FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Alt

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Konstantin Tokarev
 
Default Gentoo and Mac bundles

Hi all,

I've found that GUI application coming with Qt (Designer, Assistant, Linguist; Qt Creator is also affected)
are installed in non-bundled form. This introduces user experience issue - icon is not shown in the dock.
"Normal" Qt build on Mac OS outside prefix produces bundled apps.

Is this behavior intentional? Note that this application are not supposed to be used from command line.

Also I suppose missing bundle may be a reason for corruption of Assistant GUI (displaced toolbar) which
does not happen when Qt is build outside prefix

--
Regards,
Konstantin
 
Old 02-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Fabian Groffen
 
Default Gentoo and Mac bundles

On 10-12-2010 22:07:11 +0300, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> I've found that GUI application coming with Qt (Designer, Assistant, Linguist; Qt Creator is also affected)
> are installed in non-bundled form. This introduces user experience issue - icon is not shown in the dock.
> "Normal" Qt build on Mac OS outside prefix produces bundled apps.

You mean by "bundled" that it is installed in a .app directory
structure, right?

> Is this behavior intentional? Note that this application are not supposed to be used from command line.

I think it is intentional to at least provide a symlink (or wrapper that
calls open /path/too/My.app) in usr/bin to the app like it would be
available on Linux, but there is nothing against building the bundles if
that actually makes it work right.

> Also I suppose missing bundle may be a reason for corruption of Assistant GUI (displaced toolbar) which
> does not happen when Qt is build outside prefix

This may be very well indeed the problem. If you have ideas on how to
improve them, please share them.


--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level
 
Old 02-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Konstantin Tokarev
 
Default Gentoo and Mac bundles

06.02.2011, 15:04, "Fabian Groffen" <grobian@gentoo.org>:
> On 10-12-2010 22:07:11 +0300, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
>
>> *I've found that GUI application coming with Qt (Designer, Assistant, Linguist; Qt Creator is also affected)
>> *are installed in non-bundled form. This introduces user experience issue - icon is not shown in the dock.
>> *"Normal" Qt build on Mac OS outside prefix produces bundled apps.
>
> You mean by "bundled" that it is installed in a .app directory
> structure, right?

Yep.

>
>> *Is this behavior intentional? Note that this application are not supposed to be used from command line.
>
> I think it is intentional to at least provide a symlink (or wrapper that
> calls open /path/too/My.app) in usr/bin to the app like it would be
> available on Linux, but there is nothing against building the bundles if
> that actually makes it work right.

I guess something is wrong in qt4.eclass or mkspec macx-g++ (if it's changed in Gentoo somehow).
Qt projects provide Mac-specific logic, and it works fine when building with official Qt libraries, but IIRC
"manual" building of Qt projects with qmake from Gentoo produces similar "broken" bundles (will check it ASAP)

>
>> *Also I suppose missing bundle may be a reason for corruption of Assistant GUI (displaced toolbar) which
>> *does not happen when Qt is build outside prefix
>
> This may be very well indeed the problem. *If you have ideas on how to
> improve them, please share them.
>

No idea how to debug it yet. Maybe fixing of first issue will bring some light though.

--
Regards,
Konstantin
 
Old 02-08-2011, 05:21 AM
 
Default Gentoo and Mac bundles

*Is this behavior intentional? Note that this application are not supposed to be used from command line.


I think it is intentional to at least provide a symlink (or wrapper that
calls open /path/too/My.app) in usr/bin to the app like it would be
available on Linux, but there is nothing against building the bundles if
that actually makes it work right.


I guess something is wrong in qt4.eclass or mkspec macx-g++ (if it's changed in Gentoo somehow).
Qt projects provide Mac-specific logic, and it works fine when building with official Qt libraries, but IIRC
"manual" building of Qt projects with qmake from Gentoo produces similar "broken" bundles (will check it ASAP)


i have noticed that qt with prefix uses the unix install, not the mac
way so bundles are not default. i actaully like it this way. perhaps a
use flag bundle would be need. ideally your app should work both ways.
only exception would user global config files like /etc/foo versus /Library/foo
and ~/.foo and ~/Library/foo


matt
 
Old 02-08-2011, 06:49 AM
Konstantin Tokarev
 
Default Gentoo and Mac bundles

08.02.2011, 09:21, mattmatteh@gmail.com:
>>>> **Is this behavior intentional? Note that this application are not supposed to be used from command line.
>>> *I think it is intentional to at least provide a symlink (or wrapper that
>>> *calls open /path/too/My.app) in usr/bin to the app like it would be
>>> *available on Linux, but there is nothing against building the bundles if
>>> *that actually makes it work right.
>> *I guess something is wrong in qt4.eclass or mkspec macx-g++ (if it's changed in Gentoo somehow).
>> *Qt projects provide Mac-specific logic, and it works fine when building with official Qt libraries, but IIRC
>> *"manual" building of Qt projects with qmake from Gentoo produces similar "broken" bundles (will check it ASAP)
>
> i have noticed that qt with prefix uses the unix install, not the mac
> way so bundles are not default. *

You are not correct, bundles ARE created, but executable is placed outcide bundle

>i actaully like it this way.

Do you like to have applications with default "Unix application" icon in your dock? ))
Console utilities are not bundled.

Also, executables of Qt applications like designer, assistant, etc. are named
differently on Mac (e.g. designer -> Designer, qtcreator -> Qt Creator), so installation
differs anyway


--
Regards,
Konstantin
 
Old 02-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Konstantin Tokarev
 
Default Gentoo and Mac bundles

08.02.2011, 09:21, mattmatteh@gmail.com:
>*perhaps a use flag bundle would be need. *ideally your app should work both ways.

I can imagine global setting of "CONFIG -= app_bundle" for all qmake-base ebuilds as
implementation of USE="-bundles", but I'm not sure that all applications will be able
to find their resources or plugins after this trick

--
Regards,
Konstantin
 
Old 02-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Fabian Groffen
 
Default Gentoo and Mac bundles

On 08-02-2011 21:43:46 +0300, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> 08.02.2011, 09:21, mattmatteh@gmail.com:
> >*perhaps a use flag bundle would be need. *ideally your app should work both ways.
>
> I can imagine global setting of "CONFIG -= app_bundle" for all
> qmake-base ebuilds as implementation of USE="-bundles", but I'm not
> sure that all applications will be able to find their resources or
> plugins after this trick

I'm not in favour of adding a USE-flag for bundle installs. I think we
should try to fix up the eclass, such that it installs perhaps symlinks
pointing to the bundle versions.


--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level
 
Old 02-20-2011, 06:39 PM
 
Default Gentoo and Mac bundles

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011, Fabian Groffen wrote:


On 08-02-2011 21:43:46 +0300, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:

08.02.2011, 09:21, mattmatteh@gmail.com:

*perhaps a use flag bundle would be need. *ideally your app should work both ways.


I can imagine global setting of "CONFIG -= app_bundle" for all
qmake-base ebuilds as implementation of USE="-bundles", but I'm not
sure that all applications will be able to find their resources or
plugins after this trick


I'm not in favour of adding a USE-flag for bundle installs. I think we
should try to fix up the eclass, such that it installs perhaps symlinks
pointing to the bundle versions.


not sure i am either. some applications support the unix install, and
some support a bundle install, some support both ? so how can we support
each of those installs ?


also, if a package defaults to a bundle install, doesnt that usually have
all the dependency libs packaged too ?


if prefix were to make the bundle app in ${EPREFIX}/Applications would
that be symlinks to ${EPREFIX}/path/to/file ?
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:50 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org