FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Alt

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-21-2011, 08:01 AM
François Bissey
 
Default Questions on making ebuilds on OS X

Hi all,

I have been toying with a Gentoo prefix on OS X (10.5) for the
last month.

I spent most of my time getting things in shape to have sage from
the sage-on-gentoo overlay build on OS X.

I have something that runs now and I'd like to clean up my work
and put some of it in good shape for submission.

I was working on x86-macos with 10.5 and a friend of mine was
testing on x64-macos with 10.6 (he also have a ppc-macos, presumably
10.4 on which he plans to test the stuff).

1) I have one ebuild in which I need to set
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET
How do I identify the various flavours of OS X, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, to set
it right?

2) framework: I noticed that we build the python framework. Do we preferably
build framework? Or the reverse? I have worked on dev-lang/R and I didn't
build it as a framework and ended up with a bunch of .so which should have
been ".bundle" I believe.

3) how do you do debugging? I installed gdb-apple and build stuff with
-ggdb and nostripe, but gdb still says it cannot find the symbols...

Cheers,
Francois
 
Old 02-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Fabian Groffen
 
Default Questions on making ebuilds on OS X

On 21-01-2011 22:01:17 +1300, François Bissey wrote:
> I have been toying with a Gentoo prefix on OS X (10.5) for the
> last month.
>
> I spent most of my time getting things in shape to have sage from
> the sage-on-gentoo overlay build on OS X.
>
> I have something that runs now and I'd like to clean up my work
> and put some of it in good shape for submission.
>
> I was working on x86-macos with 10.5 and a friend of mine was
> testing on x64-macos with 10.6 (he also have a ppc-macos, presumably
> 10.4 on which he plans to test the stuff).
>
> 1) I have one ebuild in which I need to set
> MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET
> How do I identify the various flavours of OS X, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, to set
> it right?

I'd like to trace down why your package needs this to be set. The
Prefix profiles for OSX already set MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET explicitly
to the right version. Check make.defaults and profile.bashrc.

> 2) framework: I noticed that we build the python framework. Do we preferably
> build framework? Or the reverse? I have worked on dev-lang/R and I didn't
> build it as a framework and ended up with a bunch of .so which should have
> been ".bundle" I believe.

We build the framework *next* to the normal UNIX way, just because of
graphical application support for Python. Due to how OSX works, a
graphical application that uses CoreGraphics (or something) needs to
call those methods from a Bundle environment, which a Framework is.
It is preferred not to build in frameworks in Gentoo Prefix from my
point of view where possible. Note that Python is built in both ways,
such that you only need to worry about the Framework when you do a
graphical app (which in general only looks for the Framework, so that
works out nicely).

The .so vs .bundle is an a problem sometimes solved using elibtoolize,
but in R's case probably by patching the buildsystem.

> 3) how do you do debugging? I installed gdb-apple and build stuff with
> -ggdb and nostripe, but gdb still says it cannot find the symbols...

This largely depends on the code you're debugging. gdb-apple works fine
for me, but of course parts from the system are without debugging symbols.


--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level
 
Old 02-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Francois Bissey
 
Default Questions on making ebuilds on OS X

Title: Re: [gentoo-alt] Questions on making ebuilds on OS X







> On 21-01-2011 22:01:17 +1300, François Bissey wrote:

> > I have been toying with a Gentoo prefix on OS X (10.5) for the

> > last month.

> >

> > I spent most of my time getting things in shape to have sage from

> > the sage-on-gentoo overlay build on OS X.

> >

> > I have something that runs now and I'd like to clean up my work

> > and put some of it in good shape for submission.

> >

> > I was working on x86-macos with 10.5 and a friend of mine was

> > testing on x64-macos with 10.6 (he also have a ppc-macos, presumably

> > 10.4 on which he plans to test the stuff).

> >

> > 1) I have one ebuild in which I need to set

> > MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET

> > How do I identify the various flavours of OS X, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, to set

> > it right?

>

> I'd like to trace down why your package needs this to be set.* The

> Prefix profiles for OSX already set MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET explicitly

> to the right version.* Check make.defaults and profile.bashrc.

>



I didn't know this at the time I wrote my message. It is indeed set just fine

by the system.



> > 2) framework: I noticed that we build the python framework. Do we

> > preferably build framework? Or the reverse? I have worked on dev-lang/R

> > and I didn't build it as a framework and ended up with a bunch of .so

> > which should have been ".bundle" I believe.

>

> We build the framework *next* to the normal UNIX way, just because of

> graphical application support for Python.* Due to how OSX works, a

> graphical application that uses CoreGraphics (or something) needs to

> call those methods from a Bundle environment, which a Framework is.

> It is preferred not to build in frameworks in Gentoo Prefix from my

> point of view where possible.* Note that Python is built in both ways,

> such that you only need to worry about the Framework when you do a

> graphical app (which in general only looks for the Framework, so that

> works out nicely).

>

> The .so vs .bundle is an a problem sometimes solved using elibtoolize,

> but in R's case probably by patching the buildsystem.

>



Ok, I tried to build the framework for R but the install routine to install

the framework is just awful.



Francois








This email may be confidential and subject to legal privilege, it may
not reflect the views of the University of Canterbury, and it is not
guaranteed to be virus free. If you are not an intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message
and any attachments.

Please refer to http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/emaildisclaimer for more
information.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:46 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org