-   -   planned removal of Python 2.4 and 2.5 (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-alt/488372-planned-removal-python-2-4-2-5-a.html)

Fabian Groffen 02-12-2011 09:38 AM

planned removal of Python 2.4 and 2.5

I am planning to remove python-2.4.6 and python-2.5.4-r4 from the Prefix
tree in one week from now (February 19th), unless some raises valid
arguments against doing so.

Given that Python is a real pain to maintain for Prefix, and that the
Gentoo maintainers are not really of any help in moving Python to gx86,
I would like to start focussing on the version of Python that we want
ultimately in gx86. Therefore, I would like to remove python:2.4,
python:2.5 and python:2.6. This effectively means I would like to make
python:2.7 candidate for pushing to gx86. In preparation for this, I
want to remove python:2.4 and python:2.5 from our tree. On my main
development system, I have python:2.6 and python:2.7 installed
(USE_PYTHON="2.6 2.7"), but python:2.7 is my main interpreter and I
haven't seen any problems yet.

If you are using python:2.4 and python:2.5, it is a good time to stop
doing so now, or raise any argument as to why this is necessary so
badly.

Last but not least:
If you are unable to install python:2.7 right now, then it is a very
good moment to start trying to do so, report bugs, etc., since I plan to
remove python:2.6 not too long from now as well.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Fabian Groffen 02-19-2011 07:08 PM

On 12-02-2011 11:38:19 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> I am planning to remove python-2.4.6 and python-2.5.4-r4 from the Prefix
> tree in one week from now (February 19th), unless some raises valid
> arguments against doing so.

Both versions were removed.

> Last but not least:
> If you are unable to install python:2.7 right now, then it is a very
> good moment to start trying to do so, report bugs, etc., since I plan to
> remove python:2.6 not too long from now as well.

Removal of python-2.6.5-r2 is scheduled for March 5th, 2011.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Fabian Groffen 04-05-2011 02:11 PM

On 19-02-2011 21:08:21 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> > Last but not least:
> > If you are unable to install python:2.7 right now, then it is a very
> > good moment to start trying to do so, report bugs, etc., since I plan to
> > remove python:2.6 not too long from now as well.
>
> Removal of python-2.6.5-r2 is scheduled for March 5th, 2011.

A month overdue, python:2.6 is now gone.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level