Old 03-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Francois Bissey

Default trouble bootstraping on aix-5.3

Hi,

I have been trying to bootstrap on aix-5.3 and I am running into
numerous problems. I am following the solaris instructions as I thought
it would be the closest. But obviously there may be more stuff needed.

I set CHOST to powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0 so that it would match a profile
(bootstrap didn't seem to pick it up properly). I am currently having trouble
with wget, ./bootstrap-prefix.sh $EPREFIX/tmp wget lead to:
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wno-implicit -o wget cmpt.o connect.o convert.o cookies.o
ftp.o ftp-basic.o ftp-ls.o ftp-opie.o getopt.o hash.o host.o html-parse.o
html-url.o http.o http-ntlm.o init.o log.o main.o gen-md5.o netrc.o progress.o
ptimer.o recur.o res.o retr.o safe-ctype.o snprintf.o openssl.o url.o utils.o
version.o xmalloc.o -lintl -ldl -lssl -lcrypto
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .libintl_gettext
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .libintl_bindtextdomain
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .libintl_textdomain
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .des_set_odd_parity
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .des_set_key
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .des_ecb_encrypt
ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more information.
collect2: ld returned 8 exit status
make[1]: *** [wget] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/hpc/work/frb15/gentoo/tmp/var/tmp/wget-1.10.2/wget-1.10.2/src'
make: *** [src] Error 2
----------------

This is odd as configure seems to have picked the stuff correctly:
checking for libssl... yes
checking how to link with libssl... -lssl -lcrypto
configure: compiling in support for SSL
checking for md5_calc in -lmd5... no
configure: using the OpenSSL MD5 implementation
checking libintl.h usability... yes
checking libintl.h presence... yes
checking for libintl.h... yes
checking for gettext in -lintl... yes

For information the version of gcc currently used is
gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
Configured with: ../configure --with-as=/usr/bin/as --with-ld=/usr/bin/ld --
disable-nls --enable-languages=c,c++ --prefix=/opt/freeware --enable-threads --
enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --host=powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
Thread model: aix
gcc version 4.0.0

Thanks for any tips.

Francois

This email may be confidential and subject to legal privilege, it may
not reflect the views of the University of Canterbury, and it is not
guaranteed to be virus free. If you are not an intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message
and any attachments.

Please refer to http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/emaildisclaimer for more
information.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Michael Haubenwallner

Hi Francois,

On 03/16/11 09:29, Francois Bissey wrote:
> I have been trying to bootstrap on aix-5.3 and I am running into
> numerous problems. I am following the solaris instructions as I thought
> it would be the closest. But obviously there may be more stuff needed.

The Solaris instructions aren't meant to work for AIX.

Instead, there is prefix-launcher[1] to provide an uniform bootstrap
method for (m)any platform(s).

Right now I've released prefix-launcher-2.2.0 [2], containing support for
AIX 6.1 as well as recent TL12 of AIX 5.3.

Additionally, based on a FOSDEM idea, I've started providing binary images
of prefix-launcher installed to /var/tmp/ for various platforms - currently
aix5.3 and aix6.1 only. However, this is a first try and may not work for you.

Anyway, the instructions to bootstrap with prefix-launcher from either its
source or binary can be found in the MediaWiki of prefix-launcher[3].

[1] http://prefix-launcher.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/prefix-launcher/files/prefix-launcher/2.2/
[3] http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/prefix-launcher/index.php?title=Main_Page

> This email may be confidential and subject to legal privilege, it may
> not reflect the views of the University of Canterbury, and it is not
> guaranteed to be virus free. If you are not an intended recipient,
> please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message
> and any attachments.
>
> Please refer to http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/emaildisclaimer for more
> information.

For (public) mailing lists, such disclaimers are nothing but spam,
please stop adding it.

HTH,
/haubi/
--