Old 11-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Konstantin Tokarev

Default ppc-macos = ppc && x86-macos ?

Hi all,

It seems to me like many packages working on ppc-macos are not keyworded
But package working on ppc and x86-macos or x86_64-macos is likely to be
working for ppc-macos (also, package working for x86 and ppc-macos will work
on x86-macos, and so on)

Maybe it's worth to add special mode to portage-prefix accepting such keyword
combinations (e.g., when some option is specified in emerge command line)?

Konstantin

Old 11-09-2010, 06:42 AM
Konstantin Tokarev

07.11.2010, 18:51, "Konstantin Tokarev" <annulen@yandex.ru>:
> Hi all,
>
> It seems to me like many packages working on ppc-macos are not keyworded
> But package working on ppc and x86-macos or x86_64-macos is likely to be
> working for ppc-macos (also, package working for x86 and ppc-macos will work
> on x86-macos, and so on)
>
> Maybe it's worth to add special mode to portage-prefix accepting such keyword
> combinations (e.g., when some option is specified in emerge command line)?

Also, I suppose ppc64-macos = ppc64 && X-macos (X - some other arch). It would
be useful for those who tries ppc64-macos prefix because too few packages are
keyworded

Konstantin

Old 11-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 09-11-2010 10:42:41 +0300, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:

> 07.11.2010, 18:51, "Konstantin Tokarev" <annulen@yandex.ru>:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It seems to me like many packages working on ppc-macos are not keyworded
> > But package working on ppc and x86-macos or x86_64-macos is likely to be
> > working for ppc-macos (also, package working for x86 and ppc-macos will work
> > on x86-macos, and so on)
> >
> > Maybe it's worth to add special mode to portage-prefix accepting such keyword
> > combinations (e.g., when some option is specified in emerge command line)?
>
> Also, I suppose ppc64-macos = ppc64 && X-macos (X - some other arch). It would
> be useful for those who tries ppc64-macos prefix because too few packages are
> keyworded

actually none are keyworded ppc64-macos.

It is not safe to assume that what compiles on ppc(-linux) also compiles
on ppc-macos. While it is likely that *-macos all or none compile, it
is also best to first verify that, before assuming it is.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 11-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Konstantin Tokarev

09.11.2010, 11:59, "Fabian Groffen" <grobian@gentoo.org>:
> On 09-11-2010 10:42:41 +0300, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
>
>> *07.11.2010, 18:51, "Konstantin Tokarev" <annulen@yandex.ru>;:
>>> *Hi all,
>>>
>>> *It seems to me like many packages working on ppc-macos are not keyworded
>>> *But package working on ppc and x86-macos or x86_64-macos is likely to be
>>> *working for ppc-macos (also, package working for x86 and ppc-macos will work
>>> *on x86-macos, and so on)
>>>
>>> *Maybe it's worth to add special mode to portage-prefix accepting such keyword
>>> *combinations (e.g., when some option is specified in emerge command line)?
>> *Also, I suppose ppc64-macos = ppc64 && X-macos (X - some other arch). It would
>> *be useful for those who tries ppc64-macos prefix because too few packages are
>> *keyworded
>
> actually none are keyworded ppc64-macos.
>
> It is not safe to assume that what compiles on ppc(-linux) also compiles
> on ppc-macos. *While it is likely that *-macos all or none compile, it
> is also best to first verify that, before assuming it is.

Hmm, I hoped that most of *-macos should at least compile
(I didn't explore very many packages, but most of ~ppc-macos do compile)

Konstantin

Old 11-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 09-11-2010 12:02:42 +0300, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> > actually none are keyworded ppc64-macos.
> >
> > It is not safe to assume that what compiles on ppc(-linux) also compiles
> > on ppc-macos. *While it is likely that *-macos all or none compile, it
> > is also best to first verify that, before assuming it is.
>
> Hmm, I hoped that most of *-macos should at least compile
> (I didn't explore very many packages, but most of ~ppc-macos do compile)

If the keyword ~ppc-macos is there, the package should compile on that
platform, that's the idea. Due to it being by primary development
platform, this arch has traditionally always been the best represented
one:
http://stats.prefix.freens.org/keywords-packages.png

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 11-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Konstantin Tokarev

09.11.2010, 12:06, "Fabian Groffen" <grobian@gentoo.org>:
> On 09-11-2010 12:02:42 +0300, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
>
>>> *actually none are keyworded ppc64-macos.
>>>
>>> *It is not safe to assume that what compiles on ppc(-linux) also compiles
>>> *on ppc-macos. *While it is likely that *-macos all or none compile, it
>>> *is also best to first verify that, before assuming it is.
>> *Hmm, I hoped that most of *-macos should at least compile
>> *(I didn't explore very many packages, but most of ~ppc-macos do compile)
>
> If the keyword ~ppc-macos is there, the package should compile on that
> platform, that's the idea. *Due to it being by primary development
> platform, this arch has traditionally always been the best represented
> one:
> http://stats.prefix.freens.org/keywords-packages.png

I've meant that if ebuild compiles on *both* ppc and Y-macos (Y - other arch),
it probably works on ppc-macos because:
1) it supports PowerPC
2) it supports Gentoo Prefix
3) is supports Mac OS X

I think it could be extrapolated to other cases like ebuild keyworded on X and
Y-platform will probably work for X-platform

Konstantin

Old 11-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Konstantin Tokarev

> I've meant that if ebuild compiles on *both* ppc and Y-macos (Y - other arch),
> it probably works on ppc-macos because:
> 1) it supports PowerPC
> 2) it supports Gentoo Prefix
> 3) is supports Mac OS X
>
> I think it could be extrapolated to other cases like ebuild keyworded on X and
> Y-platform will probably work for X-platform

Update: ebuild must not contain "-*" (as Valgrind which supports ppc and x86-macos,
but not ppc-macos)

Konstantin