Isn't it possible to workaround this problem without hardcoding search paths,
>> *e.g. using -isystem and custom ld script when running portage?
>>
>> *(Dreaming about relocatable Prefix)
>
> you can wake up now, Prefixes won't ever be relocatable, since the
> offset is hardcoded in more than just some library lookups.

As far as I understand, if there were no hardcoded paths, it should be possible to
relocate Prefix with redoing of all post-installation hacks for installed packages.

OK, not relocatable full-fledged Prefix but relocatable base system... Is it possible?

Konstantin